Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Only 109,999 chances I won't win a million? - Here's my $20! - Gimme a raffle ticket!

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 7 years ago by recoveryroad.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
adelaide sa
Australia
Member #37136
April 11, 2006
3315 Posts
Posted: November 6, 2009, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

yeah only the gov can run a lottery so inefficiently

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

Milwaukee, WI
    United States
    Member #3131
    December 27, 2003
    665 Posts
    Posted: November 8, 2009, 4:14 am - IP Logged

Well using my "formula" and adjusting for the $20...

1,000,000/110,000 odds/20 price  comes out to .4545  which  comparatively is not bad.

Compared to Powerball this week @ 48,100,000/196,000,000 which comes out to .246

BUT this does not take into account that the raffle does NOT have any prizes below $500 which is very important.

Oh, yes, Virginia is a MM state, 48,000,000/175,000,000 or .273.....

Hey, if it doesn't kill you, play $20.  But it not really a super deal either..

MarkP

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: November 8, 2009, 5:58 am - IP Logged

Well using my "formula" and adjusting for the $20...

1,000,000/110,000 odds/20 price  comes out to .4545  which  comparatively is not bad.

Compared to Powerball this week @ 48,100,000/196,000,000 which comes out to .246

BUT this does not take into account that the raffle does NOT have any prizes below $500 which is very important.

Oh, yes, Virginia is a MM state, 48,000,000/175,000,000 or .273.....

Hey, if it doesn't kill you, play $20.  But it not really a super deal either..

MarkP

Yeah, it's no super deal but that's why we have to look at it in a comparative manner. There just isn't a better shot at a million in any other game. The way I look at it is I'm taking a shot at one of the three million dollar prizes and getting one of the lesser prizes would just be a welcome bonus if I don't hit the million.

Actually I would play it even if there were no lesser prizes because the odds would still be the same for the 3 millions and the lesser prizes wouldn't be life-altering anyway.

I got my ticket yesterday and one for someone out of state and I may get one more before they sell out.

My ticket was about 7,000 plus down from the top number of tickets  to be sold. I assume they're selling from the top number down, otherwise they've sold a heck of a lot of tickets in the first week.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

South Florida
        United States
        Member #82132
        November 6, 2009
        112 Posts
        Posted: November 13, 2009, 1:28 am - IP Logged

Down here they just launched a millionaire New Year's raffle for $1,000,000 as well... starting today, Friday the 13th, haha.

Only 1,000,000 tickets available...and the last time they ran one of these raffles it sold out in 11 days. Considering how bad the unemployment rate is, I wouldn't be surprised if this one sold out much sooner. It's the desperation...

9 winners for $1,000,000 ... 10 winners for $50,000 ... 15 for winners $15,000 ... and 2,000 winners for $250

I'll buy a ticket or two...why not?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: November 13, 2009, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

Down here they just launched a millionaire New Year's raffle for $1,000,000 as well... starting today, Friday the 13th, haha.

Only 1,000,000 tickets available...and the last time they ran one of these raffles it sold out in 11 days. Considering how bad the unemployment rate is, I wouldn't be surprised if this one sold out much sooner. It's the desperation...

9 winners for $1,000,000 ... 10 winners for $50,000 ... 15 for winners $15,000 ... and 2,000 winners for $250

I'll buy a ticket or two...why not?

Thanks for the heads up recoveryroad.

I'll be down there in the Ft Lauderdale area around Thanksgiving. Hope they last that long.

Not sure I understand the $50,000 prize allotment (didn't read the details) but I'll definitely buy a ticket for a shot at the million. Good luck!

Holiday MILLIONAIRE RAFFLE™ PRIZES

Over 2,000 Prizes From $250 to $50,000!

On Thursday, December 31, 2009, nine lucky players will each win $1 million, 10 players will each win $50,000, 15 players will each win $5,000, and 2,000 players will each win $250 – for a total of more than $10 million in cash prizes being awarded in this year’s Holiday MILLIONAIRE RAFFLE.

Prize AmtTotal PrizesTotal Prizes
          $1,000,00091:111,111
          $50,000*101:100,000
          $5,000151:66,667
          $2502,0001:500
          Prize Amt2,0341:492
          * $50,000 winners will be top-prize alternates, in the order drawn, if million-dollar prize(s) are not claimed within 180 days. Visit the Rules page below for additional information.

The overall odds of winning a prize in the Holiday MILLIONAIRE RAFFLE drawing are 1 in 492 if all one million tickets are sold! Tickets are expected to sell out, so buy yours today!

--Edmund Burke

United States
            Member #57732
            January 17, 2008
            41 Posts
            Posted: November 13, 2009, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

Not sure I understand the $50,000 prize allotment (didn't read the details) but I'll definitely buy a ticket for a shot at the million. Good luck!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To make it simply, the first 9 Numbers drawn are the Million Dollar Winners.

10 through 19 are $50,000 Winners.

If one or More Million Tickets go unclaimed for 180 days, the 10th number drawn will get the difference of $950,000 dollars.

The Florida Lottery will try to contact the 10th number winner for 2 weeks. If still unclaimed after 2 weeks, the 11th number winner will then be contacted for 2 weeks.

This continues through the 10th through 19th winner. If still unclaimed, no one gets the Million.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10388 Posts
              Posted: November 13, 2009, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

rdgrnr,

"Actually I would play it even if there were no lesser prizes becausethe odds would still be the same for the 3 millions and the lesserprizes wouldn't be life-altering anyway."

Please don't give the lottery commisions any ideas!

Scared 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: November 13, 2009, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

rdgrnr,

"Actually I would play it even if there were no lesser prizes becausethe odds would still be the same for the 3 millions and the lesserprizes wouldn't be life-altering anyway."

Please don't give the lottery commisions any ideas!

Scared 

Yeah, I better watch it afore they commence to institutin' some of my crazy idears. LOL

--Edmund Burke

South Florida
                  United States
                  Member #82132
                  November 6, 2009
                  112 Posts
                  Posted: November 14, 2009, 11:51 am - IP Logged

I just checked my state's lottery site, and as of 7 AM today, so far only 10,841 tickets out of the million available have been sold. I haven't seen them advertising the raffle on tv too frequently yet, and I guess more people will buy when they do their Sunday shopping, but it seems like this one's going to take a while sell. Most likely won't be sold out by Thanksgiving

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: November 14, 2009, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

I just checked my state's lottery site, and as of 7 AM today, so far only 10,841 tickets out of the million available have been sold. I haven't seen them advertising the raffle on tv too frequently yet, and I guess more people will buy when they do their Sunday shopping, but it seems like this one's going to take a while sell. Most likely won't be sold out by Thanksgiving

That sounds good to me recoveryroad. Hope they save one or two for this old hillbilly. I'm in the lottery computer wasteland of Tennessee.

My tongue is a wallerin' out like a dyin' calf in a hailstorm waitin' to win anything in this state. FLA's gonna shake it up for me, I can feel it in my bones. Yessir!

--Edmund Burke

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
                      Illinois
                      United States
                      Member #82001
                      November 3, 2009
                      890 Posts
                      Posted: November 14, 2009, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

Speaking of raffle, just curious if anyone ever play the private raffle like the ones held by church or children hospital. There are a couple in IL.

Milwaukee, WI
                        United States
                        Member #3131
                        December 27, 2003
                        665 Posts
                        Posted: November 17, 2009, 7:51 am - IP Logged

Over 195,999,999 in 196,000,000 chances that I won't win powerball here is my $1.....

MarkP

South Florida
                          United States
                          Member #82132
                          November 6, 2009
                          112 Posts
                          Posted: November 18, 2009, 11:28 am - IP Logged

As of today (11/18/09) at 7 AM, my state has only sold 42,762 in 5 days. They don't even seem to be selling 10k tickets a day. I'm impressed that they were able to sell out so quickly during the July raffle (all tickets sold in 11 days), because at the current rate, they won't even be able to sell all of these by the end of December.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: November 18, 2009, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

As of today (11/18/09) at 7 AM, my state has only sold 42,762 in 5 days. They don't even seem to be selling 10k tickets a day. I'm impressed that they were able to sell out so quickly during the July raffle (all tickets sold in 11 days), because at the current rate, they won't even be able to sell all of these by the end of December.

I'd be nice if they still end sales on the planned date and still award all the prizes. I don't reckon they'd do that though.

--Edmund Burke

South Florida
                              United States
                              Member #82132
                              November 6, 2009
                              112 Posts
                              Posted: November 19, 2009, 10:26 am - IP Logged

They've finally sold over 50,000 tickets as of today, but if raffle sales are this bad down here, I wonder how they're doing elsewhere in the country. You have a 1:492 chance of winning anything at all with ours, and a 1:29,412 chance of winning at least $5,000 or more.

When you look at it from a matter of fact perspective instead of focusing on the odds, you're hoping that your ticket will be one of the 2,034 winning tickets...out of the 1,000,000 tickets available. I can understand why people wouldn't exactly be running out to donate 20 bucks to this raffle. I already bought one ticket and was planning on buying 2 or 3 more later on...but was expecting sales to pick up more than this.

And if they don't sell all 1,000,000 tickets, the prizes will definitely be reduced.