Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Buying $20 cards for gift...need advice!

Topic closed. 155 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Vergie6.

Page 4 of 11
PrintE-mailLink
Vergie6's avatar - Santa 20kitty.jpg
North Carolina
United States
Member #59855
March 29, 2008
31553 Posts
Posted: December 17, 2009, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

hi keystone i just got a 20 card and the # was 001 win 25 on it turn aroung and got # 2 and win 100 on it  go vergie6 because i am going to buy another one but i dont buy a whole roll i go differ store,, good luck to all today ,,,,, let win some more money ioday play 317 179 956 526 333 777 good luck...

Yes, I think that might be the way to go because I spoke to somebody today and they said they bought a roll and only got half of the  money back so don't want to chance that but deep down in my little heart I do want a roll...Crazy

North Carolina
    United States
    Member #59855
    March 29, 2008
    31553 Posts
    Posted: December 17, 2009, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

You'll be better off buying the tickets from multiple locations so that they are all from different packs.   Think of how the packs might be printed, they are columns on large sheets that are folded and then cut.   Most of the packs only have enough prizes to meet the minimum prize guarantee.    The contract would have requirements such as no consecutive non-winning ticket be symbol for symbol identical so they actually don't have to print all possible combinations in a pack, just enough variations to meet the contract so there's probably only a handful of stamps for the non-winning tickets in order to save money.   The higher value prizes would be printed on selected presses in smaller runs and perhaps with stricter quality control procedures.   If you just buy from one pack, it's probably just an ordinary pack with a few low value prizes in it and there probably isn't a chance of hitting a substantial prize but if you buy from multiple packs, then it's still possible to hit a substantial prize.

The theory behind the lower and higher numbers being more likely to have prizes are based on that stamp plates are more easily changed if near the edge of a stamp but keep in mind that computers have changed the world of instant win games tremendously.   With inkjet and laser technology there's no longer a need for separate prodcution runs of hot packs or for the prizes to be positioned strategically within a pack.   However, the math is still that most packs won't have a substantial prize so you're better off buying from more packs then one whole roll.

Thanks Jwhou, very interesting!

North Carolina
      United States
      Member #59855
      March 29, 2008
      31553 Posts
      Posted: December 17, 2009, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

My advice to you would be to go with your gut.  Personally, I'd buy a whole roll and hope there's a decent winner, but go with your gut.  Sometimes it's right. Wink

(and congrats on your $200 winner!  Looks sweet with that instant win symbol and those other number matches! Big Grin )

Sorensonfan41, I watched some of your videos today and they're great!

Thanks again for the Congrats!

Good luck to you!See Ya!

North Carolina
        United States
        Member #59855
        March 29, 2008
        31553 Posts
        Posted: December 18, 2009, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

Well I tested the waters a little bit yesterday and today...bought no. 25 in the $20 card yesterday and won $20 so got my money back.

Today I bought no. 18 and won $20 so got my money back again...was very lucky I didn't lose it on those two.

No need to post a pic of them...will wait until another big one.

United States
          Member #1630
          June 7, 2003
          6011 Posts
          Posted: December 19, 2009, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

cool i posted that i won 500 on a 2.00 tkt i usually buy 5 most of the time i win something in 5 20.00 tks are just too expensive i usually look for the ones that still have alot of prizes remaining on them like the mega bucks a 5.00 tks still have lots of prizes mostly top prizes left but they are harder to hit nc announced in stores a new 5.00 and 10.00 tkt comming out i;ll play as long as they are new when they get cold or if i don't win i usually go to another one..

That was good that you won $500.00 and bought a $2 ticket, I agree, unless you have alot of money, I would rather buy 5 of the $2.00 tickets for $10.00 rather than 5 of the $20.00 for $100.00.  With my luck with the scratch tickets, the NCEL would eat my money quick LOL!!!!Jester Laugh and then I would be Crying

United States
            Member #1630
            June 7, 2003
            6011 Posts
            Posted: December 19, 2009, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

Well I tested the waters a little bit yesterday and today...bought no. 25 in the $20 card yesterday and won $20 so got my money back.

Today I bought no. 18 and won $20 so got my money back again...was very lucky I didn't lose it on those two.

No need to post a pic of them...will wait until another big one.

That was good Vergie, at least you got your money back!!! When I buy tickets here in NC, for a dollar I have never won anything more than one dollar!!!! I think the real prizes are on the $20.00 where you spend more money.  But I would hate to spend $50.00 or $100.00 and not win anything, I rather buy groceries or gas instead.

Angel19's avatar - disney25
              nashville n.c.
              United States
              Member #78433
              August 14, 2009
              1547 Posts
              Posted: December 19, 2009, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

Well lucky me, I bought one $20 card today when I  bought my p3 tickets and look what I won!...Yippee!Got $200 to go on the cost of a roll for my Christmas present!

WOW.....CONGRATS VERGIE6...NOW THATS A NICE HUNK OF CHANGE...LOLHurray!

North Carolina
                United States
                Member #59855
                March 29, 2008
                31553 Posts
                Posted: December 20, 2009, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

That was good Vergie, at least you got your money back!!! When I buy tickets here in NC, for a dollar I have never won anything more than one dollar!!!! I think the real prizes are on the $20.00 where you spend more money.  But I would hate to spend $50.00 or $100.00 and not win anything, I rather buy groceries or gas instead.

Yes I was lucky to at least get my money back...I have to really want the card bad to pay $20 for it so still am thinking if I really want to buy a whole roll or not but will probably do it just this one time.

You got that right about buying groceries or gas with it but if you win you can buy a lot more groceries and gas like with the $200 win...I bought more Christmas presents and still have some left...oh and I did fill up my car tank with gas...Big Grin Angel

North Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #59855
                  March 29, 2008
                  31553 Posts
                  Posted: December 20, 2009, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

WOW.....CONGRATS VERGIE6...NOW THATS A NICE HUNK OF CHANGE...LOLHurray!

Thanks Angel!...good luck to you with p3 tonight and if you buy any scratchers I hope you win really big!See Ya!

United States
                    Member #1630
                    June 7, 2003
                    6011 Posts
                    Posted: December 21, 2009, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

I haven't had any luck with the scratchers in NC but maybe I need to buy the $2.00 and $3.00 ones instead of just the dollar ones.  I haven't won anything buying the dollar ones at all.  I might try to buy a few tommorrow.

North Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #59855
                      March 29, 2008
                      31553 Posts
                      Posted: December 22, 2009, 10:10 am - IP Logged

I haven't had any luck with the scratchers in NC but maybe I need to buy the $2.00 and $3.00 ones instead of just the dollar ones.  I haven't won anything buying the dollar ones at all.  I might try to buy a few tommorrow.

Good luck to you Coolmoney!

I bought some more $20 cards one at the time at different stores and here are the results.

Card no. 18....nothing

Card no. 18...$25

Card no. 22...$25 & the weird thing was the matching no. was also 22.  This one was bought out of a machine at Foodlion.

Card no. 9....this time nothing...last time as posted a pic. was $200.

Card no. 14..nothing

SO I have wasted $60 that was to go on a whole roll for my Christmas gift.

I found out that the cost of a whole roll is $600 and not $300 as I was told before because there are 30 on a roll instead of 15.

A man told a clerk at Sheetz he bought a whole roll of some kind of card...cant remember if he said it was the $20 card or not but he said he scratched all of then off and was winning absolutely nothing and had a sick feeling in his tummy and got to the last 2 on the roll and won $500 on each one but he said even with that win he would never buy another roll because the anxiety was so bad for him up until the end. 

North Carolina
                        United States
                        Member #59855
                        March 29, 2008
                        31553 Posts
                        Posted: December 22, 2009, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

Well I did it today! 

Bought my first ever roll of scratch cards,but chickened out on spending $600 on a roll of $20 ones...got a roll of $10 ones for $300. 

I got the $500,000 Jackpot card.  I will post about how I fared after Christmas!  I bought the roll at the lottery claims office.

Actually I spent $320 because the next number of the $20 card was 9 so I bought it and got my $20 back...at least I didn't lose it.

Wish me luck please!

Thank you!

United States
                          Member #1630
                          June 7, 2003
                          6011 Posts
                          Posted: December 25, 2009, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

I got some scratch off tickets for Christmas, my father bought me $15.00 and I bought him $2.00.   They were mostly $1.00 and $2.00 tickets.  I got a DOLLAR back on the one I bought him and THAT WAS IT lol!!!!! The NCEL is a trip, those $1.00 and $2.00 tickets don't pay hardly anything at all!!!!!

I hope you did better with your tickets than I did Vergie LOL!!!! Good Luck 

United States
                            Member #1630
                            June 7, 2003
                            6011 Posts
                            Posted: December 25, 2009, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

Good luck to you Coolmoney!

I bought some more $20 cards one at the time at different stores and here are the results.

Card no. 18....nothing

Card no. 18...$25

Card no. 22...$25 & the weird thing was the matching no. was also 22.  This one was bought out of a machine at Foodlion.

Card no. 9....this time nothing...last time as posted a pic. was $200.

Card no. 14..nothing

SO I have wasted $60 that was to go on a whole roll for my Christmas gift.

I found out that the cost of a whole roll is $600 and not $300 as I was told before because there are 30 on a roll instead of 15.

A man told a clerk at Sheetz he bought a whole roll of some kind of card...cant remember if he said it was the $20 card or not but he said he scratched all of then off and was winning absolutely nothing and had a sick feeling in his tummy and got to the last 2 on the roll and won $500 on each one but he said even with that win he would never buy another roll because the anxiety was so bad for him up until the end. 

Vergie, it sounds like you are doing pretty good with your scratch tickets, you spent $60.00 but won back $50.00 so you only lost $10.00, not $60.00, so that isn't too bad.  I guess the more you spend on the lottery tickets, the more that you win because it seems like the $20.00 tickets pay more back.  Good luck to you on your scratch off tickets, I hope you win BIG!!!!!!Big Grin Santa

North Carolina
                              United States
                              Member #59855
                              March 29, 2008
                              31553 Posts
                              Posted: December 25, 2009, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

Vergie, it sounds like you are doing pretty good with your scratch tickets, you spent $60.00 but won back $50.00 so you only lost $10.00, not $60.00, so that isn't too bad.  I guess the more you spend on the lottery tickets, the more that you win because it seems like the $20.00 tickets pay more back.  Good luck to you on your scratch off tickets, I hope you win BIG!!!!!!Big Grin Santa

Well the $10 roll I bought I did not do too good...won only half of the money back...will never buy another whole roll ever but with my p3 wins and a few other wins I'm not in the hole...here is a picture of the cards I ended up winning $38 on dollar cards with buying $20 worth from a present from my daughter she sent for the cats to buy for me...Big Grin...look at that $25 win on the Diamond Dash dollar card...what a shocker!

From left to right looking at the pic the wins are Triple win...$1, Wild 7's...$5, had the wild 7 on bottom row (you can't see it), Tic Tac, $1, Diamond Dash, $25, Tic Tac, $1, & Aces & 8's, $5..so in all won $38 and spent $20...almost doubled the cats Christmas present...Big Grin

Page 4 of 11