Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 11:43 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Buying $20 cards for gift...need advice!

Topic closed. 155 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Vergie6.

Page 1 of 11
PrintE-mailLink
Vergie6's avatar - DSCN5541
North Carolina
United States
Member #59855
March 29, 2008
31945 Posts
Posted: December 15, 2009, 11:59 am - IP Logged

Surprise!   The gift is for myself for Christmas. 

I was going to buy a whole roll of the $20 scratch card we have in NC...we only have one so far but then here's the question...should I just buy a whole roll at one place or do you think my chances for a win would be better if I go from store to store and buy 2 or 3 at each store until 30 cards are bought. 

I have had good luck winning with checking the numbers at the bottom of the card before buying them here lately...the ones from no. 14 until 18 have been winners, but then again I'm sure it won't work every time.

I don't want to think about it too long because I might chicken out and not buy any!Big Grin

Any advice will be appreciated greatly!

mookyb75's avatar - animaniacs41
    nashville nc
    United States
    Member #81934
    November 2, 2009
    657 Posts
    Posted: December 15, 2009, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

I was going to buy a whole roll of the $20 scratch card we have in NC...we only have one so far but then here's the question...should I just buy a whole roll at one place or do you think my chances for a win would be better if I go from store to store and buy 2 or 3 at each store until 30 cards are bought. 

I have had good luck winning with checking the numbers at the bottom of the card before buying them here lately...the ones from no. 14 until 18 have been winners, but then again I'm sure it won't work every time.

I don't want to think about it too long because I might chicken out and not buy any!Big Grin

vergie  mookyb at nc i usually buy 2.00 tickets like 5 at a time it is better to buy from the same roll instead of splitting it up. i did that for the 2.00 tkt and won instant 500.00 so it is a risky chance.... when you become a millionaire think of me Roll

Rainbow 

My mind on my $$$$

North Carolina
      United States
      Member #59855
      March 29, 2008
      31945 Posts
      Posted: December 15, 2009, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

vergie  mookyb at nc i usually buy 2.00 tickets like 5 at a time it is better to buy from the same roll instead of splitting it up. i did that for the 2.00 tkt and won instant 500.00 so it is a risky chance.... when you become a millionaire think of me Roll

Darn, if you won $500 with the $2 cards, just think how many of those I could buy with the money I would spend on $20 cards...may have to re-think what kind I get!Crazy

I know somebody that bought a roll of the $10 cash spectacular and won a $1000 the first time she bought a roll....think that card is not around any longer.

phyl-T rich's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
        Borderline Commonwealth
        United States
        Member #75848
        June 13, 2009
        1868 Posts
        Posted: December 15, 2009, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

I think the roll is a good idea to save time pends on your time.  On the other hand if you do go store to store You might buy at least 10 at each site. may be a better chance to get a winner than 2 or 3.

mookyb75's avatar - animaniacs41
          nashville nc
          United States
          Member #81934
          November 2, 2009
          657 Posts
          Posted: December 15, 2009, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

Darn, if you won $500 with the $2 cards, just think how many of those I could buy with the money I would spend on $20 cards...may have to re-think what kind I get!Crazy

I know somebody that bought a roll of the $10 cash spectacular and won a $1000 the first time she bought a roll....think that card is not around any longer.

vergie go the ncel website find out which ones still have the most top prizes left these are the ones you want to go with. also i have bought  find the 9s 6 of them and won 250.00 on a 1.00 ticket so that is the best advice i can give research to better your odds.

Rainbow 

My mind on my $$$$

grandmadec's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg
            Ohio
            United States
            Member #29819
            January 7, 2006
            1251 Posts
            Posted: December 15, 2009, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

In Ohio a book pays out approximately half of what it costs so I think you have a better chance of making more money by getting tickets from several different books.

Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
              Miami, FLA
              United States
              Member #62793
              July 9, 2008
              680 Posts
              Posted: December 15, 2009, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Like Mookie says, find out what has the most prizes unclaimed first, but I would say buy the whole roll.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

United States
                Member #1630
                June 7, 2003
                6011 Posts
                Posted: December 15, 2009, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

Nice Christmas gift to treat yourself!!!!!! I would think that you might have a better chance buying a whole roll but then again with games of chance like the lottery, you just might want to buy a few at a time.  But I would think that if you bought a whole roll, you would win a nice prize, the roll shouldn't be full of non winning tickets.  Good luck playing and I hope you win alot of money!!!!!!Blue Angel

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
                  Illinois
                  United States
                  Member #82001
                  November 3, 2009
                  890 Posts
                  Posted: December 15, 2009, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

Dunno how far you are from Virginia but there are much better odds there. For a $20 tix, odds on top prize of a million is half of what they are in NC. Just saying

I am doing the same thing with buying bunch of scratchers for Christmas too. Only I bought a whole wide range of tickets from all over the state. I perfer the randomness of it

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: December 16, 2009, 11:19 am - IP Logged

Personally, I would probably buy blocks of ten or so from different locations to avoid the risk of buying one roll with no major winners.                                   

Disclaimer: No guarantees expressed or implied. Nobody in the history of mankind has had worse luck with scratchers than rdgrnr. Consult your psychiatrist before taking this advice. 

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

North Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #59855
                      March 29, 2008
                      31945 Posts
                      Posted: December 16, 2009, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

Well lucky me, I bought one $20 card today when I  bought my p3 tickets and look what I won!...Yippee!Got $200 to go on the cost of a roll for my Christmas present!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                        Member #13130
                        March 30, 2005
                        2171 Posts
                        Posted: December 16, 2009, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

Well lucky me, I bought one $20 card today when I  bought my p3 tickets and look what I won!...Yippee!Got $200 to go on the cost of a roll for my Christmas present!

Eek

Well, that certainly broadens your options. Cheers

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

North Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #59855
                          March 29, 2008
                          31945 Posts
                          Posted: December 16, 2009, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

Eek

Well, that certainly broadens your options. Cheers

Sure does!  I was so tempted to buy another one after I won and I said...nope...gonna save it to buy my Christmas gift...got that goal in mine!

A friend of mine just won $1000 recently and when he e-mailed me a copy of the card....just read it today, the number at the bottom of the card was 9 so when I was buying my p3 tickets for today I asked the lady what the next number at the bottom of the $20 card was and she said 9 and I just knew it was meant for me to buy it so I did...and I'm so happy about it!

Thanks for the Cheers!

Good luck to you!See Ya!

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                            Charlotte NC
                            United States
                            Member #17406
                            June 18, 2005
                            4054 Posts
                            Posted: December 16, 2009, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

vergie go the ncel website find out which ones still have the most top prizes left these are the ones you want to go with. also i have bought  find the 9s 6 of them and won 250.00 on a 1.00 ticket so that is the best advice i can give research to better your odds.

And even that information is dated but better than nothing.  I would go to several stores.

takeemtothebank

four4me's avatar - gate1
                              MD
                              United States
                              Member #1701
                              June 18, 2003
                              8395 Posts
                              Posted: December 16, 2009, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

Sure does!  I was so tempted to buy another one after I won and I said...nope...gonna save it to buy my Christmas gift...got that goal in mine!

A friend of mine just won $1000 recently and when he e-mailed me a copy of the card....just read it today, the number at the bottom of the card was 9 so when I was buying my p3 tickets for today I asked the lady what the next number at the bottom of the $20 card was and she said 9 and I just knew it was meant for me to buy it so I did...and I'm so happy about it!

Thanks for the Cheers!

Good luck to you!See Ya!

I bought the next ticket after you did and won 3 million $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ LOL

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

Page 1 of 11