Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 2:39 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won the lottery, would you pull a "Tiger Woods?"

Topic closed. 63 replies. Last post 7 years ago by joshuacloak.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Northern Ohio
United States
Member #63551
August 1, 2008
203 Posts
Posted: February 23, 2010, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

By "lottery" I mean a big jackpot. By a "Tiger Woods," well, for those who don't follow sports I'll clarify: suppose people will find out and members of the opposite sex (and some of the same sex) will be all over you; would you take advantage of this?

You gotta suppose-no "I wouldn't tell anybody" copouts; pretend it somehow gets out.

Go!

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
    Texas
    United States
    Member #86154
    January 30, 2010
    1654 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2010, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

By "lottery" I mean a big jackpot. By a "Tiger Woods," well, for those who don't follow sports I'll clarify: suppose people will find out and members of the opposite sex (and some of the same sex) will be all over you; would you take advantage of this?

You gotta suppose-no "I wouldn't tell anybody" copouts; pretend it somehow gets out.

Go!

Hi Jim. Until one is in that position, they'll never know what they'd do and this is the absolute truth. It happens with big names in politics as well as professional sports EVERY SINGLE DAY but, not all of then get CAUGHT...at least not immediately. CAUGHT is the operative word here. The big boys in congress have "toys" on the side and if you don't believe it, then you're being very naive. If it weren't true, they wouldn't be getting caught from time to time which means they were doing it all along.

One person shouldn't be frowned on any more than the other for the same shortcoming but, it just doesn't work that way. If I won the Powerball then went out and cheated on my girlfriend, it would never make the news because I'M A NOBODY, yet I'm still human. Well, guess what? So are celebrities, congressmen, congresswomen, and athletes.

If I did it and it got out, I'd just have to deal with it and accept responsibility of what happens next. WE ALL HAVE OUR FAULTS is what I'm saying here and this isn't the last time we'll see a big name exposed for such things. Believe it.

L.L.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      3315 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2010, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

yeah i would be a little scared id run amok. its one reason taking an annuity might be a better optin for me. who can say i hope i wouldnt but i know myself. I am easily led astray.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        CA
        United States
        Member #57222
        December 23, 2007
        587 Posts
        Posted: February 23, 2010, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

Sorry there is no amount of money in the world that would make me  do something as stupic as what TW did.  somethings I believe you can say without a doubt you would NOT.  Can I say that I would NEVER kill someone? No because there may be a circumstance where my life or my husbands life is the alternative.  But cheating on my husband, never.  That is a choice, not life or death and there is no viable reason for it.

I always gave myself the question would i divorce my husband for ten million dollars.  Sure  i would, but  that just would mean i'd be living with my EX husband in sin forever and ever, financially secure.  but if the question were posed would I vow to never see him again for the same amount,  then I would tell them to take a flying leap. 

The best things in life are free.  A good man is hard to find.  God blessed me with one and nothing would make me hurt him or my marriage,  Shame on TW.

Northern Ohio
          United States
          Member #63551
          August 1, 2008
          203 Posts
          Posted: February 23, 2010, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

You guys make some good points.

What Tiger did was dumb-if not from a moral perspective, then from a financial one.

To answer my own question-I'd take full advantage of it but also within reason; I'd be safe. Of course, I have no wife or sigificiant other at the moment, so it makes my decision somewhat less complicated.

Furthermore, I'd also add that I would NEVER get married if I won the lottery. Just too much can go wrong and I just have so little faith in humanity that if I won, no woman could be trusted. (Women, don't take this the wrong way; if I were a woman, I would not trust a man after winning the lottery)

United States
            Member #868
            November 19, 2002
            513 Posts
            Posted: February 23, 2010, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

How sad that the previous comments made to this post are so judgemental. Tiger Woods is not the first man to cheat on his wife ..nor will he be the last.

Since none of you are millionaires...how do you know what you would do? ...hmmmm...of    Like my daddy used to say..before you accuse someone..you better take a look at yourself

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23348 Posts
              Posted: February 23, 2010, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

How sad that the previous comments made to this post are so judgemental. Tiger Woods is not the first man to cheat on his wife ..nor will he be the last.

Since none of you are millionaires...how do you know what you would do? ...hmmmm...of    Like my daddy used to say..before you accuse someone..you better take a look at yourself

I think the point is that there has never been such a spectatular and rapid downfall in all of history.  Going from the world's only $1 billion athelete to a despised lout in ONE DAY is unprecidented.

By the way, I don't think Tiger needs much help, and there's really no need to reflexively defend him.  His hundreds of millions in the bank and huge staff can keep him quite comfortable for the rest of his life.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Texas
                United States
                Member #86154
                January 30, 2010
                1654 Posts
                Posted: February 23, 2010, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

I think the point is that there has never been such a spectatular and rapid downfall in all of history.  Going from the world's only $1 billion athelete to a despised lout in ONE DAY is unprecidented.

By the way, I don't think Tiger needs much help, and there's really no need to reflexively defend him.  His hundreds of millions in the bank and huge staff can keep him quite comfortable for the rest of his life.

There have, in fact, been many rapid downfalls in history in one only does research. Let us examine the world best swimmer that was exposed for drugs...this sets a much worse example in terms of kids that look up to athletes. You never here parents telling their kids not to cheat on their girlfriend or boyfriend.

But, they stress on them STAYING AWAY FROM DRUGS. Let's keep it fair.

L.L.

United States
                  Member #868
                  November 19, 2002
                  513 Posts
                  Posted: February 23, 2010, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

Wow Todd...its amazing that I state my opinion which is against theirs and you rush to correct me? I said what I meant to say. I understood the point quite well...I also understood that Tiger Woods was unfairly criticized. I would expect for you to be fair.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                    Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #56506
                    November 21, 2007
                    6537 Posts
                    Posted: February 23, 2010, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

Sorry there is no amount of money in the world that would make me  do something as stupic as what TW did.  somethings I believe you can say without a doubt you would NOT.  Can I say that I would NEVER kill someone? No because there may be a circumstance where my life or my husbands life is the alternative.  But cheating on my husband, never.  That is a choice, not life or death and there is no viable reason for it.

I always gave myself the question would i divorce my husband for ten million dollars.  Sure  i would, but  that just would mean i'd be living with my EX husband in sin forever and ever, financially secure.  but if the question were posed would I vow to never see him again for the same amount,  then I would tell them to take a flying leap. 

The best things in life are free.  A good man is hard to find.  God blessed me with one and nothing would make me hurt him or my marriage,  Shame on TW.

I agree with your post lottocalgal. I can honestly say that I would not cheat whether I have millions of dollars or not. I'm not married at the moment, but when I am in a relationship, I have respect for my partner. I know myself and I know what I believe in and I know for a fact, that I would not cheat just because I came into a large sum of money.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19894 Posts
                      Posted: February 23, 2010, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

Go!

"members of the opposite sex (and some of the same sex) will be all over you; would you take advantage of this?"

If I'm the one with the money, who taking advantage of who?   I wonder if that woman who befriended Abraham Shakespeare in Florida after he won a lottery jackpot and arranged his murder felt she was being taking advantage of as she stoled his money.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                        Member #13130
                        March 30, 2005
                        2171 Posts
                        Posted: February 23, 2010, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

Go!

There's no such plan on my desk.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Northern Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #63551
                          August 1, 2008
                          203 Posts
                          Posted: February 23, 2010, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

Let's ask the further question: what if you had no significant other?

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                            Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #56506
                            November 21, 2007
                            6537 Posts
                            Posted: February 23, 2010, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

Some of us don't need millions of dollars to know what we would do or how we would act. It's called having morals and having respect for the ones that we love. I was brought up that way. And I can honestly look at myself in the mirror and feel just fine thanks. Smiley

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Texas
                              United States
                              Member #86154
                              January 30, 2010
                              1654 Posts
                              Posted: February 23, 2010, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

"members of the opposite sex (and some of the same sex) will be all over you; would you take advantage of this?"

If I'm the one with the money, who taking advantage of who?   I wonder if that woman who befriended Abraham Shakespeare in Florida after he won a lottery jackpot and arranged his murder felt she was being taking advantage of as she stoled his money.

You make a very good point here. If you have nothing then you're no target for such corruption and likely not to encounter the opposite sex in multitudes as stars do. Hey, it's tough out there and everyone cannot withstand the same amount of temptation. RJOH, if you won the Mega or Powerball, you can bet your life on it that you'd have more come on's from the opposite sex than you know what to do with.

True, it's all up to you how well you deal with it or ward it off if you have a wife or girlfriend...it's your business and your fate. No, it's not right to cheat. But, it's also wrong to condemn. The right thing to do is forgive and move on to make things better. Good post, dude. 

HE THAT IS WITHOUT SIN...LET HIM CAST THE FIRST STONE...

L.L.