Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 3:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions Question

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 7 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Edmond, OK
United States
Member #86462
February 4, 2010
3 Posts
Posted: February 4, 2010, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

Why do they ask at time of purchase whether the winnings be payed out in payments or full?  Why does it have to be decided right then and put on the ticket like that?  It's not that way with power ball.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: February 4, 2010, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

That must be unique to your state, Ohio has been selling MM tickets since June 2005 and has never required that.  You can decide either way up to sixty days after the drawing.  There is no place on their play slips to put such information.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1955 Posts
      Posted: February 4, 2010, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

That's crazy you gotta pick which payment type you want at the time of purchase.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Edmond, OK
        United States
        Member #86462
        February 4, 2010
        3 Posts
        Posted: February 4, 2010, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

The ticket seller asks which one then it's put right on the ticket:

MM Ticket

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
          Member #47420
          November 4, 2006
          3930 Posts
          Posted: February 4, 2010, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

They started MM in Ky and this is the first I've heard of this..Where do you live that they do this..Could you be mixed up?..Write your lottery oulet and be sure..

United States
            Member #47420
            November 4, 2006
            3930 Posts
            Posted: February 4, 2010, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

I justed looked my playslip here in Ky and nowhere does it say that..

United States
              Member #47420
              November 4, 2006
              3930 Posts
              Posted: February 4, 2010, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

The ticket seller asks which one then it's put right on the ticket:

MM Ticket

I see it on your playslip..First time I've ever heard of this..

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10356 Posts
                Posted: February 4, 2010, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

I'm wondering if this doesn't go against the Mega Millions own rules, or if not, why it would be an option in any state.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23277 Posts
                  Posted: February 4, 2010, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19831 Posts
                    Posted: February 4, 2010, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

Why do they ask at time of purchase whether the winnings be payed out in payments or full?  Why does it have to be decided right then and put on the ticket like that?  It's not that way with power ball.

I looked at your state's website and they not only requires that information but they also cease sales of the tickets of both games an hour before the drawings.  In Ohio MM tickets can be bought up to 15 minutes before the drawings and I think surrounding states do the same.

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10356 Posts
                      Posted: February 4, 2010, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

This is from the Mega Millions website FAQ page;

11. What are the payout options?

If you are aMega Millions jackpot winner, you will have the choice of a Cash Optionor an Annual Payout. Annuity option: Provides annual payments over a26-year period. For every $1,000,000 in the jackpot, you will receiveapproximately $38,500 per year before taxes. Cash option: A one-time,lump-sum payment that is equal to all the cash in the Mega Millionsjackpot prize pool. Prize claim parameters vary from state to state.Contact your Mega Millions state lottery for detailed information.

I'm wondering what gives any state the right to override that or if there's not going to be a lawsuit result from this, or Mega Millions pulls out of the state.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                        Member #4877
                        May 30, 2004
                        5124 Posts
                        Posted: February 4, 2010, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

I looked at your state's website and they not only requires that information but they also cease sales of the tickets of both games an hour before the drawings.  In Ohio MM tickets can be bought up to 15 minutes before the drawings and I think surrounding states do the same.

Does UR state offer>>>>>>>POWERBALL????

What is UR cut-off <<<<<<<<POWERBALL??? if U have a POWERBALL state!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many states require U select UR payment when U PLAY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 minutes before a DRAWING sounds>>>>>>"GREAT">>>>>>but, all states/don't COMPLY!!!!!!

THANK'SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS4>>>>>>>D>>>>>>>>>>"LOTTERY POST">>>>>>!!!!!!!

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #55889
                          October 23, 2007
                          5615 Posts
                          Posted: February 4, 2010, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

In Texas we have always had to choose type of payment at the time of purchase for both Texas Lotto, and MM, and now for PB. According to the website the "policy was established in response to IRS rulings that impact the way the jackpot is taxed". (Found in the FAQ page). Which I think is BS because there are other states that don't require you choose at the time of purchase. If the IRS rulings require it for one state, I would think it would be the same for other states.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Raven62's avatar - binary
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #17843
                            June 28, 2005
                            49835 Posts
                            Posted: February 5, 2010, 12:16 am - IP Logged

NJ Players have to choose Cash or Annuity at time of Purchase for both MM & PB...

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19831 Posts
                              Posted: February 5, 2010, 12:18 am - IP Logged

In Texas we have always had to choose type of payment at the time of purchase for both Texas Lotto, and MM, and now for PB. According to the website the "policy was established in response to IRS rulings that impact the way the jackpot is taxed". (Found in the FAQ page). Which I think is BS because there are other states that don't require you choose at the time of purchase. If the IRS rulings require it for one state, I would think it would be the same for other states.

Ohio use to have that same rule until that IRS rule changed.  Each state make up their own rules for their lotteries.  Some states will payout a share of a jackpot to each member in a lottery pool if they win and others will only payout the jackpot to one person.

Evil Looking