Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are low numbers or high numbers better with payout?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 7 years ago by TheOtherOne.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
Nashville, TN
United States
Member #86739
February 9, 2010
483 Posts
Posted: February 18, 2010, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

Seems to me more argue that the lower numbers payout better. In my experience, I would lean this way too.

Of course, some rolls have upwards of 300 tickets on them so you then could argue the 'middle' of the roll is better.

What is your experience on this?

United States
    Member #83701
    December 13, 2009
    225 Posts
    Posted: February 20, 2010, 3:48 am - IP Logged

Seems to me more argue that the lower numbers payout better. In my experience, I would lean this way too.

Of course, some rolls have upwards of 300 tickets on them so you then could argue the 'middle' of the roll is better.

On the Texas lottery website, you can view the pdf files of the contract terms with the printers and each alternate pack is printed head to tail with it's neighbors i.e.: each column of tickets in a sheet is a pack and one column would be numbered from the top of the sheet while the next would be from the bottom of the sheet.    This means that there is no effective difference between low number or high number tickets, both low and high number tickets are tickets that were close to the top or bottom edge of the sheet they were printed on.   In the old days, this may have been pertinent as being close to the edge of the stamp meant that it would be easier for an operator to swap out a standard die with a winning die but these days, the game symbols could easily have been printed by an inkjet or laser printer rather than by a printing press so low/high number versus middle numbers aren't as likely to mean as much if the printing machines are fairly modern.

Nashville, TN
      United States
      Member #86739
      February 9, 2010
      483 Posts
      Posted: February 21, 2010, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

I wish I had more capital to do more personal running tests on this subject :)

United States
        Member #83701
        December 13, 2009
        225 Posts
        Posted: February 21, 2010, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

I wish I had more capital to do more personal running tests on this subject :)

What I would like is a tour of the printing facilities and a presentation on how they actually allocate the winning tickets and obfuscate which tickets are which.   It would take too much capital to verify the possibilities and If I had the capital to do any significant tests then I wouldn't be interested in the lottery.

Nashville, TN
          United States
          Member #86739
          February 9, 2010
          483 Posts
          Posted: March 2, 2010, 12:50 am - IP Logged

What I would like is a tour of the printing facilities and a presentation on how they actually allocate the winning tickets and obfuscate which tickets are which.   It would take too much capital to verify the possibilities and If I had the capital to do any significant tests then I wouldn't be interested in the lottery.

Hey good point.

I think the lottery tickets are printed in the US, if not in the state they are sold in, so it would be nice to have the opportunity to check that out.

I wonder if they even offer tours at all.

United States
            Member #83701
            December 13, 2009
            225 Posts
            Posted: March 2, 2010, 1:19 am - IP Logged

Hey good point.

I think the lottery tickets are printed in the US, if not in the state they are sold in, so it would be nice to have the opportunity to check that out.

I wonder if they even offer tours at all.

The two companies that print lottery tickets are both in Atlanta but I doubt they would do tours.   Security is one of their selling points.

cincinnati
              United States
              Member #84674
              January 2, 2010
              66 Posts
              Posted: March 2, 2010, 5:38 am - IP Logged

the 500 dollar winner i bought last night was #159 out of 200 so for me its  been higher numbers #158 was only a 2 dolar winner so it could go either way.

colonia, nj
                United States
                Member #46088
                September 3, 2006
                48 Posts
                Posted: March 12, 2010, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

We had a mega winning scratch several years ago, stolen, and it was the last ticket on the roll 149.  A winning scratch in our township several years ago was the first ticket on the roll 000 or if the agent put the roll in with the 000 on the bottom of the pack, it was still then 149.  A lot of agents now realize the big winner of a larger cost ticket is still the last ticket on the roll and some will take off these premium tickets for their best customers.   We have found winners mid pack too on the under $500.00 amounts.    Tickets are printed in packs of 150 tickets from 000-149 on $2.00 tickets and upwards and on $1.00 ticets there are 300 in pack from 000-299.   Party

Vergie6's avatar - Santa 20kitty.jpg
                  North Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #59855
                  March 29, 2008
                  31549 Posts
                  Posted: March 30, 2010, 11:31 am - IP Logged

I'm beginning to think it doesn't make a difference.  I have won $200 three times with no. 9 on our only $20 card here in NC and have lost a few times with no. 9 too...also won with 000 and lost with it also...bought one and lost so bought the next one 001 and won $100.

I won $500 with no. 15 and have also lost with that no. on the $20 card.

I kept a list of all of the numbers I had won with on $5 cards on up and won & lost with the same numbers so now I don't think it makes much difference which ones you buy.

I have a friend that never asks what the no. is and she wins a lot of times just randomly.

Below is a link to my thread where I have posted pictures of some of my winning cards.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/205381

ohio
                    United States
                    Member #69613
                    January 13, 2009
                    53 Posts
                    Posted: April 15, 2010, 11:05 am - IP Logged

The number on the ticket makes no difference at all. Ive seen a lot of winners on 000 ( first of book ) and a lot of winners on the last ticket. Plenty of winners are found all throughout the book too.

Nashville, TN
                      United States
                      Member #86739
                      February 9, 2010
                      483 Posts
                      Posted: April 17, 2010, 12:53 am - IP Logged

great info Vergie6, thank you for posting!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: April 17, 2010, 2:15 am - IP Logged

Conventional wisdom says that although the odds are 1 in 5 tickets is a winner that there also may be only one winner in a 15 ticket consecutive string, which means as few as two winners in 30 tickets is possible.

That's how my luck goes with scratchers. It makes no difference what ticket number I buy.

If I buy a string of 28 tickets numbered from 2 to 29, the winners will have been number1 and number 30. LOL

That's why I rarely buy them anymore.

Good luck to all you scratcher players though. I hope I didn't jinx you just by being here.

Shake some chicken blood on your front stairs just in case.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Nashville, TN
                          United States
                          Member #86739
                          February 9, 2010
                          483 Posts
                          Posted: April 19, 2010, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

I am with you, rdgrnr. Same exact stuff happens to me.

If it isnt that, it's crooked store clerks getting the better of me (okay, so part of that could just be paranoia, but I have my reasons for thinking it).