Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 12:28 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: Lotterey players, the wealthy

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 7 years ago by myturn.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Why do the rich play the lottery?

To them money is a way of keeping score [ 10 ]  [15.87%]
They're bored [ 2 ]  [3.17%]
Just for fun, entertainment [ 21 ]  [33.33%]
You can't take it with you [ 1 ]  [1.59%]
It's just another diversion [ 3 ]  [4.76%]
Why not! [ 18 ]  [28.57%]
Other [ 8 ]  [12.70%]
Total Valid Votes [ 63 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
Pittsburg, Ks
United States
Member #3382
January 17, 2004
83188 Posts
Posted: December 6, 2009, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

I disagree with the greed factor. I know I would continue to play even if I won the big one and became fabulously wealthy. I just enjoy playing because I think it's fun even when I don't win. I don't understand the disdain for rich people because isn't that what most of us aspire to? Would we then become part of the evil, greedy rich? Success and prosperity are good things and the foundation on which capitalism is based. It's the American Way.

I don't think there are any more greedy rich people than there are greedy poor people.

I agree  with you rdgrmr. Wealthy person buys lottery ticket; wins jackpot. They aewe probably off to Disneyland---in another country

God Bless America

US Flag

jump1900's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg
    North Carolina
    United States
    Member #48155
    December 12, 2006
    3275 Posts
    Posted: December 6, 2009, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

they play to get the rushShifty

JAP69's avatar - alas
      South Carolina
      United States
      Member #6
      November 4, 2001
      8797 Posts
      Posted: December 6, 2009, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

Braggin rights at the koktail party with lobster and caviar.

Oo'Ka

JAP69's avatar - alas
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #6
        November 4, 2001
        8797 Posts
        Posted: December 6, 2009, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

I think a lot of them who appear wealthy play for the money. Get to know people who appear wealthy and many of them will have no more cash value than any one who appears less wealthy. I have known a fair share of people who appear wealthy but would not have a pot to mictuate in if they cashed eveything out and satisfied creditors.

Oo'Ka

United States
          Member #75358
          June 1, 2009
          5345 Posts
          Posted: December 6, 2009, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

Poor people shouldn't be playing the lottery in the first place.

Rich people and poor people love money.  That's many people like to gamble.  Getting mad at the rich people because they play the lottery is just plain ignorant.  THE LOTTERY IS FOR EVERYBODY!!

Who said poor?

The working class stiffs who have to drag their ass to work in a place they hate.

It's not ignorant for me to not like the rich to get richer. I think your the ignorant one. The lottery is for people who DON'T have a lot of money, not for people who have a lot and are just too greedy.

BTW, stop putting words in my mouth.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
            Dump Water Florida
            United States
            Member #380
            June 5, 2002
            3113 Posts
            Posted: December 7, 2009, 1:51 am - IP Logged

ThatScaryChick,

That's part of the reason for the poll. Let's say they already have millions. So is there a message here that there's never enough?

BobP,

"Because money won is twice as sweet.  BobP"

Not so sure that holds true with "old money". They've been known to look down their noses at the nouveau riche, even if they became rich by being entreupeneurs. There's no telling how they'd regard people who came into a windfall like a jackpot.

Never thought to contrast old money with nouveau riche. 

Old money would have worked out how not to pay taxes and winning a million would just complicate things.

I think people who have worked hard for their first million would love to win a second million as much as the rest of us. 

People with trust funds would like to win some liquid assets (mad money).

Even if I won two hundred million I'd keep playing to keep up the pot for everyone else. 

BobP

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
              Chicago
              United States
              Member #70678
              February 8, 2009
              889 Posts
              Posted: December 7, 2009, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

Good question! IF and thats a big IF I was wealthy I would play the lottery just for the challenge of trying to pick the right numbers and to keep my mind active. Then again if I never had to worry about having enough money.....it would be more fun to play the stock market.

I deliver the mail to some very wealthy people...this is no joke. Too bad I don't know any of them well enough to ask if they play the lottery and /or why. LOL would I dare ask?

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                West Side of Sunny Florida
                United States
                Member #55048
                September 8, 2007
                3371 Posts
                Posted: December 8, 2009, 5:25 am - IP Logged

Because money won is twice as sweet.  BobP

hummm.. where have I heard that one???

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
                  Midlands, SC
                  United States
                  Member #69698
                  January 14, 2009
                  303 Posts
                  Posted: December 8, 2009, 6:40 am - IP Logged

Who said poor?

The working class stiffs who have to drag their ass to work in a place they hate.

It's not ignorant for me to not like the rich to get richer. I think your the ignorant one. The lottery is for people who DON'T have a lot of money, not for people who have a lot and are just too greedy.

BTW, stop putting words in my mouth.

I agree Joker17...I'm one of those working class stiffs on my way to a job I hate right now!  Believe me, IF I had millions, I wouldn't even think of playing the lottery.  I play because I HATE my job and I would love to get rid of all of this debt that I have and my family has.  Once that's done, I'd spend my time learning about investments and having a blast!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10392 Posts
                    Posted: December 8, 2009, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

Interesting stat here folks about people hating their jobs - I remember reading this in a health newsletter- the most common time for heart attacks to occur in america is a Monday morning during the usual commute to work time. The wrtier of the article stated that some people hate the thought of going back to a job they hate so bad that their body actually says, "Well, OK", and shuts down on them.

Personally, I think two of the greatest gifts we can have in this life are a job you really enoy going to and dying in your sleep.

"Get people to pay you to do something you enjoy and you'll never work again"

-Buddha

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                      Member #26330
                      November 16, 2005
                      330 Posts
                      Posted: December 8, 2009, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

Because rich or poor people gamble just sometimes in different ways.  Poor folks may play the lotto and rich folks gamble on the stock market......Although these days the lotto ticket may be the better option!  LOL

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19901 Posts
                        Posted: December 10, 2009, 12:04 am - IP Logged

Interesting stat here folks about people hating their jobs - I remember reading this in a health newsletter- the most common time for heart attacks to occur in america is a Monday morning during the usual commute to work time. The wrtier of the article stated that some people hate the thought of going back to a job they hate so bad that their body actually says, "Well, OK", and shuts down on them.

Personally, I think two of the greatest gifts we can have in this life are a job you really enoy going to and dying in your sleep.

"Get people to pay you to do something you enjoy and you'll never work again"

-Buddha

I'm half way there, I'm retired and I enjoy playing lotteries.  Now all I have to do is figure out how to make money doing it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                          Magnolia, Delaware
                          United States
                          Member #18795
                          July 20, 2005
                          789 Posts
                          Posted: December 10, 2009, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

Never thought to contrast old money with nouveau riche. 

Old money would have worked out how not to pay taxes and winning a million would just complicate things.

I think people who have worked hard for their first million would love to win a second million as much as the rest of us. 

People with trust funds would like to win some liquid assets (mad money).

Even if I won two hundred million I'd keep playing to keep up the pot for everyone else. 

BobP

I Agree! I couldn't have said it any better BobP! Party three cheers for BobP.... lol

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

konane's avatar - wallace
                            Atlanta, GA
                            United States
                            Member #1265
                            March 13, 2003
                            3351 Posts
                            Posted: December 10, 2009, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

Because money won is twice as sweet.  BobP

I Agree!  Great point ... they may consider won money 'free money' they didn't have to work hard for.

Also believe rich people play for the challenge ... they're accustomed to winning when it comes to money and they want to see how well they can outsmart lottery odds.  It's all a game they maintain a sense of fun playing.

Any person poor or rich with a dollar and a dream can win jackpots as many times as they can come up with the matching numbers.

Good luck to everyone!

Bondi Junction
                              Australia
                              Member #57242
                              December 24, 2007
                              1102 Posts
                              Posted: December 25, 2009, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

Investing in the stock markey is a gamble! If Madoff "investors" had bought lottery tickets they would be better of today - they would have at least got something back, and some might have won serious money.

They could also feel good that the revenue raised was benefiting the state - not supporting a lavish lifestyle.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!