Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: Jackpot amounts

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Dollar419.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

What amount, if any, would you consider "obscene", for one winner?

No such animal. I want it all. Mine! [ 20 ]  [46.51%]
I'll be the first $500 million winner. [ 4 ]  [9.30%]
I'll the first $1 billion winner [ 3 ]  [6.98%]
Over $100 million [ 4 ]  [9.30%]
Over $50 million [ 1 ]  [2.33%]
Over $25 million [ 1 ]  [2.33%]
Anything over $24, 982, 301.76! [ 2 ]  [4.65%]
Give me a nice quiet $5-10 Million in a Pick 6 [ 6 ]  [13.95%]
Other [ 2 ]  [4.65%]
Total Valid Votes [ 43 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10345 Posts
Posted: April 18, 2010, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

"Obscene" meaning in the sense that the jackpot is so huge when you play you hope someone else wins along with you?

Take into consideration reductions of the advertised amounts for cash option, and then what the net would be after taxes, but is there an amount you consider too much for one winner, even if that winner is you?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
    Member #88435
    March 16, 2010
    397 Posts
    Posted: April 18, 2010, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

No such animal, I want it all! MINE!!! Razz

You are only getting roughly half of the advertised jackpot if you take cash option and then you are looking at less because of taxes...don't forget.

Sure a few million would be enough for someone...but that isn't even the point. Why be limited to one amount or the other? 

I would take what ever I can get and be grateful. Smile

$1,000,000

United States
      Member #26330
      November 16, 2005
      330 Posts
      Posted: April 18, 2010, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

"Obscene" meaning in the sense that the jackpot is so huge when you play you hope someone else wins along with you?

Take into consideration reductions of the advertised amounts for cash option, and then what the net would be after taxes, but is there an amount you consider too much for one winner, even if that winner is you?

For ME I would say NO AMMOUNT would be obscene.  But I son't consider "Wealth" obscene.   Being a Free Market Capitalist I would say whatever the Market will bear.....But that depends on the person...For Jack Whittaker $1million would be Obscene because he obviously can't handle fame/money that comes from a lottery win...However for a person that can handle money (like me..Hopefully) Could claim the money and disappear.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19817 Posts
        Posted: April 18, 2010, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

For ME I would say NO AMMOUNT would be obscene.  But I son't consider "Wealth" obscene.   Being a Free Market Capitalist I would say whatever the Market will bear.....But that depends on the person...For Jack Whittaker $1million would be Obscene because he obviously can't handle fame/money that comes from a lottery win...However for a person that can handle money (like me..Hopefully) Could claim the money and disappear.

Jack Whittaker was already a millionaire when he won that PB jackpot, he owned a construction company.  He probably acted much the same before he won the jackpot. 

He got national attention because so many people seem to feel lottery winners money don't really belong to them in the same way it would if they earned it by being a wall street banker or an executive in a large company.  The see lottery winners as only stewards of their winnings with a responsibility to use it doing good for others.  Yet when bankers and executives get that kind of money as a yearly salary and bonuses, there isn't any national news coverage on how they spend their money because no one cares.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: April 18, 2010, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

Not that I think it's obscene but I wouldn't mind if they capped it at 100 mill and then take all the money they would have added to the jackpot subsequently and add it to the lesser prizes instead.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
            Member #88435
            March 16, 2010
            397 Posts
            Posted: April 18, 2010, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

^

I like the idea of lesser prizes being more...it really is uneven...$200,000-$250,000 then $10,000??? 

$1,000,000

sully16's avatar - sharan
              Ringleader
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #81740
              October 28, 2009
              40299 Posts
              Posted: April 18, 2010, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

I would'nt mind sharing anything over 15 million, with my family 15 mil is just fine.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #56506
                November 21, 2007
                6537 Posts
                Posted: April 18, 2010, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

I don't think there is an obscene amount for one person to win, but if a jackpot goes up to 200, 300+ million, I dont mind seeing more then one person win it. It would be nice to see more then one person benefit with really large jackpots. But, like some other members here, I am one of those people who would LOVE to win a jackpot no matter how small. Even if it might mean having to share. It would be better then nothing.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19817 Posts
                  Posted: April 18, 2010, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

If you ever find yourself the only winner of a jackpot larger than you would care to accept alone then you'll probably have no problems gathering a pool of family members, friends and neighbors who would be happy to claim it with you.  The only problem is they probably wouldn't tell you if the situation was switched they would not do the same with you and you would probably like to think they would.

Myself, if the jackpot was large enough to pay an annuity of $5M or more annually, I would accept the annuity and not worry about managing the cash.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #56506
                    November 21, 2007
                    6537 Posts
                    Posted: April 18, 2010, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

If you ever find yourself the only winner of a jackpot larger than you would care to accept alone then you'll probably have no problems gathering a pool of family members, friends and neighbors who would be happy to claim it with you.  The only problem is they probably wouldn't tell you if the situation was switched they would not do the same with you and you would probably like to think they would.

Myself, if the jackpot was large enough to pay an annuity of $5M or more annually, I would accept the annuity and not worry about managing the cash.

I am not talking about sharing a jackpot with family or friends. If I ever win, I will be claiming my jackpot by myself, well they may go down to the headquarters with me, but they know that the jackpot will be mine. I mean having more then one person winning a huge jackpot...probably from different states, people who don't know each other.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19817 Posts
                      Posted: April 18, 2010, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

I am not talking about sharing a jackpot with family or friends. If I ever win, I will be claiming my jackpot by myself, well they may go down to the headquarters with me, but they know that the jackpot will be mine. I mean having more then one person winning a huge jackpot...probably from different states, people who don't know each other.

Taking family and friends with you to claim a jackpot for only yourself is like taking them with you for dinner and only paying for your meal, you might have some disappointed family and friends.

Norfolk,VA
                        United States
                        Member #83225
                        December 2, 2009
                        757 Posts
                        Posted: April 18, 2010, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

Taking family and friends with you to claim a jackpot for only yourself is like taking them with you for dinner and only paying for your meal, you might have some disappointed family and friends.

I Agree!

''YOU CAN PAY FOR SCHOOL BUT, YOU CAN'T BUY CLASS''Thumbs Up

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: April 18, 2010, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

I would'nt mind sharing anything over 15 million, with my family 15 mil is just fine.

I accept, sully. Let me know when you win over 15 mill.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

sully16's avatar - sharan
                            Ringleader
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #81740
                            October 28, 2009
                            40299 Posts
                            Posted: April 18, 2010, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

got ya covered uncle ridge,let me know when you get yours.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Idaho
                              United States
                              Member #56506
                              November 21, 2007
                              6537 Posts
                              Posted: April 18, 2010, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

Not really. The family members that would go with me (my mom and sisters), if they wanted to go that is, know that if I win, they will get a certain amount and that's it. They don't expect me to flatout split the whole jackpot. We've discussed this before. So, I don't see them being disappointed. It depends on ones family and ones relationship with how you handle a situation like this. Everyone is different.