Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

LP Users favor Win XP over Vista and IE 8 over Firefox-why?

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 7 years ago by markp1950.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Fibonacci's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
New York, NY
United States
Member #39471
May 16, 2006
2696 Posts
Posted: March 10, 2010, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

LP Users favor Win XP over Vista 2 to 1 and IE 8 over Firefox by a nearly 6:1 factor.

So LP users favor IE!

And how should we interpret the XP-philia? LP users still using old computers and perhaps behind the curve? Or LP users smart enough to dump the junk that is Vista?

$$$

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8363 Posts
    Posted: March 10, 2010, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

I actually have IE8 but aol doesn't show it as such it shows it as xp when i sign on using aol.. But when i use internet explorer it shows IE8 go figure. So some of your calculations might be misleading depending from where a person signs on and which provider they are using.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
      DFW, Texas
      United States
      Member #78628
      August 18, 2009
      134 Posts
      Posted: March 10, 2010, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

I now use Windows 7.  I needed a new computer because my old XP machine's 80 GB hard drive was getting filled up.  I had used Vista on a friend's laptop and knew I didn't like it, so I waited until Windows 7 came out.  I gambled that MS would make something better after the Vista disaster, and it seems to have paid off.  W7 is doing quite well for me.

I like Windows 7 even though I tend to dislike change.  I use Firefox 3 now, but that only happened recently.  I used Firefox 2 for a long time, and even programmed it to lie and identify itself as FF3 because one site stopped allowing FF2 access.  I finally figured out how to modify FF3 to make it similar enough to the previous version that I can tolerate it.  I hate IE.  I've used Firefox since before version 1 (when it was version 0.x).

I suspect that most members here don't use their computers for resource-heavy programs.  I got a new computer because I needed a bigger hard drive and the newer browser, IM software, and other programs take longer to load.  My new computer is much faster, but the old one wasn't unbearably slow.  I suspect that most members here aren't using programs that make them wait excessively when using older computers, so they see no need to upgrade.  Also, I suspect that older, or less computer-literate, people tend to use IE because it's included with a Windows computer.  Since it's there, they just use it.

Of course, some members use programs that go over potential lottery numbers, and they may want a faster computer.

And then some people may spend too much money on lottery tickets and not have enough left over for a newer computer  Wink

Taipanez's avatar - starwars06
        Missouri
        United States
        Member #88099
        March 9, 2010
        27 Posts
        Posted: March 10, 2010, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

LP Users favor Win XP over Vista 2 to 1 and IE 8 over Firefox by a nearly 6:1 factor.

So LP users favor IE!

And how should we interpret the XP-philia? LP users still using old computers and perhaps behind the curve? Or LP users smart enough to dump the junk that is Vista?

I guess im in the minority that use Firefox. It's probably more out of habit than knowing if it is better or worse, after using it for so long i can tick along at what im doing without thinking on Firefox.

I've actually had Vista and didn't enjoy it at all although i have tried 7 out and it seems more my style, it's really all my personel preference.

Also love the name, our gifted students teacher had the Fibonacci sequence of numbers wrapped around his room as an outline and i would always sit in class and write out those numbers when i was bored.

Dawn32's avatar - DawnMarch2012
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #71646
          March 1, 2009
          204 Posts
          Posted: March 10, 2010, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

I use Firefox, it's faster than IE.  I also use Windows XP on my desktop, but my laptop has Windows 7.  I thought Firefox was the preferred?

"Bless me Lord, so that I may be a blessing to others."

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
            Connecticut
            United States
            Member #61623
            May 29, 2008
            20581 Posts
            Posted: March 10, 2010, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

I use opera I.E 8 is a hog....I have a 4 year old computer that I keep barebones all around meaning no useless junk and software lingering.I've searched high and low asto why explorer takes an eternity and still can't find an answer.All I know is if this site solely accepted Explorer users, I'd be packing my bags and finding another site to hang out.

God bless anyone to has a quick IE browser..it's a rare find

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
              Harbinger
              D.C./MD.
              United States
              Member #44103
              July 30, 2006
              5583 Posts
              Posted: March 10, 2010, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

One of my quirks is this,  if ain't broke don't fix it..........   There are SO MANY uneccessarily discarded computers that it has created a environmental problem and a huge refurb/recycled computer business.  95% of computer slowdowns are caused by the user not understanding the device.   You should see some of the machines I get................brand new laptops.........with trogans, malware, no updates....... running slower than WIN 98 w/ Netscape on dial-up or not even being able to boot!  Make sure you haven't been hijacked,  I got one Saturday that was re-directing to a proxy server!

New York, NY
                United States
                Member #39471
                May 16, 2006
                2696 Posts
                Posted: March 10, 2010, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

By the way I got the stats from the Who's Online link from the Resources menu on the blue bar above.

$$$

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8363 Posts
                  Posted: March 10, 2010, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

By the way I got the stats from the Who's Online link from the Resources menu on the blue bar above.

And i tried to explain your information might be wrong because aol'ers might display using xp when in fact they have something else.

I think Aol defaults to whatever browser they had when they downloaded a newer version of aol from an existing version. Unless they bought a newer PC. Who knows aol might be slacking in their recognition software package.

On this pc right now it shows i am using  ie7.0 aol9.0 win xp.

If i come to lottery post from internet explorer the information changes. to  ie8.0 win xp

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                    Baton Rouge, LA
                    United States
                    Member #4602
                    May 7, 2004
                    699 Posts
                    Posted: March 10, 2010, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

I use Firefox, it's faster than IE.  I also use Windows XP on my desktop, but my laptop has Windows 7.  I thought Firefox was the preferred?

I also use Firefox with Windows XP on my desktop and laptop.  My desktop is actually somewhat old, it's an AMD Sempron 2300, 1.583GHZ processor.  My laptop is a 2.8GHZ refurbished Dell and it also runs XP.

I like Firefox because it runs better than IE.  Opera is pretty good as well.  I only run IE occasionally when I find a site that doesn't like the alternative browsers, but again, only as a last resort.  I'll even try Safari or an old copy of Netscape before switching to IE.

I also occasionally boot into Ubuntu Linux and browse the web using Firefox there too.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
                      Pittsburg, Ks
                      United States
                      Member #3382
                      January 17, 2004
                      80985 Posts
                      Posted: March 11, 2010, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

I don't know what browser I am using. But BrowserInfo here at LP I found a list

Your Browser User Agent String is Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; yie8)

I have only heard of 2 these browsers listed Mozilla and IE8 which I get a pop-up of every day

whichever one it is it gets me to where I want to go

God Bless America

US Flag

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                        Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23274 Posts
                        Posted: March 11, 2010, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

Just adding a few comments — because I like to dispell myths and educate on the topic.  Obviously, as the developer of this site, this topic is of primary importance to me.  (What my visitors are using on their computers.)

In no particular order:

• More and more people are becoming technically-proficient these days, but the fact is that this web site caters to "everyday folks", not "gearheads".  (Gearhead is a term of endearment, as I consider myself one!)  Everyday folks tend to care much less about having the latest technology on their computers, and care more about the content of the Web sites they visit.  So you're not going to find a large percentage of people using Lynux, the latest Windows OS, the latest browser versions, etc.  And you're also going to find a lot more people using Microsoft Windows Explorer, because it comes pre-installed on their PCs.  Many people don't experiment with installing other browsers because they don't want to "break" anything on their PC.  Even getting people upgraded to the latest version of IE can be a difficult prospect.
                        • The majority of people out there only upgrade their OS (for example, to Windows 7) as part of a new computer purchase.  Most people don't have the knowledge or desire to upgrade their OS.  This is not just Lottery Post users -- this is true about the majority of all computer users, not matter what web sites they visit.
                        • So, regarding the subject of this forum topic ("LP Users favor Win XP over Vista and IE 8 over Firefox-why?"), it is not a matter of "choice" for most people.  They have something installed that works for them, and until something they really want to use won't work on their computer, they probably won't change.
                        • A huge amount of Internet traffic -- and usage at Lottery Post -- is done from work.  Businesses tend to be very slow in upgrading all their worker's computers, so they will tend to have old browsers like IE6 or IE7, and they will tend to use Windows XP.  If you look at the OS/Browser mix on the weekends vs. during the week, you will see a much higher percentage of Vista and Win 7 users on the weekend, because most people are at home.  Home PCs tend to be upgraded sooner than work PCs.  (Doesn't everyone complain about their PC at work?)

With all that being said, a few recommendations:

• Internet Explorer version 8 (not IE7 or IE6) is a good browser that will work well on most Web sites, and certainly on Lottery Post too.  More importantly, IE8 is a very secure Web browser (regardless of IE's reputation), and NOT upgrading from IE6/IE7 to IE8 would be a bad idea.  In other words, if you are using IE6 or IE7, you are leaving your computer open to a variety of security issues.  Avoiding the upgrade to IE8 is an absolutely terrible idea.  If you're worried about it, have a relative or friend who has some computer knowledge do it for you.  And while they (or you) are at it, configure Windows Update to automatically install all updates.  If you see the little "Windows Update" icon popup in the lower-right corner of the screen, always click it and immediately install all recommended updates.
                        • IN ADDITION to upgrading to IE8 (every Windows computer should have IE8 installed, no matter what), also install a non-IE Web browser.  Here are the ones I support at Lottery Post, in order that I personally like them:
                        • Google Chrome.  My favorite non-IE Web browser, for four main reasons:  (1) It's the fastest Web browser available.  It will make your Web browsing experience orders of magnatude faster than other browsers.  (2) I love its simple interface -- not clogged up with a million toolbars, buttons, plug-ins, menus, etc.  The tabs at the top takje up very little room, and are wonderfully implemented -- you can do things like dragging tabs out of the window, drag a tab into a different Chrome window, etc.  Great stuff.  (3) It's a very secure browser.   Chrome is "sandboxed", meaning web sites do not have any way to access the underlying OS.  (4) It's very stable.  Each tab that's open is completely isolated from the other tabs in the computer's memory, so if a poor web page crashes the browser, only that one tab will die, and the others will continue running fine.
                        • Firefox.  Firefox is the world's second-most popular Web browser, behind only IE.  Compared to other browsers, it's not as good or fast as it used to be, but it's still better than IE in many respects.  Firefox used to be considered the "fast" browser, but it's really in the middle of the pack now.  Chrome, Safari, and Opera are all faster.  Firefox's big advantage is the tremendous number of add-ons available to customize the browser.  (At the same time, people need to be careful not to install too many.)  It also tends to support many more of the latest web standards than IE does, but so does every other non-IE browser.  So this is not the advantage that it once was.  Firefox is definitely not the most secure browser.  In fact, IE8 almost always gets better security ratings.
                        • Safari.  Apple's Safari browser uses many of the same programming code that Google Chrome does, so it is very similar in terms of how it renders pages, and it's very quick.  Safari tends to have the best support for the latest web standards of any browser.  But that's something that programmers tend to care more about than end users.  Many people using PCs may be a little turned off by the Safari interface, which is purposely made to look and behave more like a Mac than a PC.  Others may see it as a positive.  It's one of those subjective things that everyone seems to have a strong feeling about.
                        • Opera.  Opera is such an enigma.  On one hand it has great performance and is very innovative with its interface.  But on the other hand, Opera is the black sheep that knows that it does many things differently, but doesn't care.  From my perspective (and the perspective of many web developers), Opera can be very frustrating, because it can be a little buggy with some features.  From a user's perspective, most web pages around the Internet will work fine, but there will be pages here and there that just don't function correctly.  Many times that's because the web developer failed to test the page using Opera.  I don't dislike Opera however -- it's very, very good at many things, and very fast. 

A special note to people still using Windows 98 or Windows ME:

Yes, I know there are still some of you out there.  I feel bad, because most of the Internet doesn't work correctly with IE5 or IE5.5, which is probably what you're using.

Because your operating system is so old, you can't even upgrade to a non-IE browser in most cases.

However, last year I did a lot of work and testing to figure out a viable upgrade route for you, and I wrote a big article about it in the Help forum.  http://www.lotterypost.com/help/195898

The short answer is that you can install Opera, and still have a pretty good web experience, even with your computer that really belongs in a museum.

The most important thing for Win 98/ME users is thatyou should absolutely, positively avoid using any version of Internet Explorer.  (The "blue E" on their computer.)  Micrsoft has stopped patching security holes for your version of IE, and hackers and bad web sites can very easily get your personal information.  You should read the article in the Help forum and choose one of the upgrade paths.

I hope this was helpful!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

New York, NY
                          United States
                          Member #39471
                          May 16, 2006
                          2696 Posts
                          Posted: March 11, 2010, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

Very helpful Todd. Thanks.

$$$

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: March 12, 2010, 9:52 am - IP Logged

I doubt it would make any difference what I have because I'm on AT&T Dialup. It's the only thing available where I'm located.

Everything I click on is an automatic anxiety attack waiting for it to come up.

It drives me to drink.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                              Harbinger
                              D.C./MD.
                              United States
                              Member #44103
                              July 30, 2006
                              5583 Posts
                              Posted: March 12, 2010, 10:33 am - IP Logged

I doubt it would make any difference what I have because I'm on AT&T Dialup. It's the only thing available where I'm located.

Everything I click on is an automatic anxiety attack waiting for it to come up.

It drives me to drink.

Sateelites! Better than Dial-up!  And if your up on the ridge lookin south even better.

http://www.hughesnet.com/

http://consumer.hughesnet.com/howitworks.cfm