Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Please Write To Your Governor

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 7 years ago by myturn.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
Dallas, TX
United States
Member #60284
April 12, 2008
3856 Posts
Posted: February 5, 2010, 4:21 am - IP Logged

Let's not blame the policy for a winner's death. Perhaps, the person gave the good news to some bad people. If it is all annonymous, we would think the goverment is playing tricks on us taking money under the table. So, there will be a policy like this, with winner's information (name, city) will be available to the public.

I would just have moved and not tell anyone. Say I got a new job that pays nice salary.

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
    Kansas
    United States
    Member #83963
    December 19, 2009
    347 Posts
    Posted: February 5, 2010, 4:46 am - IP Logged

It's true, the winner may have gone public anyway, but he wasn't given the choice.

I live in an anonymous state. I would guesstimate from the research I have done, that about 3/4 of the winners here, or more, go public, despite the option we have. Many people don't care, so it doesn't affect it at all, from my observation. They are all still playing, and still winning. For those of us that want to be "unknown", we should all have the option. So, I'm not saying it should all be anonymous, the option should just be there.

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

United States
      Member #83701
      December 13, 2009
      225 Posts
      Posted: February 5, 2010, 10:19 am - IP Logged

I wrote to Governor Crist regarding the case of Abraham Shakespeare, who Police believe was murdered. I believe all winners should have the right to anonymity and until states change the law to allow this more tragedies will occur. Please contact you Governor and State Representative and help get this issue addressed.

Thank You

I doubt that anonymity or lack thereof had much to do with his death.   The sad thing is that when you are indepedently wealthy to the point of not having to work, your social circle becomes quite limited, most people who are not working throughout the day are doing so not because they are wealthy but due to other reasons.   If a lottery winner is not careful in setting up a life that he/she can be happy with, he/she can readily find him/herself to be surrounded by people of an unsavory nature.   Abraham Shakespeare died because of the company that he kept and the fact that his life had not prepared him to be one of the idle wealthy.

Of course, advertising your new found wealth is never a good idea nor is it a good idea to respond to requests for money.   The first one should do is set up a channel to defer such requests to, it could be as simple as a mailing address that goes straight into the garbage can or it could be a lawyer or assistant to filter requests.

I've heard of trust fund heirs who find themselves in middle age with only high school dropouts living on the streets as friends as those are the people without work during the day.

If I won, there would be a very limited number of people that I would be in contact with for a few years till the notoriety dies down and I would perhaps spend some time in a foreign country where it's very unlikely that anyone would know of the lottery that had been won.

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49674 Posts
        Posted: February 5, 2010, 10:59 am - IP Logged

Maybe Training in Personal/Family Security should be added to a Lottery Winners List of Things to do before Claming their Jackpot!

Pre-Incident Training: Dramatically reducing the chances of being targeted by kidnappers/murders:

Experience shows that most victims were never prepared. Wealthy family members can be trained to live in dangerous environments. Risk avoidance programs teach them to understand areas of vulnerability, and how to modify behaviour to avoid dangerous situations.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
          Member #32537
          February 12, 2006
          698 Posts
          Posted: February 5, 2010, 11:02 am - IP Logged

as much as i hate to say this

anyone can be anonymous on big jackpot wins

nonething stoped the guy who got murdered form being anonymous but HIM SELF!

form a legal stand point, he could of claimed it as a trust, and keeping hes name out of the news

in the united states  trusts can be A legal entity , and they can CLAIM It on YOUR Behalf, the public record laws can kiss my BEEP, i can bypass them with trusts and other tricks if need be

info:

legal entity  is used as: to refer to a juristic person, an artificial entity that the law treats for some purposes as if it were a person! 

so they must tell you what city it was won in, and who won, HOWEVER their a loophole!

in this case it would be my trusts name, and the truste who acts on the trusts behalf

congrats you just bypassed their public record laws with a trust Mwhahahaha

the only people to blame for not claiming anonymous are the winners them selfs!

the lotto people are to nice and give kind replys, its not their job to be your lawyer and tell you all your options

am blunt and will give you whats reality

must people who play the lotto and their for must lotto winners are NOT the smartest group of people alive

even more so when it comes to legal world!

they will get a lawyer to do that ,

but they them selfs are not SMART on legal world

it takes 2 to dance, a smart lawyer and a smart cilent, with both    they can bypass any public laws by making the trusts the middle Man, 

dont even blame the lawyers for not giving their cilents

if i was a lawyer and someone walked into my office saying i need you to do all the paper work, and help "me" claim the lotto

i do my job, now if they given me a order to form a trust and claim it for them,i do that job too!

for all the people who demand a public sacrifices , i give them a " person" to sacrifice to the evil public!

you want  to know a real person winning, fine, i send the lawyer!  in your face public!

, thats what they lawyers get paid for anyway, TO PROTECT YOU form others!

lotto has a intrest in making ever winner public, its just good marketing, and like they said "builds trust with the players"

they should have zero intrest  in helping protect you, but they CANT MAKE  "you" claim in person

WHEN they claim you must be public, all their really saying is their must be a public legal entity, to show off to the public

if must lotto winners going to claim, they are told they cant claim annonymous, if they FALL for it,  lotto doing their job

and only the winners are to blame, as it was their lack of brains!

leave the lotto alone, you already have a OUTLET to claim annonymous,  its not my issue or any Governor issue,

if you dont want to  abuse the living hell out of the laws on books, and bang your head on the WALL  called must have a legal entity name to give to the public FINE, do that

but know this, anyone , ANYONE could just walk around  or hop over that wall, with a little legal trick done by trusts

quotes about, anonymous

I like being famous when it's convenient for me and completely anonymous when it's not.

i like to think must people would agree that for lotto winners?

its not convenient for lotto winners having everyone with their hand out!

, knowing who they are would stop this!

SO USE THE LAW,      i love it the irony of this world,

all the major pb and mm all have lawyers to do all the paper work,

yet they whine later about wanting to be anonymous,  "bangs head on wall" 

think ahead next time before claiming  ON all your options!

if the lotto wants to play hard ball, send in the lawyers and let the laws of he land" in this case trust laws" bypass their stupid public record laws

what so few people understand is  artificial entity has  almust more rights then normal human beings now

a artificial entity can harm many people!

, and yet the real owners of it, the share holders, get away with it, whatever the crime

their middle man go down for the crime aka the ceo's so forth etc, sense they are  the legal entity in the court room

they can also give unlimited  amounts to helping get whoever they want elected into office NOW,

and the funny part is they claimed this right under the YOUR HUMAN RIGHTS in the us

First Amendmen, the right to no law abridging the freedom of speech

wake the beep up people, 

Legal entity in this nation can be just like  a you in the court room,and can claim lotto tickets,

a legal entity through which the law in the us , can be Natural person, they can do ever thing you can do

even claim lotto tickets, am begging you, listin to me!

wake up,  a legal entity  created by you, for you, can do your dirty work, 

just have the middle man aka lawyers be solders  to send to the public demanding their public  face, issue sloved

i end with this Public opinion can go to hell,  public records can kiss my beep,  and no amount of a states people and their laws, and sure as hell not their lotto can force you to show who you REALLY are , you can and SHOULD bypass them

if people of any state want to0 try and bully you, fight back, 

if the public wants to bully you into showing your face, bully them back, abuse their own laws, and stay anonymous via trusts, i rest my case

remb, the public likes to kill the messenger, their overall stupid is my point

use their own stupid laws agiant them,  and dont feel sorry for it,

your only protecting your self form idiots who beg others for money

and in the story above, will murder you for your money even!

anyone who wants to be anonymous can be, its a shame  not everyone does, but..............

you cant fix Stupid

There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gxKStPXyn8

so funny yet so true

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10348 Posts
            Posted: February 5, 2010, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

Things like the following have to be considered. A couple of years ago a woman in Illinois won the Mega Millions jackpot.

She hired professional make up artists to put here in a diguise for the press conference because she's a pharmacist and said that when people who knew her realized she'd won millions some of them would sure her over having been given "bad" prescriptions.

Makes a lot of sense, really. People go after cash-rich targets.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
              Charlotte NC
              United States
              Member #17406
              June 18, 2005
              4053 Posts
              Posted: February 5, 2010, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

I wrote to Governor Crist regarding the case of Abraham Shakespeare, who Police believe was murdered. I believe all winners should have the right to anonymity and until states change the law to allow this more tragedies will occur. Please contact you Governor and State Representative and help get this issue addressed.

Thank You

I know we are talking about having the RIGHT of "anonymity" but if people don't even sign their tickets and let clerks check and steal them, do you think they would opt for anonymity.  Would they even know about it? 

But you are right for those of us who would use it.

takeemtothebank

Bondi Junction
                Australia
                Member #57242
                December 24, 2007
                1102 Posts
                Posted: February 5, 2010, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

It's true, the winner may have gone public anyway, but he wasn't given the choice.

I live in an anonymous state. I would guesstimate from the research I have done, that about 3/4 of the winners here, or more, go public, despite the option we have. Many people don't care, so it doesn't affect it at all, from my observation. They are all still playing, and still winning. For those of us that want to be "unknown", we should all have the option. So, I'm not saying it should all be anonymous, the option should just be there.

I do wonder if your state lottery informs winners of their right to anonymity? I hope they do! Many people, in exhilaration of a jackpot win, don't consider the long-term consequences of the publicity. That is why I think a cooling-off period is a good idea. If people had a period of 30 or 60 days to let the lottery win sink in, and then give them the option of going public. I suspect very few would then choose publicity.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!