Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Pick 4 in New Jersey you have to wait 3 weeks to receive your money!

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 7 years ago by taxijohn.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
motay38's avatar - batman38
new jersey
United States
Member #65466
September 27, 2008
469 Posts
Posted: February 12, 2010, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

Hey LP Family,

i hit the pick 4 in New Jersey tonight and just found out, yes I Hit the Pick 4 STR!!!  My first pick 4 hit and they told me to go to trenton, and I'll get my check in 3 weeks.  What's sup with that?  Is that true?

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8360 Posts
    Posted: February 12, 2010, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

Sounds about right but i don't know if some retailers won't pay you cash on the spot or not.

here are the rules.

http://www.state.nj.us/lottery/games/1-4-3_p4_rules.htm

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

United States
      Member #70687
      February 8, 2009
      7916 Posts
      Posted: February 13, 2010, 2:11 am - IP Logged

Unless it is completely different from NY, you could go to the office in person & they will give you a check. For instance, a NY lottery office is in downtown Manhattan. I have gone there, filled out the form, & they gave me a check right there on  the spot. I went across the street & cashed it with no problem.

calabs's avatar - bass fret.jpg

United States
        Member #27050
        November 26, 2005
        40272 Posts
        Posted: February 13, 2010, 10:18 am - IP Logged

Hey LP Family,

i hit the pick 4 in New Jersey tonight and just found out, yes I Hit the Pick 4 STR!!!  My first pick 4 hit and they told me to go to trenton, and I'll get my check in 3 weeks.  What's sup with that?  Is that true?

Something doesn't sound right here motay38.  While you DO have to wait for the money (anything over $599.50 I believe) there is a form you can fill out anywhere that sells lottery tickets.  The lottery agent mails in the form with your ticket, and you receive a check in about 3 weeks.  No need to travel to Trenton.  Have you gone to the NJ lottery website for information?

Lep

United States
          Member #27050
          November 26, 2005
          40272 Posts
          Posted: February 13, 2010, 10:26 am - IP Logged

Something doesn't sound right here motay38.  While you DO have to wait for the money (anything over $599.50 I believe) there is a form you can fill out anywhere that sells lottery tickets.  The lottery agent mails in the form with your ticket, and you receive a check in about 3 weeks.  No need to travel to Trenton.  Have you gone to the NJ lottery website for information?

I took this directly from the NJ Lottery website:

________________________________________________________________________

"The holder of a winning ticket for the "Pick-4" lottery can take said ticket to any agent having an agent-operated, on-line machine for validation. If said winning ticket entitles the holder to a prize of $599.50 or less, said prize will be paid by the agent upon presentation and validation of the ticket. If the winning ticket entitles the holder to a prize that is more than $599.50, the agent shall validate the winning ticket, after the claimant signs it. The claimant shall fill in the top portion of the claim form, the agent must fill in the ticket information portion of the claim form. Both the claimant and the agent sign the claim form. The original copy of the claim form with the bet ticket and validation receipt attached is mailed by the claimant to Lottery Headquarters in the claim form mailer envelope. Once a ticket and claim form is received at Lottery Headquarters and validated, it will not be returned to the winner, but will be retained by the New Jersey State Lottery and the payment will be processed. The winner will retain a copy of the claim form prior to mailing to Lottery Headquarters. All prizes in excess of $5,000.00 will be subject to federal withholding at the prevailing tax rate."

Lep

hennybogan's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
            McKinney/Texas
            United States
            Member #47363
            November 1, 2006
            706 Posts
            Posted: February 13, 2010, 10:29 am - IP Logged

All I know is Texas. I live just outside of Dallas. No retailer in the state of Texas is authorized to pay a winner more than $599. You must either go to the state lottery headquarters in Austin, Texas, or to the nearest city lottery commission office.

The local Texas Lottery Commission has an office on Mockingbird Lane here in Dallas.

I drive to their office. I show them my winning play slip, they ASK ME WHAT SYSTEM I USED(always say you are just lucky!!!), I sign an IRS form, they take my picture to post on the register of the store where I purchased the ticket, they give me a Texas Lottery shirt, and they GIVE ME A CHECK.

All of this takes about 15 minutes.

Ephesians 3:20

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #74096
              May 2, 2009
              22872 Posts
              Posted: February 13, 2010, 10:34 am - IP Logged

omg, you can't collect up to $2,500 at a retailer?? I'd be ticked. PA pays up to that amount, no problem. I think too, something does not sound right.

Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #74096
                May 2, 2009
                22872 Posts
                Posted: February 13, 2010, 10:35 am - IP Logged

However it works out for you...

WTG ON YOUR STRAIGHT PICK 4 HIT!! That is AWESOME!!

PartyParty

United States
                  Member #70687
                  February 8, 2009
                  7916 Posts
                  Posted: February 13, 2010, 11:03 am - IP Logged

I doubt they pay that much up front. States seem to be uniform about retailers paying nothing over $600. This is pretty much a tax issue as anything over $600 gets taxed & that is one of the forms they give you to file on the following year's taxes. Of over $5000, they take it out right on the spot.

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
                    Illinois
                    United States
                    Member #82001
                    November 3, 2009
                    890 Posts
                    Posted: February 13, 2010, 11:13 am - IP Logged

Hey LP Family,

Just curious what # did you play.

And i hope someone was kidding about being asked what system they using!?!

Pennsylvania
                      United States
                      Member #74096
                      May 2, 2009
                      22872 Posts
                      Posted: February 13, 2010, 11:17 am - IP Logged

I doubt they pay that much up front. States seem to be uniform about retailers paying nothing over $600. This is pretty much a tax issue as anything over $600 gets taxed & that is one of the forms they give you to file on the following year's taxes. Of over $5000, they take it out right on the spot.

You are right that a person will get a claim form to fill out on anything over $600. As far as paying out anything over $600..you are mistaken.

In PA, the retailers will pay up to $2,500...I've claimed prizes over $600 and up to/including $2,500 and walked away with my cash. I was required

to fill in claim forms for those wins but never have been told that: We can only pay out $600. That is ridiculous. The only times I had to wait was

when I submitted larger tickets over $2,500...then I waited 6 weeks for my checks to be mailed to me.

United States
                        Member #70687
                        February 8, 2009
                        7916 Posts
                        Posted: February 13, 2010, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

Well that is a definite change from NY where a retailer can't cash anything $601 or higher.

United States
                          Member #27050
                          November 26, 2005
                          40272 Posts
                          Posted: February 13, 2010, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

You are right that a person will get a claim form to fill out on anything over $600. As far as paying out anything over $600..you are mistaken.

In PA, the retailers will pay up to $2,500...I've claimed prizes over $600 and up to/including $2,500 and walked away with my cash. I was required

to fill in claim forms for those wins but never have been told that: We can only pay out $600. That is ridiculous. The only times I had to wait was

when I submitted larger tickets over $2,500...then I waited 6 weeks for my checks to be mailed to me.

Hey dr.....it appears that this is a state specific thing.  New Jersey will not honor cash winnings over $599.50 (see my copy/paste from the NJ website).  $2500 is a lot of money to keep around.  Who carries that much cash?  :)

Lep

new jersey
                            United States
                            Member #65466
                            September 27, 2008
                            469 Posts
                            Posted: February 13, 2010, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

Hey LP Family, thanks for all the information, definitely came in handy.  Just left the 7Eleven where I played the number last night.  you where right, they gave me a form to fill out and I have to mail it with the ticket and stub to Trenton.  In 3 weeks I should receive the cash.  I'm happy, I can wait...been playing that 8282 for quite some time.

THanks Calabs!!!!

PartyThank you Family!!!!

I'm going with these pick4's today....good luck to all....2525, 7474, 3131.  I'm loving doubles...

going to play my number now......

new jersey
                              United States
                              Member #65466
                              September 27, 2008
                              469 Posts
                              Posted: February 13, 2010, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

thanks dr65!!!!