Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How Much Will You Give?

Topic closed. 49 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Guest.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
Member #88435
March 16, 2010
397 Posts
Posted: April 4, 2010, 5:18 am - IP Logged

After hitting the big one, a major jackpot...how much would you give to charities, churches...etc?

I have about 12 right now I would give 20% of a advertised jackpot...I say that because I go by gross amount...not net...that may not make sense to most of you...but I consider the advertised amount the gross amount. I know there are more than 12 charities I would give to...just need to look into it more.

$1,000,000

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    40561 Posts
    Posted: April 4, 2010, 7:25 am - IP Logged

I would give to childrens hospitals. St. Judes does incredible work for kids with cancer.I'd also help families with sick children.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10353 Posts
      Posted: April 4, 2010, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

After hitting the big one, a major jackpot...how much would you give to charities, churches...etc?

I have about 12 right now I would give 20% of a advertised jackpot...I say that because I go by gross amount...not net...that may not make sense to most of you...but I consider the advertised amount the gross amount. I know there are more than 12 charities I would give to...just need to look into it more.

THRUST,

For the amount of money lottery jackpots entail no one is doing themself any favor basing things on gross vs net.

Say you won $20 million, pre-cash option, pre-tax. If you "pledge" 10% on gross that's $2 million right off the top. After cash amount and taxes let's say you net $4.8 million. Are you really going to give away almost half of it?

Also, just my personal quirk here, but far better to give now, amything, than discussions about how much any one would give out of yet-to-be-won jackpopts.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Set4life's avatar - 2554
        East Hampton, NY
        United States
        Member #41995
        June 25, 2006
        1137 Posts
        Posted: April 4, 2010, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

i dont trust the church or charities.  Your better off going to a place that needs the money and do it yourself

$Group Hug$

FOR THE WIN!

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
          Chicago
          United States
          Member #70678
          February 8, 2009
          889 Posts
          Posted: April 4, 2010, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

i dont trust the church or charities.  Your better off going to a place that needs the money and do it yourself

I really don't trust them either. If I chose to donate to charities I would choose from my Combined Federal Campaign book.

CA
            United States
            Member #84266
            December 26, 2009
            410 Posts
            Posted: April 4, 2010, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

I would donate to the ASPCA.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
              Member #47420
              November 4, 2006
              3930 Posts
              Posted: April 4, 2010, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

I really don't trust them either. If I chose to donate to charities I would choose from my Combined Federal Campaign book.

Com'on ca- your loaded..You should donate to the Postal retiree's fund..You can send tiggs check direct to him..Thanks ca- your a doll......

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
                Member #88435
                March 16, 2010
                397 Posts
                Posted: April 4, 2010, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

THRUST,

For the amount of money lottery jackpots entail no one is doing themself any favor basing things on gross vs net.

Say you won $20 million, pre-cash option, pre-tax. If you "pledge" 10% on gross that's $2 million right off the top. After cash amount and taxes let's say you net $4.8 million. Are you really going to give away almost half of it?

Also, just my personal quirk here, but far better to give now, amything, than discussions about how much any one would give out of yet-to-be-won jackpopts.

Yes I would give half of it...it's just money and if someone else can be helped with it then absolutely yes. I do give now.

Smiley

$1,000,000

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                  Tx
                  United States
                  Member #4570
                  May 4, 2004
                  5180 Posts
                  Posted: April 5, 2010, 12:03 am - IP Logged

The more money won, maybe the higher percent that might be given.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #86154
                    January 30, 2010
                    1649 Posts
                    Posted: April 5, 2010, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

Hey, now you're talkin'!! Take it upon yourself to do some research and find out who or what organizations need the real help. Helping the "not so big" guys would benefit one so much more as opposed to the "run of the mill" charities. Hell, they might even name the charity after you or actually "start" some sort of charity after you...not that this is the point.

I'd feel better if I went out and built a shelter and organized a program to feed/clothe the homeless/hungry people "HERE" rather than to just hand over a bunch of $$$  to the big boys. Just my.02.

L.L.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: April 5, 2010, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

Yes I would give half of it...it's just money and if someone else can be helped with it then absolutely yes. I do give now.

Smiley

I could be helped beyond measure by half of your winnings, THRUST.

Thanks for the offer.

I accept.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                        Member #47420
                        November 4, 2006
                        3930 Posts
                        Posted: April 5, 2010, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

I could be helped beyond measure by half of your winnings, THRUST.

Thanks for the offer.

I accept.

If tiggs was to give any to ridge he'd have to come to Ky and get it..Money saved..hehehe..

luckyshoes's avatar - butterfly neg.jpg
                          Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #79502
                          September 2, 2009
                          6395 Posts
                          Posted: April 5, 2010, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

I would give to childrens charities.....particularly  the sunshine foundation.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: April 5, 2010, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

If tiggs was to give any to ridge he'd have to come to Ky and get it..Money saved..hehehe..

I'll meetcha in the tunnel under the mountain at Middlesboro tiggs. Half way.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                              Chicago
                              United States
                              Member #70678
                              February 8, 2009
                              889 Posts
                              Posted: April 5, 2010, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

Com'on ca- your loaded..You should donate to the Postal retiree's fund..You can send tiggs check direct to him..Thanks ca- your a doll......

LOL only that's not funny! I heard the fund was in trouble?   I may need to send checks to myself!