Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 9:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do the folks in the East always seem to win??

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Texas Joey.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10391 Posts
Posted: October 8, 2009, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Actually this thread could be titled, "Why do people on the other side of the country always seem to win?"

(Or the Midwest, South, etc...)

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Bagent's avatar - avatar 10424.gif
    Vancouver, WA
    United States
    Member #53665
    July 15, 2007
    151 Posts
    Posted: October 9, 2009, 1:59 am - IP Logged

Actually this thread could be titled, "Why do people on the other side of the country always seem to win?"

(Or the Midwest, South, etc...)

OK Coin Toss, I stand corrected and agree to be more PC in the future. Embarassed

United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10391 Posts
      Posted: October 9, 2009, 2:22 am - IP Logged

OK Coin Toss, I stand corrected and agree to be more PC in the future. Embarassed

Nothing really PC to it, Bagent,

Go to the MM or PB websites and the FAQ pages and you'll see this covered.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

sunjune6's avatar - Lottery-010.jpg
        Atlanta,GA
        United States
        Member #79429
        September 1, 2009
        103 Posts
        Posted: October 10, 2009, 9:46 am - IP Logged

I want to thank all that have responded to my question.

First off, I in no way didn't like the answer that I got when I asked this question the first time, I just never felt that I had the answer explained fully.

Secondly, I think I understand the responses that I got this time, just a little let down in the sense, if I understand correctly, that since I live in a state that had low numbers of tickets sold compared to the higher population centers of the East, that my chances of winning a JP are basicly slim to none.

I guess I am just a dumb ole' country boy transplanted from the South, cuz I can't figure out why my chances of getting more than 1 or 2 numbers to match on a ticket are based on being in a state that has a large population.

If I go off the explanations given, my chances of winning a JP living in the state of Washington are so small, if I base the chances of winning on population, then I don't even have the same odds as listed for the game itself (1 in 175,711,536) due to living in Washington.

As stated earlier, I am an ole' country boy and statistics and such are not a strong suit at all.  That is why the stupid questions to try and understand what is going on.  Just depressing to think that I have a less than snowball chance in hell of winning. :(

Think of all of the tickets sold to this day; if you play every drawing; your chance just got better; Keep playing the same numbers. After each drawing they are getting closer to your numbers.

If you think you can or if you think you can't you are right!

Today could be the day!

United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10391 Posts
          Posted: October 10, 2009, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

From the Powerball website FAQ page:

HOW COME THE ONLY JACKPOT WINNERS ARE FROM THE [EAST - WEST - NORTH - SOUTH - CITIES - RURAL AREAS]?
          HOW COME ONLY [WHITE, BLACK, TALL, SKINNY, YOUNG, OLD] PEOPLE WIN?

Powerball is a random game that knows nothing about who buys a ticketor where the ticket was purchased. There really is nowhite/black/old/young/rich/poor, etc.] button on the machine. If onedraws a box around some group of players (eg., state border, haircolor, shoe size), then that group of players will win in proportion totheir play. If the defined group buys 10% of the tickets, then theywill win 10% of the prizes - on average and over a reasonable period oftime. The Law of Large numbers explains how random expectations becometruer as the number of occurrences increases. So, if players in aparticular group buy 8.6754% of the tickets, then we will find, if thenumber of occurrences (prizes awarded) are large enough, that thoseplayers win 8.6754% of the prizes. This is definitely true for thelow-tier prizes where there are large numbers of winners. With 12 to 15jackpot winners in a year, we would expect that these percentages canget out of sync with sales from time to time, but as the number ofjackpot winners continues to increase, we will find that the percentagenumbers move closer and closer to being the same number. Try thisexperiment. Flip a coin four times. You might get 75% heads - or even100%. But then flip it 1,000 times (no cheating). You will come muchcloser to the statistical expectation of 50% heads. It really does NOTmake any difference where you buy your ticket.

Lep

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
            Member #4877
            May 30, 2004
            5143 Posts
            Posted: October 10, 2009, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

Interesting.

Did you check the stats on tickets sold east coast vs west coast?

Seems like that would likely make the difference.

g@@d>observe>>>>>>>>but,>>>>>>>>??

check............."left" brain>>>>>>>>>>??

check............."right" brain>>>>>>>>>??

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

psykomo

Texas Joey's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg
              Katy, Tx
              United States
              Member #67709
              December 3, 2008
              204 Posts
              Posted: October 11, 2009, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

Bless your little heart....Good luck to you too.

Big Smile  Joey