Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 6:48 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Buying $20 cards for gift...need advice!

Topic closed. 155 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Vergie6.

Page 3 of 11
PrintE-mailLink
Vergie6's avatar - Santa 20kitty.jpg
North Carolina
United States
Member #59855
March 29, 2008
31553 Posts
Posted: December 16, 2009, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

Like Mookie says, find out what has the most prizes unclaimed first, but I would say buy the whole roll.

Sounds like a good idea Nino...think I'll do that!

Thanks!

Talking Rock, GA
    United States
    Member #60369
    April 15, 2008
    398 Posts
    Posted: December 16, 2009, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

My advice to you would be to go with your gut.  Personally, I'd buy a whole roll and hope there's a decent winner, but go with your gut.  Sometimes it's right. Wink

(and congrats on your $200 winner!  Looks sweet with that instant win symbol and those other number matches! Big Grin )

A Gold account on Lottery Post:  $4.95

A Millionaire Jumbo Bucks scratcher:  $20

Airfare and hotel in March 2007 to see The Price Is Right before Bob Barker retired:  $600-something

Winning something to get a trip to a district office:  Priceless Big Grin

North Carolina
      United States
      Member #59855
      March 29, 2008
      31553 Posts
      Posted: December 17, 2009, 12:02 am - IP Logged

My advice to you would be to go with your gut.  Personally, I'd buy a whole roll and hope there's a decent winner, but go with your gut.  Sometimes it's right. Wink

(and congrats on your $200 winner!  Looks sweet with that instant win symbol and those other number matches! Big Grin )

You've got a point there...usually when I go with my gut I don't go wrong most of the time....I really do want a whole roll, but will give it a little more thought!

Thanks!...good luck to you!See Ya!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: December 17, 2009, 12:32 am - IP Logged

Well lucky me, I bought one $20 card today when I  bought my p3 tickets and look what I won!...Yippee!Got $200 to go on the cost of a roll for my Christmas present!

Very cool! Congrats on your win Vergie! Cheers

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

North Carolina
          United States
          Member #59855
          March 29, 2008
          31553 Posts
          Posted: December 17, 2009, 11:40 am - IP Logged

Thanks ThatScaryChick!

Good luck to you today!See Ya!

mookyb75's avatar - animaniacs41
            nashville nc
            United States
            Member #81934
            November 2, 2009
            657 Posts
            Posted: December 17, 2009, 11:44 am - IP Logged

congrats vergie did you buy a roll or one?

Rainbow 

My mind on my $$$$

North Carolina
              United States
              Member #59855
              March 29, 2008
              31553 Posts
              Posted: December 17, 2009, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

congrats vergie did you buy a roll or one?

As I said in an earlier post, I bought one card yesterday on impulse because somebody I know had won $1000 on one with no. 9 at the bottom of the card so when I asked what the no. was at the bottom of the next card and she said 9 something told me to buy it...I don't usually buy the early ones unless it is the no. 0 to 3...sure paid off this time though.

I was very tempted to buy a couple more after winning that but decided not to take a chance on losing it.

I guess you're not reading the back posts here....Big Grin Angel...just joking!

The roll I am thinking of getting is for a Christmas gift to myself and I'm still thinking about it and saving the $200 as part payment....hate to dip into my p3 kitty for the rest of it but may have to if I don't get a win some other way in the next few days.

Oh and still trying to get suggestions from others as to whether it would be best to buy a roll or go from store to store and buy 3 or 4 at the time....trying to see if anyone else has used that strategy and if it paid off for them or not.

nashville nc
                United States
                Member #81934
                November 2, 2009
                657 Posts
                Posted: December 17, 2009, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

As I said in an earlier post, I bought one card yesterday on impulse because somebody I know had won $1000 on one with no. 9 at the bottom of the card so when I asked what the no. was at the bottom of the next card and she said 9 something told me to buy it...I don't usually buy the early ones unless it is the no. 0 to 3...sure paid off this time though.

I was very tempted to buy a couple more after winning that but decided not to take a chance on losing it.

I guess you're not reading the back posts here....Big Grin Angel...just joking!

The roll I am thinking of getting is for a Christmas gift to myself and I'm still thinking about it and saving the $200 as part payment....hate to dip into my p3 kitty for the rest of it but may have to if I don't get a win some other way in the next few days.

Oh and still trying to get suggestions from others as to whether it would be best to buy a roll or go from store to store and buy 3 or 4 at the time....trying to see if anyone else has used that strategy and if it paid off for them or not.

actually i didn't i only read back post when something catch my attention i only saw you had won and wanted to send congrats to you

Rainbow 

My mind on my $$$$

North Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #59855
                  March 29, 2008
                  31553 Posts
                  Posted: December 17, 2009, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

actually i didn't i only read back post when something catch my attention i only saw you had won and wanted to send congrats to you

Ok thanks...was just explaining about when I'm going to buy the roll if I don't chicken out...that was what you asked me about if I bought one or a roll yet...Big Grin Angel

I have a bad habit when I'm posting or talking by going into too much detail...Crazy...should keep it short and sweet....got to learn how to do that.

United States
                    United States
                    Member #60097
                    April 5, 2008
                    3958 Posts
                    Posted: December 17, 2009, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

I have learned alot from watching your videos and reading your blogs over the years, buying the whole roll would be the last thing I would do.  World Class Millions  was a disaster.  In contrast, I have seen some big 500 dollar winners you posted, with the strategy of only buying a few out of a roll, rather than the whole roll..............

That Extreme Green (and Millionaire Mania) was a nice winner btw; congratulations on that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-zWxx4Tywc&feature=related

This link here is much better; I see some monster winners here that I assume were achieved by using a different strategy:

http://blogs.lotterypost.com/sorensonfan41/

Hope you, Vergie, and all the others here get a nice win,

KeystoneParty

babyhot's avatar - nw femalewiz.jpg
                      goldsboro
                      United States
                      Member #66887
                      November 9, 2008
                      1782 Posts
                      Posted: December 17, 2009, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

I have learned alot from watching your videos and reading your blogs over the years, buying the whole roll would be the last thing I would do.  World Class Millions  was a disaster.  In contrast, I have seen some big 500 dollar winners you posted, with the strategy of only buying a few out of a roll, rather than the whole roll..............

That Extreme Green (and Millionaire Mania) was a nice winner btw; congratulations on that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-zWxx4Tywc&feature=related

This link here is much better; I see some monster winners here that I assume were achieved by using a different strategy:

http://blogs.lotterypost.com/sorensonfan41/

Hope you, Vergie, and all the others here get a nice win,

KeystoneParty

hi keystone i just got a 20 card and the # was 001 win 25 on it turn aroung and got # 2 and win 100 on it  go vergie6 because i am going to buy another one but i dont buy a whole roll i go differ store,, good luck to all today ,,,,, let win some more money ioday play 317 179 956 526 333 777 good luck...

good luck to all

United States
                        Member #1630
                        June 7, 2003
                        6011 Posts
                        Posted: December 17, 2009, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

hi keystone i just got a 20 card and the # was 001 win 25 on it turn aroung and got # 2 and win 100 on it  go vergie6 because i am going to buy another one but i dont buy a whole roll i go differ store,, good luck to all today ,,,,, let win some more money ioday play 317 179 956 526 333 777 good luck...

Congratulations Babyhot, I think now by reading the different posts from all winners that it is better to buy one at a time versus buying the whole roll!!!  I am going to try it, right now I buy a dollar ticket here and there but I haven't won anything yet.

United States
                          Member #1630
                          June 7, 2003
                          6011 Posts
                          Posted: December 17, 2009, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

One more reason to not scratch in public. Jester

I don't scratch in public, I scratch my tickets at home so I can enjoy it, then if I win alot on the ticket, I sign it and copy it right away and then go collect my winnings!!!!! Big Grin Santa

United States
                            Member #83701
                            December 13, 2009
                            225 Posts
                            Posted: December 17, 2009, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

Surprise!   The gift is for myself for Christmas. 

I was going to buy a whole roll of the $20 scratch card we have in NC...we only have one so far but then here's the question...should I just buy a whole roll at one place or do you think my chances for a win would be better if I go from store to store and buy 2 or 3 at each store until 30 cards are bought. 

I have had good luck winning with checking the numbers at the bottom of the card before buying them here lately...the ones from no. 14 until 18 have been winners, but then again I'm sure it won't work every time.

I don't want to think about it too long because I might chicken out and not buy any!Big Grin

Any advice will be appreciated greatly!

You'll be better off buying the tickets from multiple locations so that they are all from different packs.   Think of how the packs might be printed, they are columns on large sheets that are folded and then cut.   Most of the packs only have enough prizes to meet the minimum prize guarantee.    The contract would have requirements such as no consecutive non-winning ticket be symbol for symbol identical so they actually don't have to print all possible combinations in a pack, just enough variations to meet the contract so there's probably only a handful of stamps for the non-winning tickets in order to save money.   The higher value prizes would be printed on selected presses in smaller runs and perhaps with stricter quality control procedures.   If you just buy from one pack, it's probably just an ordinary pack with a few low value prizes in it and there probably isn't a chance of hitting a substantial prize but if you buy from multiple packs, then it's still possible to hit a substantial prize.

The theory behind the lower and higher numbers being more likely to have prizes are based on that stamp plates are more easily changed if near the edge of a stamp but keep in mind that computers have changed the world of instant win games tremendously.   With inkjet and laser technology there's no longer a need for separate prodcution runs of hot packs or for the prizes to be positioned strategically within a pack.   However, the math is still that most packs won't have a substantial prize so you're better off buying from more packs then one whole roll.

nashville nc
                              United States
                              Member #81934
                              November 2, 2009
                              657 Posts
                              Posted: December 17, 2009, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

I don't scratch in public, I scratch my tickets at home so I can enjoy it, then if I win alot on the ticket, I sign it and copy it right away and then go collect my winnings!!!!! Big Grin Santa

cool i posted that i won 500 on a 2.00 tkt i usually buy 5 most of the time i win something in 5 20.00 tks are just too expensive i usually look for the ones that still have alot of prizes remaining on them like the mega bucks a 5.00 tks still have lots of prizes mostly top prizes left but they are harder to hit nc announced in stores a new 5.00 and 10.00 tkt comming out i;ll play as long as they are new when they get cold or if i don't win i usually go to another one..

Rainbow 

My mind on my $$$$

Page 3 of 11