Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Pick 4 in New Jersey you have to wait 3 weeks to receive your money!

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 7 years ago by taxijohn.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
motay38's avatar - batman38
new jersey
United States
Member #65466
September 27, 2008
469 Posts
Posted: February 13, 2010, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

Hi Rowen,  8282

New Jersey
    United States
    Member #77101
    July 13, 2009
    7805 Posts
    Posted: February 13, 2010, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

Congratulations on your straight hit!!! Very NiceHyper

The three week period sounds right for NJ - they will check to see if you owe any child support or other payments to the State. 

If so, I believe those monies will be deducted from your payout. 

I would not trust a local lottery retailer to fill out paperwork and send ticket to Trenton,

I would rather drive there myself to ensure the ticket is processed correctly.Lep

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8363 Posts
      Posted: February 13, 2010, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

Hey dr.....it appears that this is a state specific thing.  New Jersey will not honor cash winnings over $599.50 (see my copy/paste from the NJ website).  $2500 is a lot of money to keep around.  Who carries that much cash?  :)

In Maryland we can take a winning pick 4 ticket or tickets to many places that will cash the ticket/s on the spot and some places will even give you free tickets for cashing them in their place of business. As long as your SS number clears the terminals check against you.... meaning if you owe the state any money they wouldn't cash it.

You would then be require to take the tickets to the lottery office.

Calabs i already posted the link to the New Jersey lottery rules for cashing  tickets.

here are the rules.

http://www.state.nj.us/lottery/games/1-4-3_p4_rules.htm

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
        dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #74096
        May 2, 2009
        22947 Posts
        Posted: February 14, 2010, 12:22 am - IP Logged

Hey dr.....it appears that this is a state specific thing.  New Jersey will not honor cash winnings over $599.50 (see my copy/paste from the NJ website).  $2500 is a lot of money to keep around.  Who carries that much cash?  :)

Hi calabs! Wow, I didn't know that some states only paid up to $600...DOH! I guess a lot of what other posters said about *checking* things

makes sense but I've only had to submit my license for the claim form information only. The retailers alway pay tickets up to $2,500 here...it does

depend on whether they have enough cash on hand, otherwise they write a check...and I think in the case of Turkey Hill, give a money order.

The bigger supermarkets are a go for walking in with a slip of paper and walking out with a lot of bills Big Smile The smaller grocery store near me

is good for paying out wins on certain days up to $1,500 cash....but I've already received checks from them when they were low on cash...

that's fine because their bank is my bank. No problem. It does depend on where you go, when you go..mid-morning - early afternoon seem

to be best...and of course how much you have to turn in. If PA would change what they do now, that would be a drag.

calabs's avatar - bass fret.jpg

United States
          Member #27050
          November 26, 2005
          40272 Posts
          Posted: February 14, 2010, 9:18 am - IP Logged

In Maryland we can take a winning pick 4 ticket or tickets to many places that will cash the ticket/s on the spot and some places will even give you free tickets for cashing them in their place of business. As long as your SS number clears the terminals check against you.... meaning if you owe the state any money they wouldn't cash it.

You would then be require to take the tickets to the lottery office.

Calabs i already posted the link to the New Jersey lottery rules for cashing  tickets.

here are the rules.

http://www.state.nj.us/lottery/games/1-4-3_p4_rules.htm

Thanks four4me...!  How did I miss that BIG OLE BLUE LINK when I read your post?!  Sorry for any redundancies.  Embarassed

Lep

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
            Member #81314
            October 16, 2009
            18997 Posts
            Posted: February 14, 2010, 9:48 am - IP Logged

Hello:

Sorry to hear that you have to wait for your money,  ^5 on hitting the pick 4, what were the numbers?  lol

In Missouri, I hit the pick 4, several times last year, str/box, for, $3,250.00 and for, $3, 500.

Here, anything over, $600.01 is taxable , 25%.

I won $3250.00 on the pick 4, had to pay, $895.00 in Federal Tax, and $140 in State.  Look at that, that's $1,000 in taxes, so, to me, I really only won, $2250.00.

So, my theory with playing pick 4, is focus on 1 number, and run it, 5 times. lol,

Anyway, in Missouri, we can go to a local lottery office, submit the ticket, fill out a tax form, and receive a check, that day.

The reason they are making you wait, is, they will run your name, if you owe, taxes, child support, court orders, liens, tickets, state , if you owe anyone, they will allow them to take that money, before they issue you a check, OMG, it's terrible.

Good hit, and I wish you more hits.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mjwinsmith's avatar - moon

United States
              Member #391
              June 8, 2002
              16075 Posts
              Posted: February 14, 2010, 9:51 am - IP Logged

Something doesn't sound right here motay38.  While you DO have to wait for the money (anything over $599.50 I believe) there is a form you can fill out anywhere that sells lottery tickets.  The lottery agent mails in the form with your ticket, and you receive a check in about 3 weeks.  No need to travel to Trenton.  Have you gone to the NJ lottery website for information?

I use to work in the state of New Jersey and hit the Pick-4 there several times. Unless things have changed competely from a few years ago you can get a form to fill out from the Lottery Retailer. You complete the form and send it in with the winning ticket. I would make copies of the ticket and the form for your own records and send it in registered or certified mail.

They do the processing and mail you back a check, it did take a couple of weeks for the check to arrive. The great thing about New Jersey is that there is no tax on the lottery, however I suggest that you have federal taxes withheld so you don't get into a pickle with your Uncle Sam.

If your retailer does'nt have the forms you should be able to downlaod them from the New Jersey Website.

>Michael

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49795 Posts
                Posted: February 14, 2010, 10:01 am - IP Logged

I use to work in the state of New Jersey and hit the Pick-4 there several times. Unless things have changed competely from a few years ago you can get a form to fill out from the Lottery Retailer. You complete the form and send it in with the winning ticket. I would make copies of the ticket and the form for your own records and send it in registered or certified mail.

They do the processing and mail you back a check, it did take a couple of weeks for the check to arrive. The great thing about New Jersey is that there is no tax on the lottery, however I suggest that you have federal taxes withheld so you don't get into a pickle with your Uncle Sam.

If your retailer does'nt have the forms you should be able to downlaod them from the New Jersey Website.

>Michael

FYI: Last year the Governor of NJ made NJ Lottery Winnings Taxable! Thumbs Down

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
                  Member #391
                  June 8, 2002
                  16075 Posts
                  Posted: February 14, 2010, 10:05 am - IP Logged

FYI: Last year the Governor of NJ made NJ Lottery Winnings Taxable! Thumbs Down

Thanks for the info, been a couple of years since I played there. What a bummer, that's what made the win that much better was no State of New Jersey Tax.

United States
                    Member #391
                    June 8, 2002
                    16075 Posts
                    Posted: February 14, 2010, 10:06 am - IP Logged

Hi Rowen,  8282

Oh shoot, that is the number I hit off of years ago, LOL (smile).

>Michael

new jersey
                      United States
                      Member #65466
                      September 27, 2008
                      469 Posts
                      Posted: February 14, 2010, 10:21 am - IP Logged

Thanks Mjwinsmith,

I got the form and it's off in the mail!!!  Thanks to everyone for your help here, it was most appreciated.

Wink

United States
                        Member #391
                        June 8, 2002
                        16075 Posts
                        Posted: February 14, 2010, 10:25 am - IP Logged

Thanks Mjwinsmith,

I got the form and it's off in the mail!!!  Thanks to everyone for your help here, it was most appreciated.

Wink

You are so welcome, and congratulations on your win.

new jersey
                          United States
                          Member #65466
                          September 27, 2008
                          469 Posts
                          Posted: February 14, 2010, 10:47 am - IP Logged

Well dang!!!  i played 8282, i think i might have to start looking into doing that, just can't figure out which is my favorite Wink.  Thank, it was my first str pick4, and i was excited.  Well in 2-3 weeks, I'll have some doe!!!  Thank you and Good Luck to you as well!!!!

Happy Hitting!!!!

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
                            Illinois
                            United States
                            Member #82001
                            November 3, 2009
                            890 Posts
                            Posted: February 14, 2010, 10:54 am - IP Logged

Hello:

Sorry to hear that you have to wait for your money,  ^5 on hitting the pick 4, what were the numbers?  lol

In Missouri, I hit the pick 4, several times last year, str/box, for, $3,250.00 and for, $3, 500.

Here, anything over, $600.01 is taxable , 25%.

I won $3250.00 on the pick 4, had to pay, $895.00 in Federal Tax, and $140 in State.  Look at that, that's $1,000 in taxes, so, to me, I really only won, $2250.00.

So, my theory with playing pick 4, is focus on 1 number, and run it, 5 times. lol,

Anyway, in Missouri, we can go to a local lottery office, submit the ticket, fill out a tax form, and receive a check, that day.

The reason they are making you wait, is, they will run your name, if you owe, taxes, child support, court orders, liens, tickets, state , if you owe anyone, they will allow them to take that money, before they issue you a check, OMG, it's terrible.

Good hit, and I wish you more hits.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah it's so unfair MO has higher payout than IL but congrats Smiley

I totally agreed about loading up on a number. It's rare that you would win anyway so why not make it big. Buying 4 more tixs doesn't really help your odds

taxijohn's avatar - odometer444
                              Dutchess County, New York
                              United States
                              Member #8067
                              October 22, 2004
                              3239 Posts
                              Posted: February 19, 2010, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

When I went to collect recently in NY, I had to wait until the next day but all I did was sign the back of the ticket, print my name and put my ss #. They cut me a check right there and I drove 1 minute away to their bank and cashed it before the state goes totally broke...lol Oh, and they gae me the wonderful w-2 form for uncle sam.

Don't forget to save all of your losing tickets and scratch offs, you can write them off but for not more than your winnings.. Wink

GOD is great, beer is good and people are crazy! Crazy

"I don't look for the numbers, the numbers look for and sometimes find me..."