Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A Lottery Delema--Winfall or just fall?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 7 years ago by jwhou.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
CA
United States
Member #57222
December 23, 2007
587 Posts
Posted: December 15, 2009, 10:03 am - IP Logged

A recent post  got me to do some serious thinking about choice and the lottery,  my quest to win and what winning the lottery may mean in my life. I also thought about this when I saw previews of the movie "The box".  Please be serious in your responses.  I truly want to know how people think.

If you were guaranteed to win the the lottery for let's say  20 million (tax free) dollars but you knew someone would die because of it,  would you accept it?  And i will make it easy;  It won't be yourself,  but could be  ANYONE else.  (this includes you kids or spouse). 

In all honesty  I  wouldn't because my husband would be included but if he were NOT included then I would without hesitation.  (Yes  i still have family out there-no kids)  I think about the fact that I consider myself to be a growing christian  and shouldnt think this way but my fear of being (staying) broke forever is strong as well.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10344 Posts
    Posted: December 15, 2009, 10:42 am - IP Logged

The concpt of The Box came from a book called The Book of Questions.

If you see it in a bookstore, at least look through it. It gives various scenarios and asks what you would do, and every so often some of the questions have a further explanation in the back of the book.

For the situation you asked, my answer is no, the reason being karma.

Let's say a person does go for it......they get their guaranteed 20 million. A short time later they find out they have some illness, and the person who died to comclude the deal was a researcher that was closde to a cure for that very illness.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5588 Posts
      Posted: December 15, 2009, 11:14 am - IP Logged

No. Because throughout my life things have always had a way of working out. Now, I'm not rich, but my wife and I make ok money, we have a nice house in a nice neighborhood (house needs some remodeling), and while we are in considerable debt, I have faith that God will always meet our needs. Yeah, I do hope part of that is hitting a jackpot, but even if not, I play the lottery for fun (and a jackpot), and things will work out ok.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: December 15, 2009, 11:25 am - IP Logged

A recent post  got me to do some serious thinking about choice and the lottery,  my quest to win and what winning the lottery may mean in my life. I also thought about this when I saw previews of the movie "The box".  Please be serious in your responses.  I truly want to know how people think.

If you were guaranteed to win the the lottery for let's say  20 million (tax free) dollars but you knew someone would die because of it,  would you accept it?  And i will make it easy;  It won't be yourself,  but could be  ANYONE else.  (this includes you kids or spouse). 

In all honesty  I  wouldn't because my husband would be included but if he were NOT included then I would without hesitation.  (Yes  i still have family out there-no kids)  I think about the fact that I consider myself to be a growing christian  and shouldnt think this way but my fear of being (staying) broke forever is strong as well.

lottocalgal,

I was thinking what a nice person you were after reading your response to ambelamba's post this morning and then I read this and it makes me wonder.

Would you really risk someone in your family dying for money? I can't believe anyone in the world would do that.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

mjwinsmith's avatar - moon

United States
          Member #391
          June 8, 2002
          16057 Posts
          Posted: December 15, 2009, 11:31 am - IP Logged

This is real easy, my answer would be NO! Why, because do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Sound familar, yeah so how could any so called Christian answer this any other way.

God sent his only begotten son so that we would have a life filled with abundance, not a life of despair.

Trust in the lord and the rest will follow, happiness is not only measured by the dollar bill, a lot a people are chasing the wrong dream and should wake up.

Just my two cents worth.

jimjwright's avatar - Yellow 3.png
            Park City, UT
            United States
            Member #69864
            January 18, 2009
            993 Posts
            Posted: December 15, 2009, 11:50 am - IP Logged

No I wouldn't take the money.  It would be nice to win the lottery, I like the challenge in trying to predict lottery using software I write, but no way would I place my desires over the life of someone else.  I always believe to have any successful relationship you have put other peoples wants and desires first before your own.  If your lucky enough to meet someone with same convictions then you will have all the wealth you will ever need in this lifetime.

Jimmy

Jani Norman's avatar - fiftyways
              OHIO
              United States
              Member #4164
              March 27, 2004
              14586 Posts
              Posted: December 15, 2009, 11:55 am - IP Logged

MJ*** my pastor tells us in church just about every Sunday morning, that he has never seen a funeral where there is a money truck following behind any hearse on the way to the cemetary...No Nod** and that's because you cannot die and take it with you it is only temporary joy/example Jack Whitaker**What? Just do some soul searching about what you think and say about wanting money so badly...

"I am what I am by the grace of God."

Kitfany

http://www.ohiolottery.com/

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #56506
                November 21, 2007
                6537 Posts
                Posted: December 15, 2009, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

The answer is simple for me. No, I would not take the money at the cost of someone else losing their life.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

LottoPools's avatar - bee
                  Houston, TX
                  United States
                  Member #4496
                  April 29, 2004
                  71 Posts
                  Posted: December 15, 2009, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

Lottocalgal, I too am surprised by your answer.

I would not take the money.  No amount of money is worth the death of a family member or a stanger.

Playing together to make a splash in the pool of lottery winners.  It's just a matter of time.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    CA
                    United States
                    Member #57222
                    December 23, 2007
                    587 Posts
                    Posted: December 15, 2009, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

lottocalgal,

I was thinking what a nice person you were after reading your response to ambelamba's post this morning and then I read this and it makes me wonder.

Would you really risk someone in your family dying for money? I can't believe anyone in the world would do that.

What I wrote to Ambelambas post was from the heart.  it has nothing to do with being nice.  It's simply the truth at least for now.  I know what this person is going through because I lived it.  I am still growing in my faith  but like i said--especially after what I went through the last couple of years  the fear of growing old without financial security is a strong fear as well.  But Ambelambas post  and discussing that movie with my friends did get me to thinking.  How far are people's needs for money go?

All of my post have been honest, good or bad, it doesnt make me "not nice", it just makes me honest.  I know I need to grow and trust me, im working on it.  It would be easy for me to say " No i wouldn't risk the life of a stranger," but it wouldn't be the truth.  And although I believe in fate and destiny, I no longer believe in Karma.  I have  read about  truly horrible people rapist and child molesters  who win the lottery while some of the most beautifully kind hearted people live a horrific  financial existance. let alone win the lottery.   

Think about the people who would not only risk the life of strangers but will "knock" off their spouse or even kids for a  $100k life insurance policy,  talk about "not nice." But for my husband--No way not for all the tea in china or every winning number on  a Mega Millions lottery tickets.  And thats the truth.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: December 15, 2009, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

What I wrote to Ambelambas post was from the heart.  it has nothing to do with being nice.  It's simply the truth at least for now.  I know what this person is going through because I lived it.  I am still growing in my faith  but like i said--especially after what I went through the last couple of years  the fear of growing old without financial security is a strong fear as well.  But Ambelambas post  and discussing that movie with my friends did get me to thinking.  How far are people's needs for money go?

All of my post have been honest, good or bad, it doesnt make me "not nice", it just makes me honest.  I know I need to grow and trust me, im working on it.  It would be easy for me to say " No i wouldn't risk the life of a stranger," but it wouldn't be the truth.  And although I believe in fate and destiny, I no longer believe in Karma.  I have  read about  truly horrible people rapist and child molesters  who win the lottery while some of the most beautifully kind hearted people live a horrific  financial existance. let alone win the lottery.   

Think about the people who would not only risk the life of strangers but will "knock" off their spouse or even kids for a  $100k life insurance policy,  talk about "not nice." But for my husband--No way not for all the tea in china or every winning number on  a Mega Millions lottery tickets.  And thats the truth.

lottocalgal,

I appreciate your honesty and I believe you but upon reflection would you still take the risk of a family member being the one to die so you could have 20 million?

And could you live with yourself afterward?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        8359 Posts
                        Posted: December 16, 2009, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

This is pretty awkward and some people might not get it.... everybody is born and everybody is going to die there are situations i would take the money but not without knowing some things first an example would be my mother in 1991 she died of multiple heart attacks. While at home in the kitchen she had her first attack the paramedics came and revived her she had another attack a few minutes later and they revived her again on the way out to the ambulance she had another attack they revived her again and while in the ambulance she had another three attacks. And the revived her again and again. While in the ER they place a pace maker to keep her alive and put her on a ventilator.

The doctor's called they family members together and gave us the bad news they said my mother suffered multiple heart attacks but for some reason kept fighting to stay alive. She was down for the count as having so many attacks was akin to having been run over by a tractor trailer 7 times.

They said she could possibly survive for a while longer but if she did she would never speak again never be able to eat, walk, or take care of herself for all purposes she was dead and if they removed the pacemaker she would succumb to the heart attacks.

My mother begged me for years to get an insurance policy on her i never did she had no insurance either, no will no nothing didn't even sign the title to her house over to one of her children. Life after her death was pretty trying. The 20 million sounds good at this point but i would gladly paid 20 mill to have her here on earth. She was a great mom everybody loved her but it was her time to go.

My mother would have wanted me to take the money she knew she was going to die the doctors told her months before her attack that she was on borrowed time. If her death would have meant my being well off financially then i should have no problem accepting the money.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                          RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19816 Posts
                          Posted: December 16, 2009, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

I think some players like to fantasize about playing the lotteries and never winning big as a noble venture because winning a lot of money might change their life for the worst.  Unfortunately they will never know for sure unless they win a jackpot and we all know the odds of that happening.  I have no doubt if a jackpot was won, the consequences of accepting it would never cross most players minds, they would accept them and life would go on.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10344 Posts
                            Posted: December 16, 2009, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

I'm going to quote something from my previous post (with the typos corrected!);

Let's say a person does go for it......they get their guaranteed 20million. A short time later they find out they have some illness, andthe person who died to conclude the deal was a researcher that wasclose to a cure for that very illness.

That is karma. And it happens. I'm sure many here have seen The Curse of the Lottery programs on TLC. Not saying that's valid or not, but if a lottery jackpot could come with a curse "as is", doing something like the situation in the OP would make for a "double curse", no?

lottocalgal,

Re: karma, scoundrels who win, and nice folks who don't. It may take years for a karmic debt to be repiad, or it may happen in a short time.

Here's an example, a mild one, of a karmic debt and how it works. Someone goes to a grocery store and frozen pizzas are on sale, 4 for $20. They put them on the botom of the shopping cart and the cashier misses them, so they get out of the stor without having paid for them.

Some time later, maybe soon, maybe not so soon, that person loses a $20 bill. KARMA. Not only that, but human nature kicks in and they get furiouis over having lost the $20.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                              Ringleader
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #81740
                              October 28, 2009
                              40293 Posts
                              Posted: December 16, 2009, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

life is so very short and precious , let the people you love know it. no amount of money is worth it. extra money would help relieve some of the stress , pays some bills , buy some new clothes . i don't have all the material things i want , but i have a husband and son who make every day a blessing , without  them who would i look good for in new clothes?

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"