Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:36 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Year-End Review

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Nino224.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
Miami
United States
Member #62793
July 9, 2008
673 Posts
Posted: December 27, 2009, 1:56 am - IP Logged

I was hoping for a big December so I could pay some debts, and have an easier holiday, but it wasn't meant to be. I wish I could say I broke even in 2009. Luckily I'm in the red for just a few hundred dollars. This year my playing became more organized. Instead of buying the odd QP on payday, and for large jackpots, I made sure to start playing all jackpot games every day, $1 each plus Powerplay and Xtra on Lotto. About $20 a week. I'm sticking with qp's on some games and selecting some fixed numbers in others. In November I started chasing the P3 and P4 games, but I'm not doing that anymore. I want every dollar to go towards a win that can change my life.

How was your year, lottery-wise? Did you come out ahead, break even or lose? What are you going to do differently? Are you going to keep playing or give up and pay more attention to your 401K instead?

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: December 27, 2009, 9:37 am - IP Logged

Like 99.9% of all lottery players, I spent more than I won. But looking at it as a hobby as I do, it doesn't bother me at all because what other hobby ever pays some of your money back anyway?

I play conservatively anyway, with just 2 lines on every jackpot game available to me for every draw. When I start hitting I'll throw in a few extra bucks but nothing I can't afford. I may hit the big one someday or I may not but it's fun playing anyway as long as you don't take it too seriously. If I was banging my head on the wall after every loss it wouldn't be fun and I wouldn't do it. Too many people I think, feel like they're on a mission to win the jackpot and let it bother them everytime they don't win.

I just keep my numbers in play just in case and hope to get lucky someday. It could happen!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5588 Posts
      Posted: December 27, 2009, 9:53 am - IP Logged

Every year at this time I review what I played, spent, won, lost. Then I review how I want to play next year. I play all the jackpot games in Tx. I play Cash 5 and P3 and P4 sporactically.

Thing is, I found a way that gives me a very good shot at making a profit on P3, but it doesn't interest me because it's not life changing. By profit I'm talking a few hundred bucks a year. Anytime you make a profit on the lottery is very good.

Anyway, I spent about $1275 this year, and I'm planning on cutting back next year. I'll continue to play MM, but just one line with the megaplier. I'll play PB the same way when we get it, but I'll probably play only whichever game has the highest jackpot. I'll play 2 Step for a buck a draw because of the better odds and it's get out of debt $. I'm going to play Tx Lotto a little different. I'm going to play all the numbers in 9 lines for half the draws, and one line the other half. That will get my cost down to about $800 for the year.

Always remember, play for fun, but might as well try to win while I'm at it, but sensibly.

Good luck to all in 2010.

Miami
        United States
        Member #62793
        July 9, 2008
        673 Posts
        Posted: December 27, 2009, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

Like 99.9% of all lottery players, I spent more than I won. But looking at it as a hobby as I do, it doesn't bother me at all because what other hobby ever pays some of your money back anyway?

I play conservatively anyway, with just 2 lines on every jackpot game available to me for every draw. When I start hitting I'll throw in a few extra bucks but nothing I can't afford. I may hit the big one someday or I may not but it's fun playing anyway as long as you don't take it too seriously. If I was banging my head on the wall after every loss it wouldn't be fun and I wouldn't do it. Too many people I think, feel like they're on a mission to win the jackpot and let it bother them everytime they don't win.

I just keep my numbers in play just in case and hope to get lucky someday. It could happen!

How right you are.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

Miami
          United States
          Member #62793
          July 9, 2008
          673 Posts
          Posted: December 27, 2009, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

Every year at this time I review what I played, spent, won, lost. Then I review how I want to play next year. I play all the jackpot games in Tx. I play Cash 5 and P3 and P4 sporactically.

Thing is, I found a way that gives me a very good shot at making a profit on P3, but it doesn't interest me because it's not life changing. By profit I'm talking a few hundred bucks a year. Anytime you make a profit on the lottery is very good.

Anyway, I spent about $1275 this year, and I'm planning on cutting back next year. I'll continue to play MM, but just one line with the megaplier. I'll play PB the same way when we get it, but I'll probably play only whichever game has the highest jackpot. I'll play 2 Step for a buck a draw because of the better odds and it's get out of debt $. I'm going to play Tx Lotto a little different. I'm going to play all the numbers in 9 lines for half the draws, and one line the other half. That will get my cost down to about $800 for the year.

Always remember, play for fun, but might as well try to win while I'm at it, but sensibly.

That's a master plan. $1,275 or a little over $100 a month is a nice modest amount. That's about where I'm at, and I'll start with MM once it comes to FL. I have the same feeling on P3's.

I'm not sure I follow your TX Lotto strategy. 9 lines for half the draws?

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
            Illinois
            United States
            Member #82001
            November 3, 2009
            890 Posts
            Posted: December 28, 2009, 12:04 am - IP Logged

I am swearing off scatch-off forever and play more pick 3/4 when I get a good feeling. I came close a few times and think of it as 'seed' money that I can reinvest in other bigger life changing games. I can't wait for powerball to come to my state so can try the powerplay.

So are you better off playing 1 line with powerplay than just playing 2 lines? The odds seem better and I would be happy with just a mil Smile

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              6537 Posts
              Posted: December 28, 2009, 12:26 am - IP Logged

I was hoping for a big December so I could pay some debts, and have an easier holiday, but it wasn't meant to be. I wish I could say I broke even in 2009. Luckily I'm in the red for just a few hundred dollars. This year my playing became more organized. Instead of buying the odd QP on payday, and for large jackpots, I made sure to start playing all jackpot games every day, $1 each plus Powerplay and Xtra on Lotto. About $20 a week. I'm sticking with qp's on some games and selecting some fixed numbers in others. In November I started chasing the P3 and P4 games, but I'm not doing that anymore. I want every dollar to go towards a win that can change my life.

How was your year, lottery-wise? Did you come out ahead, break even or lose? What are you going to do differently? Are you going to keep playing or give up and pay more attention to your 401K instead?

This wasn't a very good year for me lottery-wise. I was definitely in the red. But, in other areas of my life, it was a good year so I'm not going to complain. I am hoping however, that 2010 is a better year for me when it comes to the lottery! Smile

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10344 Posts
                Posted: December 28, 2009, 12:30 am - IP Logged

The game I play almost everyday is Illinois Little Lotto. a 5/39 game.

For the year to date I'm - $918 and + $460, but $370 of that + $460 is from a Pick 3 $290 straight box and a $80 Straight box (double numbers). Most of the rest of the remaining $90 winning is from an occassional $10 in Little Lotto (3 of 5), $1 payoffs from 2 of 5, having the Mega Millions number once or twice, and a couple of $3 payoffs in Lotto.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Miami
                  United States
                  Member #62793
                  July 9, 2008
                  673 Posts
                  Posted: December 28, 2009, 3:22 am - IP Logged

I am swearing off scatch-off forever and play more pick 3/4 when I get a good feeling. I came close a few times and think of it as 'seed' money that I can reinvest in other bigger life changing games. I can't wait for powerball to come to my state so can try the powerplay.

So are you better off playing 1 line with powerplay than just playing 2 lines? The odds seem better and I would be happy with just a mil Smile

I've cut back drastically on scratch-offs. I don't do very well with those at all.

Miami
                    United States
                    Member #62793
                    July 9, 2008
                    673 Posts
                    Posted: December 28, 2009, 3:24 am - IP Logged

This wasn't a very good year for me lottery-wise. I was definitely in the red. But, in other areas of my life, it was a good year so I'm not going to complain. I am hoping however, that 2010 is a better year for me when it comes to the lottery! Smile

Somebody told me even number years are generally better.

South Florida
                      United States
                      Member #82132
                      November 6, 2009
                      112 Posts
                      Posted: December 28, 2009, 6:39 am - IP Logged

I don't have an exact figure on my losses in the lottery since I wasn't really keeping track as much in October, but I know I spent around $10 a draw back then, every other night, so over 3 months that's about $450. But I also tried some small wheels a couple times too...and every now and then I'd buy $15 worth of tickets when I was feeling extra enthusiatic...plus I bought 5 tickets at $20 a pop for an end of the year raffle. Oh and I also donated $10 a few times to the powerball draws when they grew very large between October and now. 

So, I'm fairly certain I'm somewhere around $700 or so in the hole over 3 months...which isn't even a fraction of my losses elsewhere (stock market). It's sad to be able to say that the money I lost on lottery related gambling doesn't bother me. The only reason why I feel this way is because I've endured far worse over the past two years...and it all comes back to gambling. This is exactly why I've vowed to put an end to it now when 2009 concludes.

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                        Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #49980
                        February 21, 2007
                        34096 Posts
                        Posted: December 28, 2009, 6:50 am - IP Logged

Stop playing the Pick 3  just play the mega million or the ones that pay more. I told my Husband this today,we will stop playing and start to play the mega Million 2X a week. Tues. and Fri. Maybe  the Lotto. He plays everyday 2 a day. I told him we are going to stop this and this is our New Years Resolutions.  I know he must of spend a least $300.00 a month. Maybe more. It is getting to be to much.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                          CA
                          United States
                          Member #57222
                          December 23, 2007
                          587 Posts
                          Posted: December 28, 2009, 9:00 am - IP Logged

Somebody told me even number years are generally better.

I hope you're right on that one. Even with the four hit win, I am still in the red, but like most of us, its the money that I allocated for the lottery.  the only time I play more,  is when I win.  Like yesturday I won $10 on a scratcher, ( that I plan to NOT play in 2010) but instead of buying another scratcher, I bought $8 dollars in QPs Super Lotto and a Coke Zero soda.  I had .43 cents leftover so I came out ahead as well as quenched my thirst.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            CA
                            United States
                            Member #57222
                            December 23, 2007
                            587 Posts
                            Posted: December 28, 2009, 9:07 am - IP Logged

Rcbbuckeye,

Its true that Texas always does everything bigger and better. I was visiting the Texas Lottery site (not sure why) and saw those expensive scratchers.  They have some cool payouts!  like $500k and such--do you play those?  I saw some $50 tickets, which I would be too afraid to play and alot of $5 and$10 tickets that seemed to have nice payouts as well.  Have you ever played and won on those?  Californa must have done some kind of study  because I have yet to see a $10 scratcher and even more than 2   $5 scratchers at a time is rare.  But  like most of you, I like life changing games.  I played daily  4 for for a minute  but I love Fantasy Five and SLP.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                              Texas
                              United States
                              Member #55889
                              October 23, 2007
                              5588 Posts
                              Posted: December 28, 2009, 11:29 am - IP Logged

That's a master plan. $1,275 or a little over $100 a month is a nice modest amount. That's about where I'm at, and I'll start with MM once it comes to FL. I have the same feeling on P3's.

I'm not sure I follow your TX Lotto strategy. 9 lines for half the draws?

There are 8 or 9 draws a month depending on the month. What I'm thinking of doing,(still undecided) is 4 draws a month play all the numbers in the matrix, the other 4 or 5 draws play just 1 line, depending how high the jackpot is. There are 54 numbers in the matrix, 6 numbers in the draw, so 9 lines x 6 numbers equals 54. I actually have a sheet made up of 9 lines with all the numbers that I check each drawing, but don't play for real. I usually get 2 lines with 2 numbers each, which pays nothing,once in a while I get 3 numbers on a line which pays $3 which is almost nothing considering it would cost $9 to play.

It's just a way to increase my chances of winning the jackpot, but it is more expensive and doesn't reduce the odds that much in the big picture.