Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Excel users: What do you suggest? Learning resources.

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Delta Draw.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
ORLANDO, FLORIDA
United States
Member #4924
June 3, 2004
5914 Posts
Posted: January 6, 2010, 10:52 am - IP Logged

Funny thing I signed on to LP this evening to get help with Excel,  I've used and studied excel for awhile now, but I am stuck.  I created this large spreadsheet with all kinds of stats, but now I have been stuck for 2 days now on, example,Counting how many times a "0" follows a "0", how many times a "1" follows  a "0", and etc.  Well I thought I had the spreadsheet right because it is counting the pattern, but the horizontal digits 0-9 are reading the same as the verticle digits when the particular digit hits.  I can work with it, but I want a little more perfection to it.  So I have this formula, =countif($g:$F,"0")+countif($g:$f,"1") i don't know what to put next so the digits want duplicate.  Any ideas.  I guess I am in the boat with you DD, I need help on conditional formatting.  I tried the Pivot Table and it did'nt work for me.

United States
    Member #81843
    October 31, 2009
    856 Posts
    Posted: January 6, 2010, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

WOW!

DD

United States
      Member #81843
      October 31, 2009
      856 Posts
      Posted: January 8, 2010, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

The latest development was to use the excel help. I typed in tutorials. After a few days I found out on one of their sites there is a download for a new tab for excel 2007. It is called the Get Started tab. That will launch you to their resources for learning. Nice tutorials, and examples to learn from. The tab in my opinion should be there when you load the software and it might be a new Excel 2010 feature. This is good basic to intermediate information to build understanding and skills with excel. The lessons move fast and practice templates can be downloaded for the micro lessons along with a step-by step guide. If you are new to excel and don't know where to begin as I did, this is a good place to start by getting theGet Started  tab.

DD

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49835 Posts
        Posted: January 8, 2010, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

The latest development was to use the excel help. I typed in tutorials. After a few days I found out on one of their sites there is a download for a new tab for excel 2007. It is called the Get Started tab. That will launch you to their resources for learning. Nice tutorials, and examples to learn from. The tab in my opinion should be there when you load the software and it might be a new Excel 2010 feature. This is good basic to intermediate information to build understanding and skills with excel. The lessons move fast and practice templates can be downloaded for the micro lessons along with a step-by step guide. If you are new to excel and don't know where to begin as I did, this is a good place to start by getting theGet Started  tab.

DD

This add-in adds a Get Started tab to the Excel 2007 Ribbon. Commands on this tab give you easy access to free content on Office Online, such as training courses, video demos, and other Office Online content designed to help you learn Excel 2007 quickly. An Office Online interactive command mapping tool, also available on the Get Started tab, shows you where to find Excel 2003 buttons and commands in Excel 2007. Office Online Community discussions are also available directly from Excel with this add-in.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United Kingdom
          Member #70630
          February 7, 2009
          734 Posts
          Posted: January 10, 2010, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

Books that is, or whatever you think would be better than the average basics for making spreadsheets. Looks like VBA is whole 'nother thing but anybody out there know what is good and productive for really learning Excel 2007?

Looks like much of what it is used for here by LP members is pretty advanced. True?

If you have any suggestions please leave them here. The function line and structure of a good spreadsheet seems to be the nuts and bolts.

Two topics not covered very well. Any good sources that really cover the function line and read'n/writing good functions? I am not talking about a few basics covered in a two-inch book or an idiots manual, I am looking for the meaty stuff like a whole chapter on conditional formatting and advanced powerful features that most lid operators never have to learn.

thanks

DD

Yes my friend try,,              "        SYBEX,  "

San francisco..

Sometimes we can't see the woods for tree's, " so we have to clear a path "

Milwaukee, WI
            United States
            Member #3131
            December 27, 2003
            665 Posts
            Posted: January 11, 2010, 5:16 am - IP Logged

Got OO. I use it for a coloring book. Yea, I got I because it's free, but the resources are limited and so is the after-market support. I tried some spreadsheets here and had some problems. Why learn a look-alike? Why wonder why spreadsheets do not work and have to patch them up with the understanding of a seasoned excel user? It might be great for someone who thoroughly knows Excel so they can make it work for them, but I would rather learn the real deal. Not too many books on OO. Not a whole lot of professional users. I am sure a college or university that does not teach the product would even suggest using OO over excel in post-graduate work. The fact that it is free is attractive, but that goes with the saying, you get what you pay for. If I have a compatibility issue with an excel spreadsheet while using Excel it is identified and addressed.

OO Spreadsheets? Been there, done that, have the shirt and now I'm using it for an oil rag.

OO is like a Chinese tool: looks like and almost works like the real thing. One local mill bought Chinese pipe for a new plant and it started to fail. There was unmelted scrap steel in the product, but nobody knew. The Chinese invited a buyer to the foundry and grabbed some guy and took him outside and shot him dead. Everybody got what they paid for. Shooting some guy in the head out-back does not fix lost down time, or the product delivered. It is still crappy pipe and uninstalling it is way harded than software.

DD

One big reason I don't run the "real thing"

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2010/01/office_users_ta.html;jsessionid=SEIM2Q4GGTZCJQE1GHPCKH4ATMY32JVN

Office Users Targeted In Phishing, Rogueware Attacks

Posted by George Hulme, Jan 10, 2010 03:17 PM 

Read the link  for the rest...

---------------------------------------

M$FT free for 9 years 11 months!

OO will  go way past what 95% of users will ever do.

And do it safely.

So Open Office is much more than a cheap copy. It works great for most people.

So for great free software go to.

www.openoffice.org

And spend the $499 on lottery tickets....

MarkP

United States
              Member #81843
              October 31, 2009
              856 Posts
              Posted: January 12, 2010, 7:12 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the information Mark, I checked it out.

It is a current problem and not unlike those of the past. I cannot control that.

I paid $89.95 for my student/home version of MS office. The sale is still on I think. 2010 is yet another new version. I want to learn Excel now and not wait for textbooks to appear. I just ordered a Walkenback book on formulas and functions for Excel 2007. It will be some time for new 2010 books.

Having started with OO, I tried to learn how to use it. Not too much for the beginner, so it is a cheap alternative to MS, but only that, cheap. The volume of written and web support for MS Excel was the reason I paid for what I got. Also, compatibility was real important. The bookstore where I ordered today were pretty taken back on the price of the book I was ordering. There are no alternatives to support local business and save a buck. The book is only available for a hundred miles near the largest Intel ballroom fab in the world: D1D. I do not make my decisions based on the lowest bidder. Nor will I run and hide every time there is some new Internet threat. Nobody is immune.

OO did not have what I wanted or needed. MS had what I needed and it is supported and credible to the point that a monkeyshine look-a-like is unacceptable. Why would I buy books based on MS products to learn OO? A: because there are few books that cover OO, fewer users, less 'customer' support. OO is just a monkeyshine, a reflection of the real deal. Ever go to a Zoo and get a monkey to smile back at you?

I am glad you are MS free, but that is not my motivation. It sounds like a personal problem. I want the best tool available with all it's support as part of the package. OO failed that test. Retrieving an Excel spreadsheet that does not work once in OO, is one-times too many for me. I am very happy with my choice, as you are with yours.

Respectfully,

DD