Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 10:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is this legal?

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 7 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
Tx
United States
Member #4570
May 4, 2004
5180 Posts
Posted: February 11, 2010, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

You are in Tx and so long as you are in Tx you will not play the Florida pick 5, unless you first go there and buy numbers.

But your Florida friend can buy numbers and play the lottery there.

You send numbers and money to your friend, a check, money order or whatever should be O.K.

He buys the numbers, keeps the tickets on Florida (Does not send them back to you).

He wins and shares the winning money with you, sends you a check, money order or whatever.

If you all win the jackpot, if you want to, you can go to Florida, get the ticket from your friend, sign it or co-sign it and you or both of you go to claim the prize money.

But the ticket itself always stays on Florida and does not go out of that state.

I don't know the law,but it seems to be a very small lottery pool that you both got going on there.

And I myself don't see anything wrong with it.

This is not or should not be the same as online gambling as neither of you is doing online gambling as far as I know of.

You both would just have your own private lottery pool even you are on Tx and he or she is on Florida.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
    Santa Ana
    United States
    Member #71159
    February 20, 2009
    651 Posts
    Posted: February 12, 2010, 12:13 am - IP Logged

Hi folks.

I'm in Texas but want to play the Florida Pick 5.

Let's say I teamed up with a lottery partner in Florida.

I send my lottery partner 100 numbers to play and $100 through Paypal.

My lottery partner plays my 100 numbers with the $100 I sent.

If my numbers hit, I split the winnings with my lottery partner.

My lottery partner then sends my percentage of winnings back to me through Paypal, minus the necessary taxes my lottery partner is responsible for.

Is this legal?

Thanks, in advance.

There are so many red flags about this; 1st of all you will really need to pick a honest lottery partner in the State of Florida and depend on them to do the right thing several state lines away.  Also, how would you really know once you sent the $100.00 if they spend it all or part of it on the lottery--you won't know unless for some reason the numbers would hit and he or she didn't play them at that particular time.  You will need to have this partnership legalize by a contract or something just to cover your losses. As far as Paypal, contact them and ask for yourself whether it legal to do this or not.  However, it could work at least if you had a trusted friend who currently lives in the State of Florida;  for example I could contact two of my good friends whom I've known for quite somewhile and who live in Illnois and Texas and ask to do the exact same thing. But you have to have a strong friendship, along with trust to set up this type of partnership.

GOOD LUCK!!Embarassed

New York,
      Panama
      Member #73078
      April 4, 2009
      3490 Posts
      Posted: February 12, 2010, 12:28 am - IP Logged

There's always someone that has a way to break the law!!

It is not against the Law for someone from another state to buy me a tiket!! Megamillion is playing in a lot of States! So is Lotto or Mega Ball!    It is perfectly legal! Get your Facts!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: February 12, 2010, 12:57 am - IP Logged

Is this legal?
        No.

Or at least tells you so. They simply might spend your $100, and the only thing that gets played ... is you.

If your numbers hit and your lottery partner "splits" with their winnings, you'd have no legal recourse.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

New York,
          Panama
          Member #73078
          April 4, 2009
          3490 Posts
          Posted: February 12, 2010, 1:08 am - IP Logged

Is this legal?
          No.

Or at least tells you so. They simply might spend your $100, and the only thing that gets played ... is you.

If your numbers hit and your lottery partner "splits" with their winnings, you'd have no legal recourse.

What if all this conjector is only that?  What if the partner is a real Stand up person with a good heart and plays the 100 and does not "spli with the Winnings" sometimes we could be proyecting who we are, on to another person!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: February 12, 2010, 2:01 am - IP Logged

What if all this conjector is only that?  What if the partner is a real Stand up person with a good heart and plays the 100 and does not "spli with the Winnings" sometimes we could be proyecting who we are, on to another person!

If the other person is decent, honest, bakes apple pies and all that, then of course there is no problem. Wink
            The cases where it all works out aren't the ones you usually hear about.

There is/was an older story here about a group of people who won a large prize and one person hadn't put in the money for his share that week, although he had indicated he was planning to be "in". The manager of the pool let the guy square-up, after the drawing, so he could get a share of the prize with the others. That's the exception.

If you search the news archives, you can learn quite a bit about when things go wrong, when folks get dishonest & greedy.

Ultimately, it's cope's decision; I'm just letting him know that from a legal standpoint, he'll be unable to fight back if the other person cheats him.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

New York,
              Panama
              Member #73078
              April 4, 2009
              3490 Posts
              Posted: February 12, 2010, 10:13 am - IP Logged

If the other person is decent, honest, bakes apple pies and all that, then of course there is no problem. Wink
              The cases where it all works out aren't the ones you usually hear about.

There is/was an older story here about a group of people who won a large prize and one person hadn't put in the money for his share that week, although he had indicated he was planning to be "in". The manager of the pool let the guy square-up, after the drawing, so he could get a share of the prize with the others. That's the exception.

If you search the news archives, you can learn quite a bit about when things go wrong, when folks get dishonest & greedy.

Ultimately, it's cope's decision; I'm just letting him know that from a legal standpoint, he'll be unable to fight back if the other person cheats him.

Okay, Yep, the negative aspects have to be looked at, I hate Negatives...but one has to look before one leaps!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Jack-C's avatar - us
                San Diego, CA
                United States
                Member #61467
                May 24, 2008
                28146 Posts
                Posted: February 12, 2010, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

I have my facts.  You are the one in the dark.  I NEVER said that it was against the law to buy a ticket for another person.  I am only telling you what the LAW is.  This has been discussed here on LP dozens of times, but people just don't bother to do a search before posting something.  If you will search for "lottery pool" you will find enough info on LP to keep you busy for hours!  Or search on US Code.

There are laws against sending anything having to do with a lottery through the U. S. Mail.  You will find that UPS and FedEx also follow that law.  

The law that was passed just a few years ago (lots of discussion about that here on LP, also) prohibits transfers of money dealing with gambling.  That includes banks, credit unions, etc.  Yes, Palpal and Western Union are also included.  

Good reading!

New York,
                  Panama
                  Member #73078
                  April 4, 2009
                  3490 Posts
                  Posted: February 13, 2010, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

I have my facts.  You are the one in the dark.  I NEVER said that it was against the law to buy a ticket for another person.  I am only telling you what the LAW is.  This has been discussed here on LP dozens of times, but people just don't bother to do a search before posting something.  If you will search for "lottery pool" you will find enough info on LP to keep you busy for hours!  Or search on US Code.

There are laws against sending anything having to do with a lottery through the U. S. Mail.  You will find that UPS and FedEx also follow that law.  

The law that was passed just a few years ago (lots of discussion about that here on LP, also) prohibits transfers of money dealing with gambling.  That includes banks, credit unions, etc.  Yes, Palpal and Western Union are also included.  

Good reading!

WoW, Jack-C I stand corrected! I did not know that if a person sent $$ to another for numbers through Western Union, Western Union had a law against it. So the receiver would be honor bound to let western union know, that the money they were sent was for the purposes of buying the State lottery!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: February 13, 2010, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

I only obey laws that make sense. Just because some schmucks in DC say something is law don't mean jack to me. I agree with the quotes below: 

Dare to do things worthy of imprisonment if you mean to be of consequence.  ~Juvenal

Laws control the lesser man.  Right conduct controls the greater one.  ~Chinese Proverb

Never do anything against conscience even if the state demands it.  ~Albert Einstein

No radical change on the plane of history is possible without crime.  ~Hermann Keyserling

Human history begins with man's act of disobedience which is at the very same time the beginning of his freedom and development of his reason.  ~Erich Fromm, Psychoanalysis and Religion

Integrity has no need of rules.  ~Albert Camus

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

Laws are only words written on paper, words that change on society's whim and are interpreted differently daily by politicians, lawyers, judges, and policemen.  Anyone who believes that all laws should always be obeyed would have made a fine slave catcher.  Anyone who believes that all laws are applied equally, despite race, religion, or economic status, is a fool.  ~John J. Miller, And Hope to Die 

Every actual state is corrupt.  Good men must not obey laws too well.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

We should never forget that everything Adolf Hitler did in Germany was "legal" and everything the Hungarian freedom fighters did in Hungary was "illegal."  ~Martin Luther King, Jr., "Letter from Birmingham Jail," Why We Can't Wait, 1963

We cannot, by total reliance on law, escape the duty to judge right and wrong.... There are good laws and there are occasionally bad laws, and it conforms to the highest traditions of a free society to offer resistance to bad laws, and to disobey them.  ~Alexander Bickel

It is necessary to distinguish between the virtue and the vice of obedience.  ~Lemuel K. Washburn, Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other Essays, 1911

I think that we should be men first, and subjects afterward.  It is not so desirable to cultivate a respect for the law, so much as for the right.  ~Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience, 1849

As long as the world shall last there will be wrongs, and if no man objected and no man rebelled, those wrongs would last forever.  ~Clarence Darrow

It is not what a lawyer tells me I may do; but what humanity, reason, and justice tell me I ought to do.  ~Edmund Burke, Second Speech on Conciliation, 1775

I am free, no matter what rules surround me.  If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.  I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.  ~Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

It is not a man's duty, as a matter of course, to devote himself to the eradication of any, even the most enormous wrong; he may still properly have other concerns to engage him; but it is his duty, at least, to wash his hands of it, and, if he gives it no thought longer, not to give it practically his support.  If I devote myself to other pursuits and contemplations, I must first see, at least, that I do not pursue them sitting upon another man's shoulders.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobedience

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                      San Angelo, Texas
                      United States
                      Member #1097
                      January 31, 2003
                      1405 Posts
                      Posted: February 13, 2010, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

WOW - such diverse opinions!

I have a brother in Florida.

By agreement, I send him money and numbers.

He buys the Fan5 tickets.

He claims small wins

If I should win a big prize, say $250,000, I'll have to travel to Florida to collect.

My brother doesn't want or need an additional tax burden.

My brother will get a small percentage  - his choice.

If that's truly illegal, then one has to wonder to what level this country has sunk.

I'm sharing this bit of information because I'm just one of unknown thousands of folks who are playing
                      lotteries in states other than the one they live in.

The most important part is knowing and trusting the person who is handling the money and the tickets.

IMHP The laws on lotteries are designed mainly to prevent the illegal sale of lottery tickets across state lines for profit.

Case in point:

A New Jersey firm was selling tickets for the Texas Lotto game. 
                      The firm was charging more than a dollar per ticket.
                      A legal Texas lottery retailer bought the tickets and sent them to the NJ firm.

A New Jersey police officer bought a ticket with winning combinations for $4 million jackpot.

The firm presented the ticket to Texas Lottery Commission. They wanted the 5 percent retailers receive for
                      selling jackpot  tickets.

The TLC refused to pay.

1. The firm was not an authorized Texas lottery retailer.

2. The Texas retailer that  bought the tickets was not authorized to sell and send tickets to out of state players.
                      The retailer lost his license.

There were couple other grounds, but I can't recall all of the details.

Eventually, a Texas politician brought pressure on the TLC and the NJ cop got his jackpot, but the firm
                      didn't get anything.

Go figure!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: February 13, 2010, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

WOW - such diverse opinions!

I have a brother in Florida.

By agreement, I send him money and numbers.

He buys the Fan5 tickets.

He claims small wins

If I should win a big prize, say $250,000, I'll have to travel to Florida to collect.

My brother doesn't want or need an additional tax burden.

My brother will get a small percentage  - his choice.

If that's truly illegal, then one has to wonder to what level this country has sunk.

I'm sharing this bit of information because I'm just one of unknown thousands of folks who are playing
                        lotteries in states other than the one they live in.

The most important part is knowing and trusting the person who is handling the money and the tickets.

IMHP The laws on lotteries are designed mainly to prevent the illegal sale of lottery tickets across state lines for profit.

Case in point:

A New Jersey firm was selling tickets for the Texas Lotto game. 
                        The firm was charging more than a dollar per ticket.
                        A legal Texas lottery retailer bought the tickets and sent them to the NJ firm.

A New Jersey police officer bought a ticket with winning combinations for $4 million jackpot.

The firm presented the ticket to Texas Lottery Commission. They wanted the 5 percent retailers receive for
                        selling jackpot  tickets.

The TLC refused to pay.

1. The firm was not an authorized Texas lottery retailer.

2. The Texas retailer that  bought the tickets was not authorized to sell and send tickets to out of state players.
                        The retailer lost his license.

There were couple other grounds, but I can't recall all of the details.

Eventually, a Texas politician brought pressure on the TLC and the NJ cop got his jackpot, but the firm
                        didn't get anything.

Go figure!

If we all refuse to obey stupid laws, the idiots that make them wouldn't have enough jail cells to hold us all.

And in a perfect world we would be putting them in the cells.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

sully16's avatar - sharan
                          Ringleader
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #81740
                          October 28, 2009
                          42118 Posts
                          Posted: February 13, 2010, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

If we all refuse to obey stupid laws, the idiots that make them wouldn't have enough jail cells to hold us all.

Let's start with congress.

HyperBe Happy.

Sherita's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            Vtracs is My Game!
                            Georgia
                            United States
                            Member #3617
                            February 6, 2004
                            7497 Posts
                            Posted: February 13, 2010, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

Hi folks.

I'm in Texas but want to play the Florida Pick 5.

Let's say I teamed up with a lottery partner in Florida.

I send my lottery partner 100 numbers to play and $100 through Paypal.

My lottery partner then sends my percentage of winnings back to me through Paypal, minus the necessary taxes my lottery partner is responsible for.

Is this legal?

Thanks, in advance.

This disturbs me ....

1) Okay, this person is your "Partner". Is this partner also investing $100 of his own money in the venture?

2) Why is this person guaranteed a "percentage" of YOUR WINNINGS if you win if he or she has not invested money?

3) Is this a trustworthy person? I mean not in debt to the state of Florida ie.. taxes, child support. I so, all of YOUR WINNINGS when he claims the BIG one will no longer be yours or his!

I do know that you are allowed to send money through PayPal person to person and I hope that it is not specified in sending info that it is for the purpose of playing the lottery.

Just MY Opinion......

Congrats To All Winners and Posters!

LurkingWe are all in it to win!  My Pet numbers 103,724,152,397,189,118,205.

Ga Lottery Player!

Hot-Due-Cold. Short Sums/Last Digit Sum. Pairs. Vtracs. Vtrac Pairs. SUM OF VTRACS CHART.

Don't forget to FLIP 6/9 in all WORKOUTS!  66=99=69. Vtracs Code sheets available....

New York,
                              Panama
                              Member #73078
                              April 4, 2009
                              3490 Posts
                              Posted: February 13, 2010, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

rdgrne, I like the way you are talking!, Sounds like you are saying Thumbs UpWe the People!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina