Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

why is it better to play $5QP instead of $1QP,$2QP,$3QP, 0r $4QP at mega millions and powerball?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 7 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90535
April 29, 2010
12118 Posts
Posted: May 5, 2010, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

I have noticed that lottery players win the mega millions jackpots and powerball by playing $1QP, $2QP, $3QP, $4QP AND $5QP.  As far from having better chances with $5QP. I feel that $5QP players have won the most jackpots.

United States
    Member #9579
    December 12, 2004
    2121 Posts
    Posted: May 5, 2010, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

i haven't.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: May 6, 2010, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

I have noticed that lottery players win the mega millions jackpots and powerball by playing $1QP, $2QP, $3QP, $4QP AND $5QP.  As far from having better chances with $5QP. I feel that $5QP players have won the most jackpots.

I would guess there's a way to document that if it's true.

I don't know if anyone ever has though.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

NEW YORK
        United States
        Member #90535
        April 29, 2010
        12118 Posts
        Posted: May 7, 2010, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

rdgrnr, if you read most powerball and mega millions winners stories, they have won by playing $5 QP and the winning line is usually the last line on the $5 QP ticket (line E).

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1958 Posts
          Posted: May 7, 2010, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

Well it's better in the way that it has more chances on the ticket. Other than that I don't know why a person would really consider it "better". Even if it's not true, I'm not really concerned with such an observation though because I got a Powerball ticket in my wallet that's worth $80,000,000. Thanks for your $5 Thrifty.Thumbs Up

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
            Member #9579
            December 12, 2004
            2121 Posts
            Posted: May 8, 2010, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

so if everyone buys a $5qp,everyone wins!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19900 Posts
              Posted: May 8, 2010, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

I feel that $5QP players have won the most jackpots.

The title of your post sounds like you have some facts.  How does how you feel effect anything?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: May 9, 2010, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

so if everyone buys a $5qp,everyone wins!

everyone wins except the person that bought the ticket.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23352 Posts
                  Posted: May 9, 2010, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

People playing 5 tickets have 5 times more chances to win than people playing 1 ticket.  The odds are still terrible for both players, but I suspect the extra chances do give the $5 player a better shot at it.

Remember how Jack Whittaker won?  He bought a $2 hot dog with a $100 bill, and used the $98 in change for 98 Powerball tickets.  I'm not saying everyone should buy 98 tickets, but he did win.

Edit:  To be fair, I've posted a lot of news stories about people winning on a single quick pick.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                    Member #41383
                    June 16, 2006
                    1969 Posts
                    Posted: May 9, 2010, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

Todd, the first time I ever played PB (early 90's) I played a $5 QP, and I got money back on 4 of the 5 games!

Woohoo!

For the next drawing I figured I was lucky as hell, I spend about $125 on tickets, and got ZILCH back. NOTHING.

In 2006-2007 I won $100 eleven times, since then just twice.

I get 3x5 all the time, but not much better.

Since 2008 I play AT MOST $3 a drawing, and usually $2 a drawing.

PS - since 2005 I have picked all my own numbers.

NEW YORK
                      United States
                      Member #90535
                      April 29, 2010
                      12118 Posts
                      Posted: May 11, 2010, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Todd, the first time I ever played PB (early 90's) I played a $5 QP, and I got money back on 4 of the 5 games!

Woohoo!

For the next drawing I figured I was lucky as hell, I spend about $125 on tickets, and got ZILCH back. NOTHING.

In 2006-2007 I won $100 eleven times, since then just twice.

I get 3x5 all the time, but not much better.

Since 2008 I play AT MOST $3 a drawing, and usually $2 a drawing.

PS - since 2005 I have picked all my own numbers.

I agree with your point guesser.Anybody can win the lottery regardless of how much you play.  I write my posts to see different points on the matter.  Nobody knows it all, but we can share knowledge to make things easier.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: May 12, 2010, 4:51 am - IP Logged

rdgrnr, if you read most powerball and mega millions winners stories, they have won by playing $5 QP and the winning line is usually the last line on the $5 QP ticket (line E).

I would defer to RJOh's response (paraphrased): How you feel about it doesn't really affect the stats.

You could well be correct that $5 QP's win most often but I'm pretty sure most people here would prefer documentation over conjecture.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
                          Midlands, SC
                          United States
                          Member #69698
                          January 14, 2009
                          303 Posts
                          Posted: May 12, 2010, 6:18 am - IP Logged

Well, I've done it all.  1QP on one ticket....5QP'S on one ticket...3 on one ticket, etc.  When the jackpot is really big I've even used the same slip for a quick pick at 2 or 3 different stores...and what did it get me?  Maybe 3 bucks was won. 

I've also noticed that if I pick my own numbers on one line and quick pick the rest of the lines on the same slip...the QP numbers tended to copy my picked numbers....so then I started using separate slips.  Trying to figure out a strategy is beyond me!

I really think it's just luck of the draw.  For this 10x promotion I did one ticket for multiple draws thru the month of May.  I'm sick of PB taking my money.  No...I'm sick of me giving my money away freely to the lottery without anything to show for it in return....but I'm no fool (LOL)...I will keep at least one ticket going at all times....it only takes one to win it....

NEW YORK
                            United States
                            Member #90535
                            April 29, 2010
                            12118 Posts
                            Posted: May 12, 2010, 9:57 am - IP Logged

Well, I've done it all.  1QP on one ticket....5QP'S on one ticket...3 on one ticket, etc.  When the jackpot is really big I've even used the same slip for a quick pick at 2 or 3 different stores...and what did it get me?  Maybe 3 bucks was won. 

I've also noticed that if I pick my own numbers on one line and quick pick the rest of the lines on the same slip...the QP numbers tended to copy my picked numbers....so then I started using separate slips.  Trying to figure out a strategy is beyond me!

I really think it's just luck of the draw.  For this 10x promotion I did one ticket for multiple draws thru the month of May.  I'm sick of PB taking my money.  No...I'm sick of me giving my money away freely to the lottery without anything to show for it in return....but I'm no fool (LOL)...I will keep at least one ticket going at all times....it only takes one to win it....

Dopey7719, you are very smart.  You are 100% right , it only takes one ticket to win it.  Although i feel strongly about spending $5QP, deep down I'M A LOYAL BUT THRIFTY LOTTERY PLAYER.  If you have noticed, i always try to convince my fellow LP players to play one line per game.  I really feel that it is the smart way to play over the long-term. Slow and Steady wins the race.  Keep playing your one line and you will eventually win big time.  THE SECRET TO WIN THE LOTTERY IS NOT BY BUYING MULTIPLE TICKETS. THE REAL SECRET IS TO WIN BY JUST BEING A PLAYER.  and there is no better way than betting $1QP per drawing or 1 line because some lotteries cost more than a $1 to pay, like powerball power play $2.

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: May 13, 2010, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

mr thrifty, your post is a no-brainer, you cannot win unless you play, we already know that, so what is the point?

PS - 'slow and steady wins the race'.  Then how do explain office pools that win with many tickets purchased?