Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Computer Help Question any help will be Appreciated!!

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 7 years ago by LadyMylena.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
mississippi
United States
Member #34478
March 3, 2006
5903 Posts
Posted: December 5, 2009, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

I have a question...I have an HP Pavillion but it was given to me several years ago by my soninlaw..I have no idea what happened to any of the software that came with it..that would include the HP START up Disc IF it even came with one..

QUESTION: Can you buy a HP Pavillion Start up disc at Walmart or Best Buy or some Computer store?

This is what Happened..My little girl accidently activated or turned on my automatic updats which caused my computer to run very slow..so I hit my power surge button and turned off all the power to my computer to stop the updates..when I turned my computer back on..I got a BLACK SCREEN with this message..

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

Anyone know what this is...and can I re-program my HP start up file with a start up disc?

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

mississippi
    United States
    Member #34478
    March 3, 2006
    5903 Posts
    Posted: December 5, 2009, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

oh yeah..I am using a friends computer which is a dell..I dont really like it..hahaha..but right now its better than mine..haha

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

Myrtle Beach, SC
      United States
      Member #18457
      July 12, 2005
      3433 Posts
      Posted: December 5, 2009, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

I have a question...I have an HP Pavillion but it was given to me several years ago by my soninlaw..I have no idea what happened to any of the software that came with it..that would include the HP START up Disc IF it even came with one..

QUESTION: Can you buy a HP Pavillion Start up disc at Walmart or Best Buy or some Computer store?

This is what Happened..My little girl accidently activated or turned on my automatic updats which caused my computer to run very slow..so I hit my power surge button and turned off all the power to my computer to stop the updates..when I turned my computer back on..I got a BLACK SCREEN with this message..

Anyone know what this is...and can I re-program my HP start up file with a start up disc?

Follow this link concerning your issue.

pcnut

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, skill is knowing how to do it, and virtue is doing it."

David Starr Jordan

S.C.'s weekly-indicative random pairs: 05, 12, 13, 16, 18, 23, 34

Enjoy

pcnut

mississippi
        United States
        Member #34478
        March 3, 2006
        5903 Posts
        Posted: December 5, 2009, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Pcnut..will read that and see if we can find a solution..still wish I had a start up disc though..

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19826 Posts
          Posted: December 5, 2009, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

I have a HP Pavilion and it didn't come with start-up disk.  The hard drive was divided into 2 sections C:\ that's used as normal and D:\ which stored a copy of the operating system.  When new, the owner had a chance to make one copy of the systems on 3 compact disks or one DVD.   Chances are your son-in-law did that and still have it.  If he didn't erase the D: drive then it still on your computer and can be reinstall but you'll lose all your files and up dates since the computer was purchased since it will reformat your hard drive and put it back to when it was new.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
            Tx
            United States
            Member #4570
            May 4, 2004
            5180 Posts
            Posted: December 7, 2009, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

You are not going to be able to fix your computer yourself, probably, as you don't know how to.

Whatever people tell you here or at any other forum, might not help you, as you would not know how to use any such info.

Maybe you should try to find somebody right there where you are at, a local person, somebody who knows enough about computers and who has the computer tools-softwares to help you with.

This can't be done by long distance, the person doing the repairs has to be there to do the fixing himself.

Maybe at worst, he will reformat and reinstall Windows, but even so, a Pc needs both: Hardware and software drivers, re-installing Windows might not be enough of itself, drivers might have to be downloaded from somewhere and then installed, as for other softwares, there are plenty of freewares that you or somebody else can download and install.

But a new copy of Windows can be expensive and then it needs to be activated, still the biggest problem could be finding software and hardware drivers.

But a person could first try to re-install Windows over Windows if such a thing can still be done.

If you can't find free help there you might have to pay a computer tech for it.

-----------

I have my computer set-up in such a way, that it is very likely that only hardware malfunction could shut it down.

---------------

If my hard drive would break it would be no problem, but if the processor or motherboard breaks that would be a big problem.

I have made copies of the partition.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

United States
              Member #75358
              June 1, 2009
              5345 Posts
              Posted: December 8, 2009, 12:22 am - IP Logged

This may or may not work.

Restart the computer, and when it starts to come on, immediately start pressing F8 repeatedly until you have a menu and choose the "safe mode"  which is the diagnostic mode.

If you are lucky enough to get to this stage, then try to reset your computer to a prior date. A "Restore Point". You can restore your computer to an earlier date when it was operating properly.

If this theory is correct, the original format should include the missing line of code.

jimjwright's avatar - Yellow 3.png
                Park City, UT
                United States
                Member #69864
                January 18, 2009
                993 Posts
                Posted: December 8, 2009, 1:22 am - IP Logged

ntoskrnl.exe is the NT Operating System kernel.  By far the most important file on your computer.  The best advice is Joker's and try to start up in safe mode, but I doubt if you can even do that if ntoskrnl.exe is missing.  The two worst files to corrupt would be hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe.

Jimmy

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: December 8, 2009, 3:45 am - IP Logged

If you only tried once, try again and you may get lucky. It would hardly be the first time a computer didn't load the OS properly. Assuming the file really is corrupt, you can always remove the drive and use another computer to put a good copy of the file on the drive. The question is how fussy Windows might be about that file. It's possible that you'll need a version that matches some of the various updates since the original installation of the OS, though I would hope that's not the case.  It may not be necessary, but you'll certainly want to use a copy that matches your OS as closely as possible. Perhaps your drive already has a copy on a logical D: drive as RJ suggests.

Another option would be to take this as a sign that it's time to upgrade. Computers are pretty cheap, and what you can get today will be much better than a machine that's several years old. You can recover all of your data from the old machine's drive by installing it or getting a USB enclosure. A USB enclosure would let you use another drive for backup or additional storage.

"When new, the owner had a chance to make one copy of the systems on 3compact disks or one DVD.   Chances are your son-in-law did that andstill have it."

That's a good one. Have you ever thought about trying stand up?

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                    Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #49980
                    February 21, 2007
                    34138 Posts
                    Posted: December 8, 2009, 8:29 am - IP Logged

I am having a problem, well not yet, but I will have problems because my Antivirus protection  Norton has expired as of today. don't know much about Computer. I did try to download the AVG. for free? but don't really understand it. I got a black screen once, but my Computer had a lot of viruses, I called the Hp Compac people for Technical support, and they had to wipe everything off my computer and I had to start all over like  I had a new Computer. Maybe I will call Tech supposrt if I can't get any help here.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

Tx
                      United States
                      Member #4570
                      May 4, 2004
                      5180 Posts
                      Posted: December 8, 2009, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

I am having a problem, well not yet, but I will have problems because my Antivirus protection  Norton has expired as of today. don't know much about Computer. I did try to download the AVG. for free? but don't really understand it. I got a black screen once, but my Computer had a lot of viruses, I called the Hp Compac people for Technical support, and they had to wipe everything off my computer and I had to start all over like  I had a new Computer. Maybe I will call Tech supposrt if I can't get any help here.

A person needs to deal with these things ON SITE.

The person having the problems can not do any thing as he or she does not know much of any-thing about computers.

The best thing such people can do is to get local help and then have somebody teach them how to deal with such problems by themselves.

computerhead723's avatar - lightbulb
                        Buffalo
                        United States
                        Member #54397
                        August 17, 2007
                        245 Posts
                        Posted: December 8, 2009, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

what happens  when  you  turn  the  device  on  for   the  first  time ???

try  a  complete  shut-down  then  hit  the   tab  key  and  read  any  messages .......then  tab  multiple  times  your  F8 -function  key  to  see  a  menue  of  choices  including  safe -mode .........I  would  run  a  check-file  or  repair  option  if  your  OPERATING  SYSTEM  WILL  ALLOW  IT @

sounds  to  me  your  registry  is  corrupted .....another  function  if  you  got  windows  2000  is  to  go  to  properites  and  click   -  on  advanced  see  what  your  start-up  and  other  files  are  listing !!!Blue Thinking

Tx
                          United States
                          Member #4570
                          May 4, 2004
                          5180 Posts
                          Posted: December 8, 2009, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

From Google:

Maybe it can be tried on safe boot or maybe not, if your pc does not safeboot.

--------------------

Try Start-Run-type SFC /SCANNOW. It should replace/repair any missing or corrupted file
                          . You will need the XP CD. Space between C and /.
                          ------------------------------

Tx
                            United States
                            Member #4570
                            May 4, 2004
                            5180 Posts
                            Posted: December 8, 2009, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

From Google:

Missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe file

If the ntoskrnl.exe file is corrupt or missing this can also generate the error. To restore this file follow the below steps.

1. Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD.Note: If you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a MicrosoftWindows XP CD it is likely the below steps will not resolve your issue.
                            2. Rebootthe computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message topress any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.
                            3. In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.
                            4. Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password.
                            5. Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32
                            6. You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file.
                            7. Type exit to reboot the computer.

LottoChica23's avatar - Aquarius
                              Fughedaboutit (NY)
                              United States
                              Member #8160
                              October 26, 2004
                              6777 Posts
                              Posted: December 8, 2009, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

This is where it pays to know MSDOS.  When I have had to fix windows startup problems because of missing files I have resorted to using DOS to do it.

This may help, try searching YouTube for: 

How To Fix: Missing or Corrupt ntoskrnl.exe File

Matrix Chart Instructions--> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/191818 

check out mysticwomyn Announcers --> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/140695/673306

You can judge the integrity of a man by the way he treats those that can do nothing for him...Thumbs Up