Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 9:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you check your numbers before you let a store clerk check for you

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 7 years ago by pepper1.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
pepper1's avatar - batman38
hotatlanta
United States
Member #70664
February 8, 2009
1446 Posts
Posted: November 18, 2009, 11:31 am - IP Logged

When you hear that people got there tickets stolen I wonder why didn't they check the number themself.

I just wonder do they no that they can ask for a printout, call, are use the website, are watch TV?

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
    Member #47420
    November 4, 2006
    3930 Posts
    Posted: November 18, 2009, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

When your gambling trust no one but yourself..Know what you got coming when you go cash a ticket..It's so easy to do..

Jordans121's avatar - nw bookeep.jpg

United States
      Member #69169
      January 5, 2009
      2122 Posts
      Posted: November 18, 2009, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

i HAVE CHECKED MINE BEFORE AND ONE WAS WRONG. it THEN POCEEDED TO COME OUT STR8  once i didnt play it. Never again, if the store clerk meesses one up KEEP IT!

"Many Strategies|One Game"

Monkey Butt, USA
        United States
        Member #54569
        August 23, 2007
        1124 Posts
        Posted: November 18, 2009, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

When you hear that people got there tickets stolen I wonder why didn't they check the number themself.

I just wonder do they no that they can ask for a printout, call, are use the website, are watch TV?

Ever heard of the word LAZY?

When you hear about these types of stories the theft happens because the customer did not bother to sign the winning ticket and give a long list of worthless excuses on why they did not check the ticket themselves. There is never an excuse to not check your own ticket. Nor is there a reason not to sign your winning ticket.

But to answer your question, Yes I always check-check-and recheck any of my tickets before I go cash them in. And I make sure I write my name on the back in ink.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
          Magnolia, Delaware
          United States
          Member #18795
          July 20, 2005
          789 Posts
          Posted: November 18, 2009, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

If I have the thought to go to the store and purchase the ticket(s), I better have the smarts to check my ticket(s) two or three times over before going to the store and scanning them myself with the scanner on the counter! I never give my tickets to the clerk unless I absolutely have to and even then I have put the first 4 letters of the 4 names of the trusts name on the back of the ticket with a date! Never my name goes on the back of the ticket!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

hotatlanta
            United States
            Member #70664
            February 8, 2009
            1446 Posts
            Posted: November 19, 2009, 12:01 am - IP Logged

I never thought to do that if i didn't want to use my name. When i read these stories of how the store clerks stolen

my ticket.No Pity!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10389 Posts
              Posted: November 19, 2009, 12:05 am - IP Logged

When your gambling trust no one but yourself..Know what you got coming when you go cash a ticket..It's so easy to do..

Good point, tiggs95.

I realize not everyone has the internet, and for whatever reason a lot of people won't call in for results, and the newspaper comes out the next day, but still.

Around here a lot of the terminals where you scan your ticlets yourself don't work a good part of the time, and that's when a lot of people ask the clerk to check their tickets.

That makes me wonder why the terminal on the customer side of the counter isn't working when the one the clerks have is.

Maybe someone here at LP who has sold tickets can explain that one.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                41925 Posts
                Posted: November 19, 2009, 12:08 am - IP Logged

i have heard of clerks keeping losers around and scan that and the slip shows not a winner  always tell them what you have .Bash

HyperBe Happy.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #48725
                  January 7, 2007
                  1958 Posts
                  Posted: November 19, 2009, 12:38 am - IP Logged

It's right on my state's lottery website the numbers that were won and what the payouts were. I know how much I won. If a clerk tells me I won something different, I'm questioning it. I haven't had this happen to me yet though.

Gonna win.Big Smile

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                    Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #56506
                    November 21, 2007
                    6537 Posts
                    Posted: November 19, 2009, 12:39 am - IP Logged

I would never allow someone else to check my tickets. I trust myself, way more then I trust a stranger. Besides, isn't checking your tickets part of the fun when it comes to playing the lottery?

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

hotatlanta
                      United States
                      Member #70664
                      February 8, 2009
                      1446 Posts
                      Posted: November 19, 2009, 9:59 am - IP Logged

You can ask for a print out and check yourself.  In georgia most of all the store put out the printout on the counter. The problem is most people trust the store clerk, and most don't read that store clerk and owner can be thiefs. Some are old and they don't believe that the places they have played at, were they talk to the people everyday would scam them. sign your ticket trust no one 

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                        Member #47420
                        November 4, 2006
                        3930 Posts
                        Posted: November 19, 2009, 10:34 am - IP Logged

Never cash a ticket unless you know 100% what it is..Never..

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                          Member #567
                          August 14, 2002
                          485 Posts
                          Posted: November 19, 2009, 10:50 am - IP Logged

Just look online and see what the numbers are and then see how much your ticket is worth.  It's THAT simple!

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

hotatlanta
                            United States
                            Member #70664
                            February 8, 2009
                            1446 Posts
                            Posted: November 19, 2009, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

Just look online and see what the numbers are and then see how much your ticket is worth.  It's THAT simple!

Alot of older people don't have computer that why you ask for a printout are call the lottery. That guy that got his ticket stole was about 70, and he trust the people at the store because he played there everday. so what we see as simple it seem to be hard for some people.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: November 19, 2009, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

Let's face it. There are people who play the lottery that are old or not too intelligent or way too trusting. This should not be held against them. There should be standardized protocols put into place to assure the validity and trustworthiness of the entire system.

I would favor creation of a terminal that takes clerks and store owners completely out of the process.

You put your tickets into the machine yourself and are given a voucher for what you've won and then cash it in there at the store or take it to the Lottery Office. They could even have the machine take your picture as you receive the voucher to further insure the validity of the person cashing it in.

Problem solved.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke