Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lets get a better understanding of what actually wins! Powerball

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

On Powerball - Fellow Posters - when you win on Powerball is it on...

Quick Pick with one line ONLY on ticket [ 13 ]  [25.49%]
Quick Pick Tickets with a two lines ONLY on ticket [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Quick Pick with three lines ONLY on ticket [ 3 ]  [5.88%]
Quick Pick with four lines ONLY on ticket [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Quick Pick with five lines ONLY on ticket [ 14 ]  [27.45%]
Own numbers played on one ticket without Q.Picks [ 21 ]  [41.18%]
Total Valid Votes [ 51 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
New York
United States
Member #79163
August 28, 2009
17 Posts
Posted: March 13, 2010, 1:02 am - IP Logged

Hello fellow Lottery Post members,

I posted the above poll to see if fellow posters can help shed some light on the poll.  This information has always bothered me - Is it better to buy single tickets with one line each - or is there any correlation between the timing mechanism in the lottery machine and the number it generates that makes the "randomness" and combination of the numbers any "more likely" if any correlation can be found.

Although we all know it has to do with the numbers picked - there may be a correlation here if enough people can comment on their past experiences.

Also, some state lotteries offer things such as buy 5 quick pick ON THE SAME TICKET and get one free or some sort of promotion.  I know that the only reason that is done is to get the person who is willing to purchase one or two quick picks to put in the extra money to get a few more - which will raise the lottery revenue.  However, it wouldnt surprise me if the lottery retailer does this becuase they know that 5 lines of Quick Pick on the same ticket RARELY generates winning combinations.  Or else why would they limit such and mandate that all be on 1 ticket.  If they really wanted to stick to revenue then they wouldnt need to mandate that it should all be on one ticket - but instead all ordered at the same time.  I hope everyone understands my point.

Please help out here.  Hopefully it will be a successful post that will lead in one direction which may be a correlation.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5591 Posts
    Posted: March 13, 2010, 8:25 am - IP Logged

195 million to 1 odds. I don't think it makes any difference if you buy all QP's on one tick or 5 tics with one line each or whatever. You can try to cut the odds a little, but it still comes down to incredible luck.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
      West Side of Sunny Florida
      United States
      Member #55048
      September 8, 2007
      3371 Posts
      Posted: March 15, 2010, 5:53 am - IP Logged

195 million to 1 odds. I don't think it makes any difference if you buy all QP's on one tick or 5 tics with one line each or whatever. You can try to cut the odds a little, but it still comes down to incredible luck.

'just in case' I play BOTH ways, but spend LESS on QP's

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: March 15, 2010, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

"Or else why would they limit such and mandate that all be on 1 ticket."

Because that way the lottery only gives free tickets to the people who actually buy 5 games. If they gave a free ticket to an individual who buys 5 games on 5 different tickets they'd be giving free tickets to retailers who sold  5 tickets to 5 different people.

As for the correlation between what kind of tickets are played and what kind of tickets win, that's easy. They're both the same percentage.  If 7.8% of winners are tickets that have 3 QP's then 7.8% of the tickets sold were tickets with 3 QP games on them. If 27.6% of winners are  tickets with 1 QP game then 27.6% of the tickets sold had 1 QP game. Playing multiple QP's on the same ticket may get you different numbers than playing separate tickets, but it doesn't do anything to change the results of the drawing.

TinFoilHat85705's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
          Tucson
          United States
          Member #86504
          February 5, 2010
          28 Posts
          Posted: March 18, 2010, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

I know this post isn't exactly about this part, but I find it interesting that their web site says 70-80% of players choose QP and coincidentally, 70-80% of winners chose QP.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: March 19, 2010, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

good luck trying to convince folks of that, some have ZERO clue.

1 in 195 million.

You think a person would have better luck if it was 1 in 1 million?

Heck, try to get someone 'guess a number between 1 and 10' is hard enough, but you simply cannot get folks to understand that concept.

I tried, I gave up about 2 years ago (trying to describe the odds to people, that is)

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: March 19, 2010, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

I know this post isn't exactly about this part, but I find it interesting that their web site says 70-80% of players choose QP and coincidentally, 70-80% of winners chose QP.

nothing interesting about it, it all comes back to the law of averages.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3300 Posts
                Posted: March 21, 2010, 3:31 am - IP Logged

i have a theory, collect all tickets i have in play and  sort out them into 3 win combo's of the numbers involved.

these 3 hitters will not be drawn so dont play em lol

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: April 2, 2010, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

It don't make no nevermind, no way, no how.

I used to didn't think like that though.

Not never.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19824 Posts
                    Posted: April 2, 2010, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

good luck trying to convince folks of that, some have ZERO clue.

1 in 195 million.

You think a person would have better luck if it was 1 in 1 million?

Heck, try to get someone 'guess a number between 1 and 10' is hard enough, but you simply cannot get folks to understand that concept.

I tried, I gave up about 2 years ago (trying to describe the odds to people, that is)

What's the point of trying to convince folks of anything when it comes to lotteries?  I simply post what I believe and why and folks can do what they want with the information.  I assume they come to LP to share other players ideas on playing lottery games and maybe present their won.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

cope's avatar - usconstitution
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #86370
                      February 3, 2010
                      200 Posts
                      Posted: April 2, 2010, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

Draw upon the impressive talent found in Maddog's prediction threads (Jackpot Forum) to increase your odds of winning.

I believe there have been several 5 + 1 predictions between LP members in the past.

The challenge is determining which predictions to mix/match when selecting your numbers.

If you have a little extra cash laying around, select a series of numbers from multiple LP members and wheel them.

Even a 5 + 0 hit will change your life.

BE JOYFUL ALWAYS, PRAY CONTINUALLY, AND GIVE THANKS IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: April 2, 2010, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

Draw upon the impressive talent found in Maddog's prediction threads (Jackpot Forum) to increase your odds of winning.

I believe there have been several 5 + 1 predictions between LP members in the past.

The challenge is determining which predictions to mix/match when selecting your numbers.

If you have a little extra cash laying around, select a series of numbers from multiple LP members and wheel them.

Even a 5 + 0 hit will change your life.

I love your avatar, cope.

I wish our government had a little respect for it too.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                          Harbinger
                          D.C./MD.
                          United States
                          Member #44103
                          July 30, 2006
                          5583 Posts
                          Posted: April 3, 2010, 8:39 am - IP Logged

I love your avatar, cope.

I wish our government had a little respect for it too.

Excellent avatar! Agree 1787%

US Flag

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                            Harbinger
                            D.C./MD.
                            United States
                            Member #44103
                            July 30, 2006
                            5583 Posts
                            Posted: April 3, 2010, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

NO QPS!

United States
                              Member #9579
                              December 12, 2004
                              2121 Posts
                              Posted: April 19, 2010, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

my conclusion is,if you live in a huge population state where there are large turnover of numbers,then quickpiks are best,but if you live in a small pop. area like utah,then your own piks stand a better chance.