Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions Question

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 7 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19831 Posts
Posted: February 5, 2010, 12:23 am - IP Logged

Does UR state offer>>>>>>>POWERBALL????

What is UR cut-off <<<<<<<<POWERBALL??? if U have a POWERBALL state!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many states require U select UR payment when U PLAY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 minutes before a DRAWING sounds>>>>>>"GREAT">>>>>>but, all states/don't COMPLY!!!!!!

THANK'SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS4>>>>>>>D>>>>>>>>>>"LOTTERY POST">>>>>>!!!!!!!

Ohio and California were the only MegaMillions states that didn't start selling PowerBall.  Ohio is expected to start sometime this summer.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: February 5, 2010, 12:28 am - IP Logged

In Idaho, we don't have to pick cash or annuity when we purchase our tickets.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
      Kansas
      United States
      Member #83963
      December 19, 2009
      347 Posts
      Posted: February 5, 2010, 5:19 am - IP Logged

In Idaho, we don't have to pick cash or annuity when we purchase our tickets.

We don't have to pick, either, and I didn't have any idea they did that in Oklahoma. I hadn't heard that yet, and I follow their lotteries, since they are within driving distance from me.

All of our games cut-off time is 8:59 pm CST, that is 11 minutes before P3, and an hour before PB and MM. All other games are around 30 to 40 minutes after sales stop.

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

Pa
        United States
        Member #2485
        October 9, 2003
        319 Posts
        Posted: February 5, 2010, 5:28 am - IP Logged

How comes some states have megplier and others do not have it. The game should be the same in all states.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5615 Posts
          Posted: February 5, 2010, 9:02 am - IP Logged

Ohio use to have that same rule until that IRS rule changed.  Each state make up their own rules for their lotteries.  Some states will payout a share of a jackpot to each member in a lottery pool if they win and others will only payout the jackpot to one person.

Yeah, in Tx if a pool wins, they will only issue one check. So a group of people would really need to form a trust or corporation.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

DFW, Texas
            United States
            Member #78628
            August 18, 2009
            134 Posts
            Posted: February 5, 2010, 10:13 am - IP Logged

How comes some states have megplier and others do not have it. The game should be the same in all states.

Before the expansion, only Texas had the Megaplier.  It isn't part of the game, but was added by the state.  As I understand it, all of the Powerball states that adopted Mega Millions also adopted the Megaplier, and all of the old Mega Millions states did not change, so Texas is still the only one of them that has it.  Texas still draws the Megaplier, instead of it being selected at the main drawing in Atlanta, because not all of the states use it.

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3475 Posts
              Posted: February 5, 2010, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

This is from the Mega Millions website FAQ page;

11. What are the payout options?

If you are aMega Millions jackpot winner, you will have the choice of a Cash Optionor an Annual Payout. Annuity option: Provides annual payments over a26-year period. For every $1,000,000 in the jackpot, you will receiveapproximately $38,500 per year before taxes. Cash option: A one-time,lump-sum payment that is equal to all the cash in the Mega Millionsjackpot prize pool. Prize claim parameters vary from state to state.Contact your Mega Millions state lottery for detailed information.

I'm wondering what gives any state the right to override that or if there's not going to be a lawsuit result from this, or Mega Millions pulls out of the state.

It clearly says that claim parameters may vary from state to state, so the states aren't overring anything.

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3475 Posts
                Posted: February 5, 2010, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

NJ Players have to choose Cash or Annuity at time of Purchase for both MM & PB...

NY has always required the advance decision for MM, but they aren't requiring it for PB. For whatever reason, they seem to be just following  the typical PB rules from other states.