Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 7:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Money Matters: Sudden wealth advice

Topic closed. 80 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Dollar419.

Page 2 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
Member #88435
March 16, 2010
397 Posts
Posted: April 12, 2010, 9:35 am - IP Logged

I can live simply but job one is liberty, independence and freedom in a country currently being led by those who want to limit it and making sure my family is safe.

That being said, disconnecting as much as possible from dependence on others for life's necessities would be my primary focus in any initial financial outlay from a jackpot win. Also, I wouldn't hesitate one second to claim my winnings because one second is actually longer than I trust the government with my money.

The path the current regime has us on can result in nothing less than financial collapse, a breakdown in law and order and civil unrest if not ended in the next two elections. Anyone who isn't preparing for that possible eventuality is whistling past the graveyard.

I would spare no expense in major outlays for building necessary structures and all things necessary to get off the grid and so forth.  You won't be able to use those millions in the bank to build anything if the dollar collapses.

This is why I wouldn't mind owning a small island somewhere...where no one would be able to get to me that easy...just grow my own stuff...fish and raise whatever animals I want to eat...I would make sure I have enough brandy to drink for 2 life times. LOL

$1,000,000

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: April 12, 2010, 9:52 am - IP Logged

This is why I wouldn't mind owning a small island somewhere...where no one would be able to get to me that easy...just grow my own stuff...fish and raise whatever animals I want to eat...I would make sure I have enough brandy to drink for 2 life times. LOL

Yeah THRUST, a lot of people might call us alarmists but I believe the height of irresponsibility would be to see what's going on and not take steps to make sure your family is safe in the event of civil unrest.

I believe the smartest move if feasible is to put some distance between yourself and any large city because when the money runs out for entitlements, things in the big cities will get real bad, real fast.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
      Member #88435
      March 16, 2010
      397 Posts
      Posted: April 12, 2010, 10:12 am - IP Logged

Yeah THRUST, a lot of people might call us alarmists but I believe the height of irresponsibility would be to see what's going on and not take steps to make sure your family is safe in the event of civil unrest.

I believe the smartest move if feasible is to put some distance between yourself and any large city because when the money runs out for entitlements, things in the big cities will get real bad, real fast.

Well the only person who can look out for you...is you. I wouldn't take any chances...large cities are bad anyway...I just want to get away where there is nothing but peace, quiet, sun, sand and surf...I'll be ok then.

$1,000,000

New York,
        Panama
        Member #73078
        April 4, 2009
        3490 Posts
        Posted: April 12, 2010, 10:24 am - IP Logged

Right you are rdgrnr! And this might happen sooner than we think!! With time running away from us like a thief from a cop with a Gun!

We have to make haste and get these funds in place, and I don't care what any one say I believe that winning the Lottery,  is another way That GOD can Bless you!  and it's no sin!  It's not a Loan, you don't have to pawn your house or your Salary for it!    I work on my Business and I Play the Lottery anything can happen with either of the two!

And HIS word Tell's me it is HE who gives me power to get wealth! 

So many want to sit and wait for a handout!  

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          51218 Posts
          Posted: April 12, 2010, 10:34 am - IP Logged

No matter where you are: If you have a food & water supply: It won't be long before your neighbors who don't have food & water will come & Try to take your Food & Water!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
            Texas
            United States
            Member #86154
            January 30, 2010
            1654 Posts
            Posted: April 12, 2010, 10:44 am - IP Logged

^

If you are spending $100k a month...you got problems and will be broke within a year. Like I said it is your money and if you want to p*ss it all away...then go ahead, more power to you. Try a budget of $10k-$25K a month...or less. Just because you won the lottery doesn't mean you can go crazy...even celebs go broke after earning mega millions type money. 

I'm so glad that you can see the light here!! Why on earth would a person want to set a $100,000 per month budget just because they've won the lottery??? Heck, just YESTERDAY, they were cool and making do with the budget already in place!! See, this is what I'm talking about.

When a person realizes how to really work their money, they'll understand that just the INTEREST alone will now allow them to live very comfortably. It's cool to "upgrade" a little bit and splurge but, let's have some good old fashioned common sense about it.

Personally, $10,000 per month would allow ANYONE to live very well...especially when they don't even have to work for it because the interest is doing all the lifting now. Hey, you don't have to tell old 'LUCKY twice!!Thumbs Up

Good post.

L.L.

sully16's avatar - sharan
              Ringleader
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #81740
              October 28, 2009
              42155 Posts
              Posted: April 12, 2010, 10:45 am - IP Logged

No matter where you are: If you have a food & water supply: It won't be long before your neighbors who don't have food & water will come & Try to take your Food & Water!

thats why our 2nd amendment is so very important.

HyperBe Happy.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: April 12, 2010, 10:47 am - IP Logged

Good point Raven and a good reason to live or have a place way out in the country if possible with as few neighbors as possible.

--Edmund Burke

Texas
                  United States
                  Member #86154
                  January 30, 2010
                  1654 Posts
                  Posted: April 12, 2010, 10:53 am - IP Logged

Well, it is good, though, to feed a man if he's hungery and to quench his thirst. In fact, we have an obligation to do this...all within reason. If a man doesn't work then he shouldn't eat. But, if a family is experiencing hard times and need my help food-wise, I'll give them whatever they need.

This is how unexpected blessings present themselves...sometimes MILLIONS of times over!!! I do understand your general point, though.

L.L.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: April 12, 2010, 10:56 am - IP Logged

Good point sully. Extremely important. Disarming the citizenry is a big part of the current agenda. Hillary recently endorsed the UN plan to do just that.

--Edmund Burke

New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      51218 Posts
                      Posted: April 12, 2010, 10:56 am - IP Logged

The playing field won't be even: Folks will be fighting against Tanks, Helicopters, Biological Weapons with Pop Guns.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: April 12, 2010, 11:02 am - IP Logged

Well, it is good, though, to feed a man if he's hungery and to quench his thirst. In fact, we have an obligation to do this...all within reason. If a man doesn't work then he shouldn't eat. But, if a family is experiencing hard times and need my help food-wise, I'll give them whatever they need.

This is how unexpected blessings present themselves...sometimes MILLIONS of times over!!! I do understand your general point, though.

L.L.

I wholeheartedly agree with your basic premise LL but in the large cities there will be teeming masses of people experiencing hard times. That situation will become untenable very quickly. It will be the law of the jungle.

If at all possible it would be best to not be in those places.

--Edmund Burke

New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #17843
                          June 28, 2005
                          51218 Posts
                          Posted: April 12, 2010, 11:03 am - IP Logged

^

If you are spending $100k a month...you got problems and will be broke within a year. Like I said it is your money and if you want to p*ss it all away...then go ahead, more power to you. Try a budget of $10k-$25K a month...or less. Just because you won the lottery doesn't mean you can go crazy...even celebs go broke after earning mega millions type money. 

To some people $100k/mo is Walking-Around-Money: They Can Afford to Spend It & Not Even Miss It!

sully16's avatar - sharan
                            Ringleader
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #81740
                            October 28, 2009
                            42155 Posts
                            Posted: April 12, 2010, 11:09 am - IP Logged

The playing field won't be even: Folks will be fighting against Tanks, Helicopters, Biological Weapons with Pop Guns.

thats sad and scary at the same time, still if this country ever goes that haywire, people will try to survive with any means possible .

HyperBe Happy.

Texas
                              United States
                              Member #86154
                              January 30, 2010
                              1654 Posts
                              Posted: April 12, 2010, 11:10 am - IP Logged

I wholeheartedly agree with your basic premise LL but in the large cities there will be teeming masses of people experiencing hard times. That situation will become untenable very quickly. It will be the law of the jungle.

If at all possible it would be best to not be in those places.

Yeah, this is why I said "within reason". We don't have to be pushovers when it comes to helping and I certainly agree with you. But, we have to help SOMEBODY when coming into all that money...it's just the right thing to do if a person has any morals.

TO HIM WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED. 'Ridge, I know you'd do the right thing because you're well seasoned in all this. I'm talkin' about all the "bland minds" here...all the ME, ME, ME, ME, ME's.

L.L.