Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Paid In Lottery Tickets

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 7 years ago by time*treat.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

What Percentage of Lottery Tickets Would You Accept As Wages Paid?

Less then 1% [ 4 ]  [6.78%]
1% [ 5 ]  [8.47%]
2% [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
5% [ 1 ]  [1.69%]
10% [ 6 ]  [10.17%]
20% [ 2 ]  [3.39%]
30% [ 2 ]  [3.39%]
50% [ 2 ]  [3.39%]
All [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
None [ 37 ]  [62.71%]
Total Valid Votes [ 59 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: May 2, 2010, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

When you start doing that "every now and then", you open a door that you might want to keep closed.  What happens when he insists that you accept 25% of your wages in tickets?  If you don't ever start it, you don't have to stop it.  It has nothing to do with liking him or not.  It is not your job to help him to "manage" HIS money.  If he can't pay regular wages then he  needs to close the doors.

A lot of people have had to make concessions to keep their jobs in this economy. There's a lot more that wish they had made the concessions that were asked of them and a lot more that wish they had had the opportunity to make concessions to keep their jobs.

In that light, I'm sure employees being faced with taking one percent of their pay in lottery tickets to save the boss some money as opposed to being out of a job, most intelligent people would take the offer.

That's just common sense.

Now that I think of it, it might even be a good way for the government to cut costs on some of their overpaid payroll hogs.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10354 Posts
    Posted: May 2, 2010, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

rdgrnr,

You make some good points but with all the corporate greed that we've seen this tickets as wages could so eadily turn into "Well, the new policy is it takes $2 of wages to get a $1 ticket...." and then $3, then $4, etc...the whole while the boss still writing the full amount off as payroll - and pocketing the difference?

<insert X-files music and "Trust No One" here>

That's not all too far from the Triangle Fire in the garment industry or the early coal mines.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19831 Posts
      Posted: May 2, 2010, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

A lot of people have had to make concessions to keep their jobs in this economy. There's a lot more that wish they had made the concessions that were asked of them and a lot more that wish they had had the opportunity to make concessions to keep their jobs.

In that light, I'm sure employees being faced with taking one percent of their pay in lottery tickets to save the boss some money as opposed to being out of a job, most intelligent people would take the offer.

That's just common sense.

Now that I think of it, it might even be a good way for the government to cut costs on some of their overpaid payroll hogs.

Years ago when Ohio lottery first started, the Weinder Pontiac and Buick dealership of Mansfield, Ohio gave each new car buyer $100 worth of lottery tickets. They bought thousands of them every week and any that weren't given out were put in a pool for management and employees.  The dealership won a jackpot but with so many people in the pool each share only amounted to a few thousand dollars.  I don't know if the rules changed but a year or so later the owner claimed another jackpot by himself, retired, sold the dealership and moved to Florida. 

Those tickets were given to the employees and never considered as part of their pay even when they won a jackpot.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: May 2, 2010, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

rdgrnr,

You make some good points but with all the corporate greed that we've seen this tickets as wages could so eadily turn into "Well, the new policy is it takes $2 of wages to get a $1 ticket...." and then $3, then $4, etc...the whole while the boss still writing the full amount off as payroll - and pocketing the difference?

<insert X-files music and "Trust No One" here>

That's not all too far from the Triangle Fire in the garment industry or the early coal mines.

Then I'll get my Tennessee Ernie Ford record out - Sixteen Tons, lol.

St Peter dont'cha call me cuz I can't go

I owe my soul to the company store

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: May 2, 2010, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

Years ago when Ohio lottery first started, the Weinder Pontiac and Buick dealership of Mansfield, Ohio gave each new car buyer $100 worth of lottery tickets. They bought thousands of them every week and any that weren't given out were put in a pool for management and employees.  The dealership won a jackpot but with so many people in the pool each share only amounted to a few thousand dollars.  I don't know if the rules changed but a year or so later the owner claimed another jackpot by himself, retired, sold the dealership and moved to Florida. 

Those tickets were given to the employees and never considered as part of their pay even when they won a jackpot.

Sounds like a good man, a giving man.

And the good things he did came back to him just as it's meant to be.

--Edmund Burke

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3475 Posts
            Posted: May 2, 2010, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

I voted none, because if he is going to do this:

He gets the state commission on every sale so it's like paying 95 cents for every dollar in tickets he can give out instead of cash. "

In essence every ticket used as pay has cut that dollar of wages by 5%.

What is he going to do next?

Why does it matter to you how much it costs him to pay you a fixed amount? What matters is the value to you, and whether or not it's a voluntary choice. If you were being paid $500 and that changed to $495 and 5  $1 lottery tickets that you were going to buy anyway, you'd still be taking home at least the same amount. It's more complicated than that, though, because you've overlooked further savings to the employer and the actual value to you.

The lottery tickets would be a materials expense to the employer whether they were given to an employee or sold to a customer. Assuming that, as far as the paper trail goes, you're now being paid  $495 instead of $500 the employer is saving the  7.65% of that $5 that they would normally be paying as the FICA tax. That's better than the 5 to 6% commission they'd get. They also wouldn't be paying worker's comp. Depending on the job, that could easily be another 10%. That means it costs the employer about $3.87 to pay you $5 in lottery tickets.

On your end, you also wouldn't be paying your share of the FICA tax on that $5. You also wouldn't be paying income taxes on the $5. That would vary based on your taxable income, but even if you're only in the 15% bracket and have no state income tax, you'd be saving the same 22.65% the employer is saving. Your actual cost for the $5 worth of tickets you were buying anyway would be about $3.87. Of course there is a small catch. Your income would be treated as $495 instead of $500 if you lost your job and collected unemployment, or if you were hurt and collected workers comp. Since your contributions to FICA determine your social security payments,  you could expect them to be reduced, also.

United States
              Member #75358
              June 1, 2009
              5345 Posts
              Posted: May 3, 2010, 12:20 am - IP Logged

Why does it matter to you how much it costs him to pay you a fixed amount? What matters is the value to you, and whether or not it's a voluntary choice. If you were being paid $500 and that changed to $495 and 5  $1 lottery tickets that you were going to buy anyway, you'd still be taking home at least the same amount. It's more complicated than that, though, because you've overlooked further savings to the employer and the actual value to you.

The lottery tickets would be a materials expense to the employer whether they were given to an employee or sold to a customer. Assuming that, as far as the paper trail goes, you're now being paid  $495 instead of $500 the employer is saving the  7.65% of that $5 that they would normally be paying as the FICA tax. That's better than the 5 to 6% commission they'd get. They also wouldn't be paying worker's comp. Depending on the job, that could easily be another 10%. That means it costs the employer about $3.87 to pay you $5 in lottery tickets.

On your end, you also wouldn't be paying your share of the FICA tax on that $5. You also wouldn't be paying income taxes on the $5. That would vary based on your taxable income, but even if you're only in the 15% bracket and have no state income tax, you'd be saving the same 22.65% the employer is saving. Your actual cost for the $5 worth of tickets you were buying anyway would be about $3.87. Of course there is a small catch. Your income would be treated as $495 instead of $500 if you lost your job and collected unemployment, or if you were hurt and collected workers comp. Since your contributions to FICA determine your social security payments,  you could expect them to be reduced, also.

Maybe, maybe not. The year end cost/savings ratio would be, as if the contributions bracket was taxable income, and did not reduce payments from the losses. Furthermore, the value of the comp. was undertaken enormously, and not subtracted from the 495 you talked about earlier.

With the 5 bucks worth of tickets, the employer would deter 3.38 percent collection of the allocation fund/s and verify the difference by  about 2.73. Not enough to make much of a difference. Since the payments would dramatically decrease, and savings increase, your point becomes irrelevent. A 17% allowance for comps and the reliance on FICA's unemployment, and residual net would be gained by 3 or 4 percent. Definitely not practical.

United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10354 Posts
                Posted: May 3, 2010, 12:36 am - IP Logged

KY Floyd

"Why does it matter to you how much it costs him to pay you a fixedamount? What matters is the value to you, and whether or not it's avoluntary choice. If you were being paid $500 and that changed to $495and 5  $1 lottery tickets that you were going to buy anyway, you'dstill be taking home at least the same amount. It's more complicatedthan that, though, because you've overlooked further savings to theemployer and the actual value to you."

How big is the company? Let's say it's large, let's say 500 employees. Let's say that's 500 x's the $5 not paid. Let's also say that he's likely to indulge inn voodoo acounting and keep two sets of books. Let's wonder where the $2500 not paid is going.

The whole thing is full of red flags and brings to mind thinkgs like, "The pay cut is actually going to put more money in your pockets, you'll see."

In the long run, if I'm working for somebody that sells loittery tickets, if I want to buy one, I'll buy one.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                  Dump Water Florida
                  United States
                  Member #380
                  June 5, 2002
                  3104 Posts
                  Posted: May 3, 2010, 1:45 am - IP Logged

Interesting responses.  It seems freedom to do what one wants with their money ranks above making the boss happy by taking what would have been purchased anyway. 

Maybe I should have made the poll for lottery tickets and beer.   Wink

BobP

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: May 3, 2010, 1:51 am - IP Logged

Interesting responses.  It seems freedom to do what one wants with their money ranks above making the boss happy by taking what would have been purchased anyway. 

BobP

Not beer, Bob.

Whiskey!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaa!

--Edmund Burke

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10354 Posts
                      Posted: May 3, 2010, 2:19 am - IP Logged

BobP

BobP,

It's just that it sounds so much like the boss' name maybe be "Bernie", or perhaps he was a boss at "Enron", or maybe something like "Keating 5" was on his resume.

With paranoia you'll never have to dine alone......

Wink

Lep

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19831 Posts
                        Posted: May 3, 2010, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

BobP

Maybe you should have made the poll for food, I've seen people wearing signs that read "Will work for food".  I've often wondered if I could get my lawn mowed for a McD or BK value meal.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Winlotta's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                          Member #60014
                          April 3, 2008
                          735 Posts
                          Posted: May 3, 2010, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

When you start doing that "every now and then", you open a door that you might want to keep closed.  What happens when he insists that you accept 25% of your wages in tickets?  If you don't ever start it, you don't have to stop it.  It has nothing to do with liking him or not.  It is not your job to help him to "manage" HIS money.  If he can't pay regular wages then he  needs to close the doors.

If you don't ever start it, you don't have to stop it.  I Agree!

Many employees today only make minimum wage in a 32- hour-week so no chance of benefits. Along comes  a "Boss Hogg" employer trying to pocket even more with 'Here's-your-95-cent-ticket-I'll pocket- the-rest' promise.

Patriot

`|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|`

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7322 Posts
                            Posted: May 3, 2010, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

If the employee already wagers 5% of their earnings on lottery tickets every week, there is no difference if their boss offers them 5% of their earnings in lottery tickets. The only problem I see is with the timing of buying scratch-off tickets because clerks pretty much know when a roll of tickets hasn't produced any winners. If they choose that time to collect their "lottery tickets" earnings by purchasing the rest of the roll, it could cause ethic problems and legal problems in some states.

United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10354 Posts
                              Posted: May 3, 2010, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

Maybe you should have made the poll for food, I've seen people wearing signs that read "Will work for food".  I've often wondered if I could get my lawn mowed for a McD or BK value meal.

An invetigstive reporter once did an article on the "Will work for food" panhandlers (I think it was the Las Vegas Review Journal) and he said over and over again when people with these signs were offered to come help clean out garages or do yard work their standard answer was, "I don't want to lose my corner, my spot."

Lep