Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: Lotterey players, the wealthy

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 7 years ago by myturn.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Why do the rich play the lottery?

To them money is a way of keeping score [ 10 ]  [15.87%]
They're bored [ 2 ]  [3.17%]
Just for fun, entertainment [ 21 ]  [33.33%]
You can't take it with you [ 1 ]  [1.59%]
It's just another diversion [ 3 ]  [4.76%]
Why not! [ 18 ]  [28.57%]
Other [ 8 ]  [12.70%]
Total Valid Votes [ 63 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10347 Posts
Posted: December 5, 2009, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

We know why most of us here play the lotto, let's just say hoping for better.

But what about the wealthy that play it? Why do you think they play?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Litebets27's avatar - power
    Maryland
    United States
    Member #10465
    January 14, 2005
    6065 Posts
    Posted: December 5, 2009, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

I think the wealthy who gamble are just as addicted as the rest of us are.

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: December 5, 2009, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

I said just for fun and entertainment based on an older sibling of mine who is very wealthy who still plays occasionally.

They are also very generous in nature and I'm sure they would just enjoy helping people out even more than they do now if they won . This sibling believes in the philosophy of giving away whatever it is you want in order to establish and keep a reciprocal cycle going and I must say it has always worked for them.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Harve$t Moon's avatar - 5str

United States
        Member #76986
        July 10, 2009
        8034 Posts
        Posted: December 6, 2009, 12:09 am - IP Logged

We know why most of us here play the lotto, let's just say hoping for better.

But what about the wealthy that play it? Why do you think they play?

* Perhaps to hedge their personal money insecurities or insure against the Bernie Madoffs of the world.

* Maybe they've got the contagious "it is never enough" disease, and playing the lottery gives them temporary relief.

How do you spell relief?  M O N E Y

* Could it be that they have hidden their money so well, that they can't find it?  The solution is to play the lottery

in hopes of replacing the missing funds.

* How about funding charities and foundations from lottery wins, instead using their inheritance or other personal funds?

* Greed!

* Maybe they like to play with numbers!

It's obvious to me that I can only speculate, because I have no clue!   Cool

BTW .... did I mention GREED?

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: December 6, 2009, 12:10 am - IP Logged

My guess is, that they play for the reason that many us play...for the chance to win millions! Smile

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
            Dump Water Florida
            United States
            Member #380
            June 5, 2002
            3102 Posts
            Posted: December 6, 2009, 12:52 am - IP Logged

Because money won is twice as sweet.  BobP

United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10347 Posts
              Posted: December 6, 2009, 2:13 am - IP Logged

My guess is, that they play for the reason that many us play...for the chance to win millions! Smile

ThatScaryChick,

That's part of the reason for the poll. Let's say they already have millions. So is there a message here that there's never enough?

BobP,

"Because money won is twice as sweet.  BobP"

Not so sure that holds true with "old money". They've been known to look down their noses at the nouveau riche, even if they became rich by being entreupeneurs. There's no telling how they'd regard people who came into a windfall like a jackpot.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #56506
                November 21, 2007
                6537 Posts
                Posted: December 6, 2009, 2:20 am - IP Logged

ThatScaryChick,

That's part of the reason for the poll. Let's say they already have millions. So is there a message here that there's never enough?

BobP,

"Because money won is twice as sweet.  BobP"

Not so sure that holds true with "old money". They've been known to look down their noses at the nouveau riche, even if they became rich by being entreupeneurs. There's no telling how they'd regard people who came into a windfall like a jackpot.

Oh I know, I was just joking. I meant that they are probably playing, for the chance to have even more millions. lol.

But I guess I can see someone who is already wealthy playing, because it is a hobbie to them or it's a chance to beat a game that has huge odds.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
                  Member #75358
                  June 1, 2009
                  5345 Posts
                  Posted: December 6, 2009, 2:40 am - IP Logged

It makes me sick. Sorry, but that kind of greed just plain irks me.

Let others who don't have plenty of money try to win.

United States
                    Member #54390
                    August 17, 2007
                    313 Posts
                    Posted: December 6, 2009, 3:30 am - IP Logged

It makes me sick. Sorry, but that kind of greed just plain irks me.

Let others who don't have plenty of money try to win.

Poor people shouldn't be playing the lottery in the first place.

Rich people and poor people love money.  That's many people like to gamble.  Getting mad at the rich people because they play the lottery is just plain ignorant.  THE LOTTERY IS FOR EVERYBODY!!

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
                      Midlands, SC
                      United States
                      Member #69698
                      January 14, 2009
                      303 Posts
                      Posted: December 6, 2009, 3:53 am - IP Logged

PURE GREED!

I think that should have been one of the options to choose from.  The people I know play the lottery in hopes of one day becoming debt-free and to be able to have fun and help the ones they love.  If you're already doing that because you're worth millions....then why play? 

Besides, the truly wealthy would never be caught "wasting" their hard earned money on the lottery.  From the books I've read and interviews I've seen they look at it as a pure waste and would rather invest it in something worthwhile.  The people profiled were tightwads, drove old cars, wore old clothes and most friends & family didn't even know they were eating dinner with millionaires. 

Book examples? The Millionaire Next Door; Rich Dad, Poor Dad, etc.; Look up Dave Ramsey....he's great and would be upset to know that I even play the lottery and was a member of this website....lol.....!!!!

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                        Member #52345
                        May 21, 2007
                        2657 Posts
                        Posted: December 6, 2009, 7:27 am - IP Logged

* Perhaps to hedge their personal money insecurities or insure against the Bernie Madoffs of the world.

* Maybe they've got the contagious "it is never enough" disease, and playing the lottery gives them temporary relief.

How do you spell relief?  M O N E Y

* Could it be that they have hidden their money so well, that they can't find it?  The solution is to play the lottery

in hopes of replacing the missing funds.

* How about funding charities and foundations from lottery wins, instead using their inheritance or other personal funds?

* Greed!

* Maybe they like to play with numbers!

It's obvious to me that I can only speculate, because I have no clue!   Cool

BTW .... did I mention GREED?

Yes Nod  I'd believe it...

United States
                          Member #10720
                          January 23, 2005
                          933 Posts
                          Posted: December 6, 2009, 8:50 am - IP Logged

Going to the ELE7VEN and then looking forward to the Midday or Evening drawing is a daily enjoyment that I would miss. I'd play a few numbers multi-draw and only when I would be going to the Store to buy something else anyway i.e. gasoline or biscuits stuffed with bacon and cheese. There would be no "Powerball runs" because by then nj will have Powerball anyway. Even now I play the scratch-offs when new ones come out more for fun than expecting to win big. They even double as Season's Greetings Tree ornaments!

I think sometimes they (who already won) keep playing just to make others jealous.

BUT - unless the rich dude has a very good algorithm, they're mostly putting money back into the jackpot(s) that someone poorer will win, so don't discourage them!

United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10347 Posts
                            Posted: December 6, 2009, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

Sorry, I shopuld have added two more options to the poll:

Greed!

Because they can!

Lep

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: December 6, 2009, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

I disagree with the greed factor. I know I would continue to play even if I won the big one and became fabulously wealthy. I just enjoy playing because I think it's fun even when I don't win. I don't understand the disdain for rich people because isn't that what most of us aspire to? Would we then become part of the evil, greedy rich? Success and prosperity are good things and the foundation on which capitalism is based. It's the American Way.

I don't think there are any more greedy rich people than there are greedy poor people.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke