Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 7:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Illinois Halloween Raffle

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Rowen.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Illinois
United States
Member #80376
September 25, 2009
57 Posts
Posted: October 16, 2009, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

illi raffle's behind in selling.  There are 260,000 tickets left and it's  past mid-oct. 

So what if,   what if !  there are 100,000 tickets unsold by oct 31? they hold drawing, and give out 5 millions and some 100k prizes and some 1k prizes , if giving same # of prizes   you odds are much  better,  sort of like   winning a bunch of millions from 400,000 random numbers instead of  from  in 500,000

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: October 16, 2009, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

illi raffle's behind in selling.  There are 260,000 tickets left and it's  past mid-oct. 

So what if,   what if !  there are 100,000 tickets unsold by oct 31? they hold drawing, and give out 5 millions and some 100k prizes and some 1k prizes , if giving same # of prizes   you odds are much  better,  sort of like   winning a bunch of millions from 400,000 random numbers instead of  from  in 500,000

That's interesting that they might not sell all the tickets and makes me wonder about something.

Do they take all the unsold ticket numbers out of the drawing and just draw from the sold numbers so that all prizes are won?

Or do unbought winning ticket prizes just go unawarded?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10389 Posts
      Posted: October 17, 2009, 12:01 am - IP Logged

Good questions!

From the Illinois Lotery website:

How do you play HALLOWEEN MILLIONAIRE RAFFLE?
      Buybuying a ticket! Tickets for the Illinois Lottery's HALLOWEENMILLIONAIRE RAFFLE can be purchased at Illinois Lottery retailersthroughout the state. A total of 500,000 raffle tickets will be available, and will be sold in numeric order. Sales begin October 1 andwill be available through 2 p.m. on October 31, 2009 - or sooner ifearly sell-out occurs.

Kind of vague as to whether all tickdets have to be sold or not. I don't see anything posted about that on the site.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Milwaukee, WI
        United States
        Member #3131
        December 27, 2003
        665 Posts
        Posted: October 17, 2009, 3:23 am - IP Logged

I went all the way down to Illinois and forgot to buy my raffle  ticket....

I remember at one time it said that it could be extended of not all the tickets were sold.

Wisconsin had a raffle and they ran the drawing even though not all the tickets were sold. No wonder that they only ran one raffle!

MarkP

Illinois
          United States
          Member #81391
          October 17, 2009
          24 Posts
          Posted: October 17, 2009, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

Hi all, new member - just found website.  

I have been playing these raffles since they began - in what 04 - 05 ?  usually buy about 5 tickets spread out a few weeks apart.  never even close.  i know quite a few people who have purchased each time - again never even close.

i sent an email to the illinois lottery asking why they dont have the million dollar drawings live on television and i was told it was all computer generated, it would take too much time.  again i had to emphasize "just the 4 million dollar winners" (gotta love those state employees).  basically i was shunned and thanked for participating in the raffle.

anyway, while the lottery sells 500k tickets at $20 for a cool 10 million, they are giving away 5 of that 10 - but are they really?

look at the illinois website of unclaimed $1000 prizes - there are a ton.  however, they wont even tell you the 4 people that won the million.

i do have one ticket for this drawing, good luck to me.

thanks!

Cha$e-IL's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
            Chicago
            United States
            Member #58821
            February 27, 2008
            16 Posts
            Posted: October 17, 2009, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

I think I played once...didnt like the odds...I'm convinced th Il lottery is rigged or least somthing funny is going on...I called the lottery once to ask for a list of winning ticket locations, I was asked why I needed that info,and after I explained that it was part of my playing strategy they then told me to send a blank check because at this time they didnt know how much it would cost...Now who in the hell does that...So now I have to check their website after every drawing since its listed and keep track it...funny thing is...you would think that there would be more winners in Chicago since thats the largest population in the state...but its just the opposite the northern/northwest suburbs around Chicago hit more...go figure...I'm in the process of trying to get a list/number of lottery retailers by county...let see how that goes

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10389 Posts
              Posted: October 17, 2009, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

Cha$e-IL

Not sure if you're talking Number games or the raffle, but if it's number games there sure are a lot of winners in Chicago.

Here's the Little Lotto jackpots for this year.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/186805/10

The Pick 6 (Lotto) hasn't been hit enough to really show anything.

The last 2nd Chance promotion had most of the winners in Chicago, most 2nd Chance promotions do - unless, of course, if you call anything south of 183rd Street "Downstate".

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Milwaukee, WI
                United States
                Member #3131
                December 27, 2003
                665 Posts
                Posted: October 25, 2009, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

Good or bad, I bought 1 raffle ticket today......

Millionaire Raffle Tickets Left -  105,266

So 394,734 sold

$7,894,680 sold

$5,000,000 in prizes...

$2,894,680 in profit so far....

MarkP

Illinois
                  United States
                  Member #81391
                  October 17, 2009
                  24 Posts
                  Posted: October 27, 2009, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

all this money the state is making and we are still in debt so deep.  same as the government - you win 200 million - IRS is going to take 30-40%, 80 million dollars - where does that go???

Milwaukee, WI
                    United States
                    Member #3131
                    December 27, 2003
                    665 Posts
                    Posted: October 29, 2009, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

all this money the state is making and we are still in debt so deep.  same as the government - you win 200 million - IRS is going to take 30-40%, 80 million dollars - where does that go???

Combined state and fed taxes is 28% for Ill.

Of course the winner will fall into "O"s over 250K camp so taxes might be a bit more....

So the million $ winner should get a check for $720,000....

I would NOT complain about paying taxes on a million....  :-)

MarkP

Milwaukee, WI
                      United States
                      Member #3131
                      December 27, 2003
                      665 Posts
                      Posted: October 29, 2009, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

PS 

Millionaire Raffle Tickets Left -  13,380
                      Ticket Count Updated -  10/29/09 10:00 PM 

So all the tickets should be sold out tomorrow...

MarkP

Chicago, IL
                        United States
                        Member #80641
                        October 1, 2009
                        11 Posts
                        Posted: November 1, 2009, 12:39 am - IP Logged

So yeah I bought one ticket.....didn't win. But I thought it was worth a shot. I'll probably buy a couple more during the next raffle. I really feel like Illinois lottery should take some hints from the Michigan lottery, there raffles are great; with much better odds.

Illinois
                          United States
                          Member #81391
                          October 17, 2009
                          24 Posts
                          Posted: November 1, 2009, 11:22 am - IP Logged

only bought 2 this time, after all the speculation.  they use a computer to draw the winning numbers.  why not air the 4 million dollar prizes on television?  (there isnt enough time, they say)  it cant any longer than the lotto balls.

its amazing how many 1000 prizes were still unclaimed from last years halloween raffle - makes ya wonder....

BTW, i didnt win, i was within 150 of one of the numbers tho.

Milwaukee, WI
                            United States
                            Member #3131
                            December 27, 2003
                            665 Posts
                            Posted: November 2, 2009, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

I missed by 336 for the $1,000

But 2 stores that I often buy tickets at sold $1,000 tickets....

MarkP

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
                              Illinois
                              United States
                              Member #82001
                              November 3, 2009
                              890 Posts
                              Posted: November 3, 2009, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

Don't feel too bad because I got ya beat!!! I missed the 100,000 by 4 numbers a year or two ago. Arghh...what a difference a few minutes make. Fate was not smiling on me that day.