Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Please Write To Your Governor

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 7 years ago by myturn.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: February 4, 2010, 5:00 am - IP Logged

I wrote to Governor Crist regarding the case of Abraham Shakespeare, who Police believe was murdered. I believe all winners should have the right to anonymity and until states change the law to allow this more tragedies will occur. Please contact you Governor and State Representative and help get this issue addressed.

Thank You

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Bondi Junction
    Australia
    Member #57242
    December 24, 2007
    1102 Posts
    Posted: February 4, 2010, 5:00 am - IP Logged

I wrote to Governor Crist regarding the case of Abraham Shakespeare, who Police believe was murdered. I believe all winners should have the right to anonymity and until states change the law to allow this more tragedies will occur. Please contact you Governor and State Representative and help get this issue addressed.

Thank You

I got the following response:

Your recent email to Governor Charlie Crist has been forwarded to us for reply. On behalf of the Governor and the Florida Lottery, thank you for your correspondence.

We at the Lottery regret very much the situation involving Abraham Shakespeare and appreciate your views regarding personal privacy and Lottery prizes. Persons who hope to win a Lottery prize and some who have already won prizes have expressed similar views in the past. However, the State of Florida has a very strong public records policy with relatively few exemptions. Consistent with this policy, Florida Lottery winners' names and cities of residence are public information under the Public Records Act (chapter 119, Florida Statutes). Winners' street addresses and telephone numbers are specifically exempt from disclosure under Florida Lottery statutes and therefore are not placed on the Lottery’s Web site or otherwise released publicly.

We recognize that identifying a winner by name might result in persons attempting to locate the winner, but we also recognize the general public's legitimate interest in the state Lottery and the public's right to know that prizes are being awarded as advertised. Access to winners' names and cities of residence helps to reinforce the public's confidence in the fairness and integrity of the Lottery and its games—an important stipulation. As mentioned above, this is also consistent with the state's general policy of openness.

The Florida Legislature is the arm of state government responsible for enacting laws. If you have specific suggestions concerning a change in the public records law, you may wish to contact your local legislator. A complete list of all Florida Representatives and Senators is available at: leg.state.fl.us., or by phone (toll-free for Florida residents) at 1-800-342-1827.

The Florida Lottery is very proud to continue its role as a dependable contributor to education. Now in our 22nd year of serving the citizens of Florida, the Lottery will continue its mission with the support of players throughout the state.

Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

Florida Lottery – Secretary’s Office
    250 Marriott Drive, Tallahassee, FL 32399
    Main Line: (850) 487-7777

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      49674 Posts
      Posted: February 4, 2010, 8:32 am - IP Logged

You already knew what response you'd get: What purpose is served by writing?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
        Member #85037
        January 7, 2010
        252 Posts
        Posted: February 4, 2010, 9:06 am - IP Logged

I wrote too and got basically the same response.  I think the issue here is that she was already in his life when he won so being publicized had nothing to do with his death.  It's not like he won and then somebody broke in his house and shot him and stole his money.  I agree they should allow you to remain annonymous but i'm afraid it's going to take a drastic situation for them to change their mind.  They know we are going to buy lottery tickets no matter what, they don't care about our safety :(

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40363 Posts
          Posted: February 4, 2010, 10:26 am - IP Logged

they all have an agenda, what we really want doesn't matter.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
            Kansas
            United States
            Member #83963
            December 19, 2009
            347 Posts
            Posted: February 4, 2010, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

they all have an agenda, what we really want doesn't matter.

Sadly, this is true.

That said though, there is no reason not to go ahead and bother them. Every once in awhile someone accidentally pays attention, when you pitch enough of a fit....and a *real* change occurs. The time is NOW to let everyone know you've had ENOUGH of the way things are! Don't ever give up.....and I'm proud of you, myturn, for trying to do something about it. The minute every single one of us sits back and is complacent, and just lets the govt. do what they want to us, is the moment all freedom is lost.

Do what they said in the letter, then. Look up the email for all of your state Representatives and Congressman, and forward your letter to them. I'm no stranger to that kind of thing. Keep a copy of the email in your drafts, and hit "send" several times a week. They really enjoy that! Green laugh

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

CA
              United States
              Member #84266
              December 26, 2009
              410 Posts
              Posted: February 4, 2010, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure if there are more murders as a result of winning the lottery they will change the law.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10348 Posts
                Posted: February 4, 2010, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

The lotteries (and thus the states running them) know that there is no advertising as strong as a winner and word of mouth.

Just look at what happens when a store sells a big winner and posts it, how much more play that store gets after that.

The lotteries also know that if they simply announced we had a winner in (name the town) last night that the "yeah, right" factor would kick in.

"The lottery is telling us about make believe winners and keeping the money".

Tough situation.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                  Member #1826
                  July 11, 2003
                  2645 Posts
                  Posted: February 4, 2010, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

Well, some people who win in states besides Delaware actually set up a trust, a sort of shell corporation, which allows players to claim without actually divulging their name and whereabouts. I'm sure it costs a few bucks in attorney fees, but it's something to think about doing if you win.

(insert signature here)

United States
                    Member #61296
                    May 17, 2008
                    187 Posts
                    Posted: February 4, 2010, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

Please- u think the gov't gives a rats ass about keeping people safe and annonymous? Who is really annonymous anymore when u think about it? Arent there still warrentless wiretaps going on? It seems like everyone has a myspace or facebook accct updating every stupid thing they do so everyone on the internet knows their business, so why would the lottery be any diff? All they care about is selling u a dream of winning a ton of money, knowing statistically it will almost never happen, all in the interest of bulking up educational expenses that are always underfunded. Its a win win for lotteries, and a lose lose for players. Players may win sometimes, but unfortunately in this situation, they dont just lose their $$$.

Bondi Junction
                      Australia
                      Member #57242
                      December 24, 2007
                      1102 Posts
                      Posted: February 5, 2010, 2:44 am - IP Logged

You already knew what response you'd get: What purpose is served by writing?

I wrote to express my point of view. It is only if we speak out will than anything will be done. Politicians take notice if they get many letters on the same issue that is why, I am asking all lottery players to contact their state politicians let them know your opinion. The more letters they get, they more notice they take!

Bondi Junction
                        Australia
                        Member #57242
                        December 24, 2007
                        1102 Posts
                        Posted: February 5, 2010, 2:57 am - IP Logged

The issue of anonymity in not just about this case, it may or may not have helped Mr Shakespeare. I believe lottery winners have a right to anonymity. In other countries, such as Australia and the UK, all winners have a right to anonymity and their identity is not released unless they wish to have publicity, the vast majority choose not to be identified.

Bondi Junction
                          Australia
                          Member #57242
                          December 24, 2007
                          1102 Posts
                          Posted: February 5, 2010, 3:03 am - IP Logged

I wrote to the Massachusetts Lottery......

Dear Mass Lottery:
                          Jones said Abraham would tell him, "I thought all these people were my friends, but then I realized all they want is just money." 

It is time that
                          USstate lotteries allowed winners to remain anonymous. It works very well in other countries, such as Australiaand the UK.

When lottery winners are identified there is enormous pressure on them to solve all the financial problems of their family and friends; and many go broke trying. Allowing winners anonymity takes that pressure of winners. At the very lease, there should be a 90 day cooling off period before names are released, so winners have a breathing space and can get their affairs in order.

I do hope you will consider allowing winners to retain their anonymity, otherwise, I fear we will read more tragic stories. Thank you for your time.

Bondi Junction
                            Australia
                            Member #57242
                            December 24, 2007
                            1102 Posts
                            Posted: February 5, 2010, 3:08 am - IP Logged

I wrote to the Massachusetts Lottery......

Dear Mass Lottery:
                            Jones said Abraham would tell him, "I thought all these people were my friends, but then I realized all they want is just money." 

It is time that
                            USstate lotteries allowed winners to remain anonymous. It works very well in other countries, such as Australiaand the UK.

When lottery winners are identified there is enormous pressure on them to solve all the financial problems of their family and friends; and many go broke trying. Allowing winners anonymity takes that pressure of winners. At the very lease, there should be a 90 day cooling off period before names are released, so winners have a breathing space and can get their affairs in order.

I do hope you will consider allowing winners to retain their anonymity, otherwise, I fear we will read more tragic stories. Thank you for your time.

I got the following reply......

I understand your concerns, but the name and hometown of all of our winners are public information under the Freedom of Information Act and the Lottery Rules and Regulations. Please understand that reason for this law is not to exploit prize winners or to gain publicity for the Lottery. The law was written so that the Lottery can validate its games.  To uphold its integrity, the Lottery must be able to provide a public record of who has won its games.. We always recommend that our winners seek both legal and tax advice when they win a large prize, preferably before they come forward with the winning ticket.  One way remain fairly anonymous is to claim the prize in a trust.

Thank you for taking the time to write about this important issue.

Bondi Junction
                              Australia
                              Member #57242
                              December 24, 2007
                              1102 Posts
                              Posted: February 5, 2010, 3:38 am - IP Logged

I got the following reply......

I understand your concerns, but the name and hometown of all of our winners are public information under the Freedom of Information Act and the Lottery Rules and Regulations. Please understand that reason for this law is not to exploit prize winners or to gain publicity for the Lottery. The law was written so that the Lottery can validate its games.  To uphold its integrity, the Lottery must be able to provide a public record of who has won its games.. We always recommend that our winners seek both legal and tax advice when they win a large prize, preferably before they come forward with the winning ticket.  One way remain fairly anonymous is to claim the prize in a trust.

Thank you for taking the time to write about this important issue.

I replied......

Dear Mass Lottery:
                              Thank you for your reply. It is good to see the trust option and I do hope lottery winners are informed of this option. If Larry the lawyer wins he will know of the trust option, however, if Bob the bus driver wins, he may not know of the trust option. I do believe it is only fair that all lottery winners are informed of the trust option.

I would like to point out again that other lotteries, such as the UK lottery, automatically give all winners the option of anonymity.
                              The UK lottery has an excellent reputation and it's integrity is not questioned by British lottery players.

I do hope this feedback is helpful. I honestly believe it is incredibly dangerous for lottery winners to be identified.

Thank you for you time.