Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you give to Charity after win?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 7 years ago by henfield.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do you give to charity or your place of worship when you win a significant amount of Money?

No [ 10 ]  [25.00%]
Yes, all the time [ 14 ]  [35.00%]
Sometimes [ 10 ]  [25.00%]
yes, it depends on the amount [ 6 ]  [15.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
A long and winding road
United States
Member #17084
June 10, 2005
4526 Posts
Posted: November 23, 2009, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

Taxijohn- For someone who was "just wondering", you sure changed tune when folks didnt answer the way you wanted. Refrain from the degradation, its so un-charity like.

To Nino, I like that you do your charitable deeds more directly. Maybe that is one way to know your efforts are being used wisely.

My Family does Habitat for Humanity! What fun that is to help a family who does put forth the effort too to get the house in order. Its a community effort and how much *money* can you place on the joy of a family in a safe home.....

Research Non Profit organizations and check with your State Attorneys office for validity of some of these organizations before donating. Even United Way is open to debate to give to...they cut some very important programs that affect your community....

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: November 24, 2009, 12:21 am - IP Logged

I haven't made enough to donate after a win except for a few bucks here and there, but not because of a win . I'm barley even as it is when I do win money. But if I did win a substantial amount, the first place I'd give some money is to the Salvation Army. I'm not religious and don't subscribe to organized religion because of the many philisophical inconsistencies. However, I'm somewhat spiritual and I do admire their effort in helping the unfortunate.

A few years back I was in a rut and needed an emergency tooth pulled. They made me wait two weeks for the antibiotics to work and gave me some tylenol for the pain. At the end of the 2 weeks a Salvation Army volunteer dentist pulled my tooth and a whole host of others for free.

Since then I have thrown a 20 dollar bill here and there in the bowl every Christmas season at shopping center entrances near you....lol

DC81's avatar - batman39
      MI
      United States
      Member #54830
      August 31, 2007
      985 Posts
      Posted: November 24, 2009, 1:22 am - IP Logged

I give a little now and then but as for a win, as in coming into a significant amount, it'll depend on that amount, six figures and up I'd certainly be looking to reduce my tax burden as much as possible.

You can't predict random.

JAP69's avatar - alas
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #6
        November 4, 2001
        8790 Posts
        Posted: November 24, 2009, 8:32 am - IP Logged

There was a story in the news last week about the head of United Way and how she had a salary of more than $300,000 and a retirement package of close to a million. That led to an investigation that discovered that most charities use most of the donations for salaries and administrative costs and less than 15% for the actual cause. 

So no, I don't give to organized charities. I like to find someone in need and help them directly.

So no, I don't give to organized charities. I like to find someone in need and help them directly

I Agree!

MAGA

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7311 Posts
          Posted: November 25, 2009, 8:37 am - IP Logged

Hmm, interesting, the question was. "Do you give to charity or your place of worship when you win a significant amount of Money?"

I don't understand how some of you can't understand the question. I would assume that most people give to charity, My wife and I do on a regular basis, like today leaving the grocery store I threw some change in the salvation army's bucket and they guy said, Thank you! I've also done volunteer work.

We also donate clothing, toys etc. and cash yearly.

The question did not read "do you give to charity", I was just wondering if people give "more" when they have a windfall, that's all.

Morons.

Happy Thanksgiving.

There are many threads on "how would you spend your winnings" and had you done a simple search, there is no need to "wonder" because you would clearly see that many LP members mentioned donating to charities. There are also many news items about places of worship refusing donations from lottery winnings so any answer to "do you give" is appropriate.

From my point of view, the only logical reason to "wonder" would be a charitable organization hoping to solicit donations. Especially when the follow-up questions do they give "more" after a windfall because that question can only be directed at someone who had a windfall.

Do you usually wait until after people donate to your charity before you call them "morons"?

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3474 Posts
            Posted: November 26, 2009, 3:12 am - IP Logged

Hmm, interesting, the question was. "Do you give to charity or your place of worship when you win a significant amount of Money?"

I don't understand how some of you can't understand the question. I would assume that most people give to charity, My wife and I do on a regular basis, like today leaving the grocery store I threw some change in the salvation army's bucket and they guy said, Thank you! I've also done volunteer work.

The question did not read "do you give to charity", I was just wondering if people give "more" when they have a windfall, that's all.

Morons.

Happy Thanksgiving.

The posters responding seem to have understood the question, and gave perfectly reasonable and easy to understand answers. Those answers clearly took into account giving after winning as well as giving despite not winning. The real moron here is the one who clearly doesn't understand those answers.

"The question did not read "doyou give to charity", I was just wondering if people give "more" whenthey have a windfall, that's all."

In case you didn't understand your own question, you asked if people gave "when" they win. If you wanted to know if they give more, maybe that would have been a better question to ask.

"Happy Thanksgiving."

You, too. Don't forget to stuff that turkey...

NASHVILLE, TENN
              United States
              Member #33372
              February 20, 2006
              1044 Posts
              Posted: November 27, 2009, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

There was a story in the news last week about the head of United Way and how she had a salary of more than $300,000 and a retirement package of close to a million. That led to an investigation that discovered that most charities use most of the donations for salaries and administrative costs and less than 15% for the actual cause. 

So no, I don't give to organized charities. I like to find someone in need and help them directly.

Tennessee State government has a web site detailing the various charities and how much of your donation goes to that charity.  I was dismayed to discover the charity I was supporting recieved only 20% of my money.  So I ceased giving to that and other charities.  I'll wager one QP that your state also has such a website.  Check it out and discover just how much of your $1 actually goes to the charity.  United Way is one.

Milwaukee, WI
                United States
                Member #3131
                December 27, 2003
                665 Posts
                Posted: November 28, 2009, 5:46 am - IP Logged

Reality TV  (CH 250 on  DTV)  has the program Secret Millionaire on today, the whole  series.

Kind of interesting...

MarkP

Milwaukee, WI
                  United States
                  Member #3131
                  December 27, 2003
                  665 Posts
                  Posted: December 8, 2009, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

OK, WHEN I win Mega Millions tonight, I will set up a foundation  with 90% of the winnings....

If I can't live on  $3,740,000 cash for the rest of my life, I will shoot myself!

MarkP

timmer's avatar - animaniacs03

United States
                    Member #714
                    September 18, 2002
                    88 Posts
                    Posted: December 8, 2009, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

I give to my favorite bank!!! 

The ole' H.I.P. national bank

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: December 8, 2009, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

Morons.

Happy Thanksgiving.

KY Floyd was right. I went back and looked at your original question after you called us all "morons".

This was your question: "Do you give to charity or your place of worship when you win a significant amount of Money?"

Everyone responded appropriately to the question as you asked it including one who said it was none of your business.

You might want to check to see if you're getting exhaust fumes in your cab or maybe your turban is on a little too tight.

Merry Christmas.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

henfield's avatar - nw femalewiz.jpg
                        Nassau
                        Bahamas
                        Member #44778
                        August 8, 2006
                        1323 Posts
                        Posted: December 8, 2009, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

I give but only if i winn str,bx don't be anything much.