Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Excel users: What do you suggest? Learning resources.

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Delta Draw.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #81843
October 31, 2009
856 Posts
Posted: January 3, 2010, 12:41 am - IP Logged

Books that is, or whatever you think would be better than the average basics for making spreadsheets. Looks like VBA is whole 'nother thing but anybody out there know what is good and productive for really learning Excel 2007?

Looks like much of what it is used for here by LP members is pretty advanced. True?

If you have any suggestions please leave them here. The function line and structure of a good spreadsheet seems to be the nuts and bolts.

Two topics not covered very well. Any good sources that really cover the function line and read'n/writing good functions? I am not talking about a few basics covered in a two-inch book or an idiots manual, I am looking for the meaty stuff like a whole chapter on conditional formatting and advanced powerful features that most lid operators never have to learn.

thanks

DD

Monkey Butt, USA
    United States
    Member #54569
    August 23, 2007
    1124 Posts
    Posted: January 3, 2010, 2:19 am - IP Logged

Have you paursed the shelves in the computer section of Half Priced Books? Or The shelves of the library? Or the shelves of one of the local community colleges? These would be a good place to start. You can search google. A few weeks ago I needed help for my excel and used google to find my answer.Bang Head

United States
      Member #81843
      October 31, 2009
      856 Posts
      Posted: January 3, 2010, 3:14 am - IP Logged

Have you paursed the shelves in the computer section of Half Priced Books? Or The shelves of the library? Or the shelves of one of the local community colleges? These would be a good place to start. You can search google. A few weeks ago I needed help for my excel and used google to find my answer.Bang Head

Yes I have. I need current excel info, the college has nothing of any value. I have to most likely go to a real city for real books, the bookstores have nothing. Internet is good but even with two screens it is a PIA. I like books,  - most I have seen are very basic and I am looking for something beyond an introduction of basics-  something in-depth. The MS book was okay but general in many ways. I know most of what I  want to know can be answered in a help search in excel but I find it kind of tangental. I learn more from trying to read function lines and looking at spreadsheets, but it is still difficult to learn how to read them without a good source of explanation. I think the way we might use a spreadsheet is a bit out-side of the box.

A powerful tool, but the manual is missing. Help searches are not exactly a manual. When I get a better grip on it and get out of the knee of the curve, learning will be more productive. I have Excel 2007 Visual Quick Tips at this time and it is a great little book. Print is small, but content is looking meaty. Progress is slow but steady and I have to be patient learning this software. I made a Vtrac converter using Winsum's blog post info and have the values in two other cells using  =$.  It might be a long time before I ever post a spreadsheet, but that is not my motivation. I want to study numbers and trends any way I can think of. That is fun for me.

Thanks Perdue,

DD

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        CA
        United States
        Member #57222
        December 23, 2007
        587 Posts
        Posted: January 3, 2010, 7:53 am - IP Logged

WHEN IN DOUBT GOOGLE IT! I love half price books too.  Most of my  study guides, including excel and Adobe  Photoshop, have come from HPB.

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49674 Posts
          Posted: January 3, 2010, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

Books that is, or whatever you think would be better than the average basics for making spreadsheets. Looks like VBA is whole 'nother thing but anybody out there know what is good and productive for really learning Excel 2007?

Looks like much of what it is used for here by LP members is pretty advanced. True?

If you have any suggestions please leave them here. The function line and structure of a good spreadsheet seems to be the nuts and bolts.

Two topics not covered very well. Any good sources that really cover the function line and read'n/writing good functions? I am not talking about a few basics covered in a two-inch book or an idiots manual, I am looking for the meaty stuff like a whole chapter on conditional formatting and advanced powerful features that most lid operators never have to learn.

thanks

DD

Title: Excel 2007 Bible
          Author: John Walkenbach

Read, Study, Learn by Doing!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

NASHVILLE, TENN
            United States
            Member #33372
            February 20, 2006
            1044 Posts
            Posted: January 3, 2010, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

http://www.mrexcel.com/

This site more than any other has been a tremendous help to me.

United States
              Member #81843
              October 31, 2009
              856 Posts
              Posted: January 3, 2010, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

Great!

Thanks All!

HPB is a website?  I'll take a look.

DD

United States
                Member #81843
                October 31, 2009
                856 Posts
                Posted: January 4, 2010, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

Found that MS has a new tutorial site. Of course when you do a search on the net, you get a billion hits and even MS has too many overlapping sites. Seems different now and several on-line tutorials were found when I went to excel help and typed 'tutorial'. Real lessons, tests and notes. Very productive time spent. Still a basic overview but an improvement to what I found before. I think a few months ago I left a comment wanting a clear road map to learning their products. Found  one. A good lesson can be found on the differences of the year versions of excel, compatibility and file extensions. There are many different extensions.

Still on the lookout for good books to review when I get to a real cultural-centered city.

I probably learned more in one evening than the local college offers in part 1 of a three part course ( they only teach part 1/3). I still think mastering the functions is where it is at as well as structure when designing a Spreadsheet. But what do I know? I am just a Guinea pig that is a glutton for software punishment.

Thanks everyone for your insights.

DD

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
                  Member #81314
                  October 16, 2009
                  18980 Posts
                  Posted: January 4, 2010, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

I"ll be taking, "excel" Late this month.

It's a class I need for my degree, if it's something in the book , I'll let you know.

Good Luck.

That's funny, you said something about the "excel" for dummies book, I was going to purchase it , along with whatever book the university has me purchase.

Lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Milwaukee, WI
                    United States
                    Member #3131
                    December 27, 2003
                    665 Posts
                    Posted: January 4, 2010, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

Again....

Instead of spending all the cash on Excel...

go to www.openoffice.org   and get one for FREE!

Works great, and probably do everything that you want to do.

MarkP

United States
                      Member #81843
                      October 31, 2009
                      856 Posts
                      Posted: January 5, 2010, 6:47 am - IP Logged

Got OO. I use it for a coloring book. Yea, I got I because it's free, but the resources are limited and so is the after-market support. I tried some spreadsheets here and had some problems. Why learn a look-alike? Why wonder why spreadsheets do not work and have to patch them up with the understanding of a seasoned excel user? It might be great for someone who thoroughly knows Excel so they can make it work for them, but I would rather learn the real deal. Not too many books on OO. Not a whole lot of professional users. I am sure a college or university that does not teach the product would even suggest using OO over excel in post-graduate work. The fact that it is free is attractive, but that goes with the saying, you get what you pay for. If I have a compatibility issue with an excel spreadsheet while using Excel it is identified and addressed.

OO Spreadsheets? Been there, done that, have the shirt and now I'm using it for an oil rag.

OO is like a Chinese tool: looks like and almost works like the real thing. One local mill bought Chinese pipe for a new plant and it started to fail. There was unmelted scrap steel in the product, but nobody knew. The Chinese invited a buyer to the foundry and grabbed some guy and took him outside and shot him dead. Everybody got what they paid for. Shooting some guy in the head out-back does not fix lost down time, or the product delivered. It is still crappy pipe and uninstalling it is way harded than software.

DD

CA
                        United States
                        Member #84266
                        December 26, 2009
                        410 Posts
                        Posted: January 5, 2010, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

There's plenty of tutorials on YouTube.

north carolina/virginia
                          United States
                          Member #2097
                          August 17, 2003
                          126 Posts
                          Posted: January 5, 2010, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

Funny thing I signed on to LP this evening to get help with Excel,  I've used and studied excel for awhile now, but I am stuck.  I created this large spreadsheet with all kinds of stats, but now I have been stuck for 2 days now on, example,Counting how many times a "0" follows a "0", how many times a "1" follows  a "0", and etc.  Well I thought I had the spreadsheet right because it is counting the pattern, but the horizontal digits 0-9 are reading the same as the verticle digits when the particular digit hits.  I can work with it, but I want a little more perfection to it.  So I have this formula, =countif($g:$F,"0")+countif($g:$f,"1") i don't know what to put next so the digits want duplicate.  Any ideas.  I guess I am in the boat with you DD, I need help on conditional formatting.  I tried the Pivot Table and it did'nt work for me.

north carolina/virginia
                            United States
                            Member #2097
                            August 17, 2003
                            126 Posts
                            Posted: January 5, 2010, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

The class will help you alot, I've taken it for Accounting, but it is so much to learn with Excel.  You will learn enough to get you pointed in the right directionSmile

United States
                              Member #81843
                              October 31, 2009
                              856 Posts
                              Posted: January 6, 2010, 9:54 am - IP Logged

Is this for a pick 3 or 4? Do you want to study the digits of a draw or digits of one draw to another?

You might have to take each draw and take each digit and separate them, placing them in another cell, then compare each digit as you like. There may be different ways to solve this task.

Well, like I said, I think what we do with excel is a bit outside of the box compared to accounting. I do not know if this is the right approach, but start a new post and see what you get. Just say someting like "Excel question". There are many experienced excel spreadsheet designers here and most likely, this same thing has been solved before.  Keep at it because  I am sure the program can do exactly what you want it to! Send me a PM when you get figured out, you are way ahead of me....lol!

DD