Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 3:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If Your State Had Both Powerball and Mega Millions

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 7 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

If your state had both Powerball and Mega Millions would you spend more than usual or the same?

I would spend more because of the added game [ 17 ]  [45.95%]
The same by splitting the bet or choosing one game [ 20 ]  [54.05%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: October 14, 2009, 2:54 am - IP Logged

Personally I think I would wind up spending more because I'd want to play my favorite numbers on both games.

If I was just playing QP's I might go with the higher Jackpot or better odds though.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Columbia City, Indiana
    United States
    Member #2978
    December 9, 2003
    381 Posts
    Posted: October 14, 2009, 10:15 am - IP Logged

I have to admit, Ridge Runner, that's a chin scratcher. I thought about it for a while, but finally I decided I'd play both games for the same reasons you've stated.

I drove to Michigan yesterday to buy some MegaMillions tickets. I cashed in ten bucks worth from previous drawings, and still spent sixty-five dollars. I didn't hit a single number in last night's drawing, but my tickets are still good through next Tuesday (I always play for three draws at a time in case no one hits the big one). On my way home, I cashed in some PowerBall tickets worth $85.00, and bought my tickets for that game as well.

I suppose, though, if the MegaMillions jackpot stood at $200 million, as it does now, and the PowerBall was at its minimum, I'd probably favor the MegaMillions game with my wagering budget, and vice-versa. I generally don't play QP's unless I'm in a hurry, but sometimes I'll sit down with a few blank bet slips and just mark some numbers at random. I figure I can blindly choose numbers that don't win anything at least as well as any computer and, so far, this theory has proven to be accurate.

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: October 15, 2009, 12:36 am - IP Logged

I will probably just end up spending more money. Not much though. If we do get Mega Millions in my state, I will probably just play a couple of lines each drawing.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #74096
        May 2, 2009
        22944 Posts
        Posted: October 15, 2009, 1:00 am - IP Logged

I'd probably shift to the game where more money was to be won.

I don't normally play PB here in PA unless it's way up there.

Mega Millions, they really can keep it for all I care. It's just another game added to the many...too many...we already have.

If they want to keep bringing games for us to play then they can see to it that more than one person wins a jackpot they'll never in one

lifetime use.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: October 15, 2009, 8:57 am - IP Logged

I suppose you'd be a less-than-happy camper if your Friday Mega numbers showed up in Saturday's PBall drawing. ThudCrying

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19830 Posts
            Posted: October 15, 2009, 11:38 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't be contributing to the build-up of the smaller jackpots any longer because I would only play the one with large jackpot.   I would probably wait until their cash value was $50M or more before playing either. 

If other players did like wise they might need larger starting jackpots to attract players after a jackpot is won, but that shouldn't be a problem with more states contributing to the pot.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Raven62's avatar - binary
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              49784 Posts
              Posted: October 15, 2009, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

The Matrix will change for both Games: Probably wind up being the same (75 WB & 75 MB/PB).

You didn't offer any other options in the Poll, but I think I'll play MM/PB less or not at all, and just play the State Lottery (much better Odds)!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                Member #52345
                May 21, 2007
                2659 Posts
                Posted: October 15, 2009, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

if we got the powerball here in VA ....I'd probably play less

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19830 Posts
                  Posted: October 15, 2009, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

The Matrix will change for both Games: Probably wind up being the same (75 WB & 75 MB/PB).

You didn't offer any other options in the Poll, but I think I'll play MM/PB less or not at all, and just play the State Lottery (much better Odds)!

One chance in millions of winning the jackpot sounds bad enough, one in a Billion?

possible combos of 5 / 75 + 1 / 75 bonus numbers = 1294454250
                    MATCH   ODDS                     WINNING COMBOS 
                    5/5+B  1 : 1294454250             1             
                    5/5+0  1 : 17492625               74             
                    4/5+B  1 : 3698441                350           
                    4/5+0  1 : 49979                  25900           
                    3/5+B  1 : 53601                  24150           
                    3/5+0  1 : 724                    1787100       
                    2/5+B  1 : 2365                   547400         
                    1/5+B  1 : 282                    4584475         
                    0/5+B  1 : 107                    12103014       

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                    San Angelo, Texas
                    United States
                    Member #1097
                    January 31, 2003
                    1394 Posts
                    Posted: October 15, 2009, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

I will probably play the game with larger jackpot.

The PB folks are probably unhappy over the fact that the matrix change hasn't produced the huge jackpots they might have
                    anticipated. The game is being hit often. Add several million more players and the jackpots probably won't climb very fast.

A matrix change is coming for sure, probably pick 5 of 60+. plus a bonus ball.

If it goes to 5 of 70+, I'll start playing Texas Lotto and Pick 5 again. However, Texas Lotto, pick 6 of 54, has gone 45 drawings without a
                    winner.

Those lottery folks who know how to maximize greed to their advantage, are probably ready to introduce a game that willl be hard to win.

You look around the world and there aren't many national lotteries. And the few that I know about seem to be happy with
                    pick 6 of 49. My thoughts are that the national game will probably be some type of pick 7 game with a bonus ball. Tickets will cost
                    more than a dollar. But, who knows!

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                      Member #32537
                      February 12, 2006
                      698 Posts
                      Posted: October 15, 2009, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

about the same for major jackpots, but a tiny bit more for the small jackpots if i had both

i always like to play 1 dollar bets, even at fresh pb jackpots, sense you got to play to win it,

i dont buy more then 1 ticket to atfer about 100m, then about 2,  then about 3 tickets  to 5 tickets per 250+ or 100m cash atfer taxes  taken out,

so at worst, i just be losing 4 bucks a week then my normal 2 bucks for pb, :D

no biggie , its a price of like a highend cup of coffe around here LOL

United States
                        Member #80995
                        October 8, 2009
                        1 Posts
                        Posted: October 15, 2009, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

I would definitely spend more because I wouldn't be spending it on gas driving to another state to play their game.  Smile

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: October 15, 2009, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Good point about the option to not play at all and switch to the state lottery, I didn't think of that.

But on the other hand I've always felt it's worth a buck to play the big jackpot games no matter what the odds are or how low the jackpot is.

That's because even though you're fairly certain not to win; if you don't have a buck in you're definitely certain not to win.

The only certainty is that somebody's buck is going to win millions at some point.

I play a buck each time and with an added game it'll be two which will cost me about $16 - $18 a month or roughly $200 a year to be included in the pool of people from which the multi-millionaires will be drawn.

When I see all the lunk heads that buy a ticket just on the spur of the moment in a liquor store somewhere and win millions I just can't help thinking that I could be the next lunk head multi-millionaire. (I've been known to spend a fair share of my time in liquor stores too, BTW, lol)

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #55889
                            October 23, 2007
                            5611 Posts
                            Posted: October 15, 2009, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

I'll play PB with the powerplay. I'll prob just play one line. Odds are just too high to spend too much money... same with MM.

United States
                              Member #24439
                              October 22, 2005
                              638 Posts
                              Posted: October 16, 2009, 10:08 am - IP Logged

It is so true that each game doubles it players. It would be unfortunate if the increase the number of balls. The new states sellers would want a share in the revenue like the own the game therefore they might not have any option but to increase the odds of winnig because winner might not be from a "PB or MM state".

To put it simply, It is gonna be excitingly disappointing.