Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 10:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A Lottery Delema--Winfall or just fall?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 7 years ago by jwhou.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
Texas
United States
Member #55889
October 23, 2007
5763 Posts
Posted: December 18, 2009, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

I think some players like to fantasize about playing the lotteries and never winning big as a noble venture because winning a lot of money might change their life for the worst.  Unfortunately they will never know for sure unless they win a jackpot and we all know the odds of that happening.  I have no doubt if a jackpot was won, the consequences of accepting it would never cross most players minds, they would accept them and life would go on.

Good point.

I have thought about how I would handle winning a large (millions) jackpot. How I would tell my brother, how I might help him. How I would protect myself and my family. How I would have to change how me and my family would live. Most people probably fantasize winning millions but really don't think very deeply about it. They just think about quitting jobs they hate and buying stuff.

I really just want some financial security. That's why I play even when the jackpots are not very big, because I would just as happy (maybe happier) with a Texas 2 Step jackpot worth 500k as opposed to a MM jackpot of 100 million.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
    Member #13130
    March 30, 2005
    2171 Posts
    Posted: December 19, 2009, 3:10 am - IP Logged

Interesting. How would I know which of the thousands of people who die everyday was the one dispatched in exchange for my lottery win?

With regard to the dead-researcher-who-was-close-to-a-cure-for-your-newly-diagnosed-illness scenario, I'd say that unless the disease is going to take 10 or more years to kill you, don't worry about it. Most researchers take notes, BTW. A new medicine takes about 6 years of research to reach clinical trial stage, and another 6 to 8 to get through all three "Phase" trials and become available for sale. Those are the good cases.

"Close" in research terms means "within a generation ... maybe".

If a treatment is going to save you, it has to be well beyond the "just discovered" stage.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
      Member #80450
      September 27, 2009
      56 Posts
      Posted: December 19, 2009, 3:31 am - IP Logged

I had to change this...

To be honest I would be insulted that some thinks they can offer me money for another persons life...

No and I would tell the person where to go.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        CA
        United States
        Member #57222
        December 23, 2007
        587 Posts
        Posted: December 19, 2009, 9:29 am - IP Logged

The concpt of The Box came from a book called The Book of Questions.

If you see it in a bookstore, at least look through it. It gives various scenarios and asks what you would do, and every so often some of the questions have a further explanation in the back of the book.

For the situation you asked, my answer is no, the reason being karma.

Let's say a person does go for it......they get their guaranteed 20 million. A short time later they find out they have some illness, and the person who died to comclude the deal was a researcher that was closde to a cure for that very illness.

Is that book of Questions like the game  "how much would it take?"  Its a fun game that I used to play in college  but it does  what my post did,  get people to thinking  but letting folks in on your secrets and greeds. Some  attack your responses others  might hold it against you.  I havent played it in over 20 years  and wouldnt try it now.  Well I guess I do with some of the lottery polls out there  but here its all anonymous fun where noone knows who or where we are.  (except for Todd who can locate the exact position of our IP addresses- LOL)

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10392 Posts
          Posted: December 19, 2009, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

time*treat,

You made valid pionts about medical research and flash- to- bang- time for new medicines, but for the sake of the point being made I'll tweak the scenario.

Let's says our player goes for the deal and so,meone somewhere drops dead. Let's say that the winner puts their car in a ditch in a very heavy rain in a flash flood area, and as the ater in the car is rising, a two truck driver who was the only one nearby was the one that dropped dead.

lottocalgal,

Kind of like your game but it's not always 'How much would it take?'

This is question 4 from the 1987 edition, the first question with an asterisk, and thus follow up comments.

Q. If you could spend one year in perfect happiness but afterwould remember nothing of the experience would you do so? If not, why not?*

(Then here's the comment, which you look up in the back of the book, in Further Questions):

* Which is more important, actual experiences or the memories that remain when the experiences are over?

If you ever see this book in a bookstore, they are quite entertaining.

Maybe we should do a thread: The LP Book of Questions

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
            Chicago
            United States
            Member #70678
            February 8, 2009
            889 Posts
            Posted: December 20, 2009, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

I'm going to say NO way! I'm also a believer in karma but that's not why I would say no.

Guilt would eat me alive! There is no way I could enjoy that money KNOWING that someone lost their life because of it.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: December 20, 2009, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

time*treat,

You made valid pionts about medical research and flash- to- bang- time for new medicines, but for the sake of the point being made I'll tweak the scenario.

Let's says our player goes for the deal and so,meone somewhere drops dead. Let's say that the winner puts their car in a ditch in a very heavy rain in a flash flood area, and as the ater in the car is rising, a two truck driver who was the only one nearby was the one that dropped dead.

lottocalgal,

This is question 4 from the 1987 edition, the first question with an asterisk, and thus follow up comments.

Q. If you could spend one year in perfect happiness but afterwould remember nothing of the experience would you do so? If not, why not?*

(Then here's the comment, which you look up in the back of the book, in Further Questions):

* Which is more important, actual experiences or the memories that remain when the experiences are over?

CT,

I have this edition :)

I'd say memories are more important. Memory is learning. That is what guides us through life.

Happy memories get us though rough patches. Unpleasant ones (or events that could have turned out that way) help us steer clear of bad situations, or keep you awake at night. I'm sure you can think of any number of "dumb" things you did that were hilarious at the time, but you would not do them again.

Supposedly there is research going on to erase unpleasant memories from soldiers & people in war situations. That doesn't erase the event, but it would make re-intergrating into society much easier.

As for your tow truck scenario, "When you put it that way..." LOL

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
                Midlands, SC
                United States
                Member #69698
                January 14, 2009
                303 Posts
                Posted: December 20, 2009, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

WOW!  That's an interesting question. 

As bad off as I am now...with a credit score too low to post and an entire family in debt, I just couldn't do it.  I simply wouldn't be able to sleep at night.  It seems to me that taking the money is equivalent to pulling the trigger on someone. 

I don't like many things but these 3 top the list: Jail, Karma & Gaining Weight!

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                  CA
                  United States
                  Member #57222
                  December 23, 2007
                  587 Posts
                  Posted: December 20, 2009, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

time*treat,

lottocalgal,

I think I'd like that game  but... I'd be afraid   because 'how much would it take" is close to my original thread.  Its mainly  morals Vs greed.  Like  when people say  "we all have  a price  how much is the REAL question."  A lottery question - especially here, would get fun only if people are not afraid to be honest--afraid to be judged by  others. I would like  that game; the questions here probably won't be nearly as foul as those I had to answer during  my college days.   Of course  you see what happend when I asked-  it got pretty deep.

United States
                    Member #83701
                    December 13, 2009
                    225 Posts
                    Posted: December 24, 2009, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

A recent post  got me to do some serious thinking about choice and the lottery,  my quest to win and what winning the lottery may mean in my life. I also thought about this when I saw previews of the movie "The box".  Please be serious in your responses.  I truly want to know how people think.

If you were guaranteed to win the the lottery for let's say  20 million (tax free) dollars but you knew someone would die because of it,  would you accept it?  And i will make it easy;  It won't be yourself,  but could be  ANYONE else.  (this includes you kids or spouse). 

In all honesty  I  wouldn't because my husband would be included but if he were NOT included then I would without hesitation.  (Yes  i still have family out there-no kids)  I think about the fact that I consider myself to be a growing christian  and shouldnt think this way but my fear of being (staying) broke forever is strong as well.

I never really liked the box type stories where a couple receives a box with a button and is told that if they press the button, someone they didn't know would die but they would receive a large sum of money.   Eventually, assuring themselves that it was indeed just a wooden box with no mechanisms and hence could do nothing, they push the button upon which the man who gave them the box arrives with the money in exchange for the box and when the couple asks what will happen to the box, they are told that it will be given to someone they do not know implying that they are next to die.

It's supposed to be a morality story about how interconnected we are but I see it as an immoral story because what they regret is the possibility that they may die at another's hand not that someone else had died hence keeping the box rather than pushing wouldn't necessarily have been altruistic but could of been self preservation hence reducing the morals of the story to listen to others rather than trust your own judgement as to what the box is.

As to the morality of choosing winning the lottery over the life of another, we do this everyday, many people work in businesses that profit from the misfortunes of other.   Coffee is at the expense of cheap labour in distant countries, gold and diamonds is at the expense of war in Africa, how many people have died on the roads because cars were made?   how many people die to secure our supply of oil?   When you go to a crowded emergency room that's overwhelmed they practice triage so someone died so you could live.   The very fact that we enjoy a life of plenty in comparison to most of the world is at the expense of those in poorer countries.   Drawing the line at people that you know and care about is probably even more immoral, certainly the death of a loved one would be more devastating to you but as a christian, isn't love for a stranger more a love of God then love of those close to you?    That's actually a specific teaching in the bible.   Why is it that you wouldn't because your husband might be the one who would die but you would if it's a complete stranger and how is that consistent with the Christian beliefs?