Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 2:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Jackpot or 16 Again

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 7 years ago by jacal5.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Would you rather win a sizeable Jackpot or be 16 again.

Jackpot [ 39 ]  [67.24%]
16 Again [ 19 ]  [32.76%]
Total Valid Votes [ 58 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  

United States
Member #1826
July 11, 2003
2645 Posts
Posted: May 14, 2010, 3:17 am - IP Logged

My life sucked when I was 16, I'll take the jackpot.

(insert signature here)

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
    Dump Water Florida
    United States
    Member #380
    June 5, 2002
    3104 Posts
    Posted: May 14, 2010, 4:53 am - IP Logged

Why should sports work any better? Since you weren't there the first time around things will obviously be different the second time around. The only question is how different. Not that there's any way to be certain, but it's a pretty safe bet that things would be different enough that betting on sports would be far from a sure thing. General trends might be a pretty safe bet, so doing very well in the stock market might be very likely.

The more important detail that we don't have, is how much knowledge you'd take back with you. Will you be 16 with the knowledge (and wisdom) you have now, would you retain your basic knowledge but not know the (future) history, or would you return with essentially the same knowledge as all the other 16 year olds?

Even assuming the latter, what's the downside of going back and being 16 again? Depending on how old you are now you get to add 10, 20, maybe 40 years to your life. Many of those years get added to the prime of your life, instead of the end of your life. Is there any reason to think things wouldn't be just as good the 2nd time around? From a purely selfish point of view there seems to be a lot of potential upside.

Of course it would mean giving up whatever you've got now, and also taking whatever you give to others. That means it comes down to what you have to live for here and now compared to what you might have to live for then. If you don't have obligations and don't have good reason to expect that you've done much better than you should have expected to, in many ways you'd literally be deciding on the opportunity of a lifetime.

According to the lottery pamphlet you can't do anything that would alter the future in any meaningful way.  You can't win a lottery jackpot someone else was recorded as winning nor reduce their jackpot by winning a draw that would have rolled over nor buy all of the first stock offerings of Apple and Microsoft, etc.  everything must be in moderation.  You can buy a max of 1% of any stock or win a Pick-3 daily prize. 

Otherwise Cyberdyne will have Skynet send an agent back to eliminate the threat to the future. 

BobP

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
      Member #47420
      November 4, 2006
      3930 Posts
      Posted: May 15, 2010, 5:56 am - IP Logged

My life sucked when I was 16, I'll take the jackpot.

Great answer..To the point..

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
        Dallas, TX
        United States
        Member #60284
        April 12, 2008
        3856 Posts
        Posted: May 22, 2010, 5:51 am - IP Logged

Jackpot.

Being 16 isn't all that fun, gotta be 21+ to have any fun, 18 the minimum.

Dump Water Florida
          United States
          Member #380
          June 5, 2002
          3104 Posts
          Posted: May 23, 2010, 4:13 am - IP Logged

Jackpot.

Being 16 isn't all that fun, gotta be 21+ to have any fun, 18 the minimum.

WHAT !!! You're not going to the prom ???  Never wished you were back in high school knowing what you do now, with a car and money, at least more money then flipp'n burgers paid.   BobP

Ever wonder how many LP members have the brand from a fry basket on the back of their hand to the extent they can work out their Pick-3 tic-tac-toe plays?

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
            Midlands, SC
            United States
            Member #69698
            January 14, 2009
            303 Posts
            Posted: May 23, 2010, 4:33 am - IP Logged

As awkward, nerdy and bullied as I was in school?  I'd never wish to go through that again.  I would take 100,000 or less rather than go back to those days!

victorl3ichiban's avatar - georgemichael
              san jose
              United States
              Member #53761
              July 20, 2007
              277 Posts
              Posted: May 23, 2010, 5:40 am - IP Logged

I never went to the prom since I could not afford it. I rather win the lotto in this case. I really need money as of now for medical bills and debt.

United States
                Member #171
                April 7, 2002
                181 Posts
                Posted: May 23, 2010, 7:35 am - IP Logged

I would definitely take the lottery jackpot.  Who wants to be 16 again in this world?  At least when I was in high school I could walk down the halls of the school and surrounding neighborhood without being afraid of being attacked by a gang or a crazed shooter (domestic terrorist),  I could kiss a cute boy without worrying if I would get cancer if he was carrying HPV (human papilloma virus) in his saliva or on his skin and not be forced to get Gardasil injections(with possible side effects) just to have human contact.  Back in the day I could dream about studying for a wonderful career and if I worked hard enough I would have nice things and be able to travel to wonderful places.  Today, if you work hard enough, your hard earned money  is taken away to pay for bank and Wall St. crooks, and the have-nots, and forget about travel, you have to worry about being blown up whenever you step onto an airliner.  Today's school's (at least in NY) are all about stress and passing the state tests, all the fun and creativity has been taken out of learning, just like most of the fun and freedoms we had in the past have been taken out of our lives now.

ccouncil117's avatar - Lottery-010.jpg
                  L I
                  United States
                  Member #88051
                  March 9, 2010
                  5 Posts
                  Posted: May 23, 2010, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

amen to thatCheers

United States
                    Member #171
                    April 7, 2002
                    181 Posts
                    Posted: May 23, 2010, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Just by coincidence, I was talking to my 15 year old neice this afternoon and she brought up her high school.  She wants to take certain courses offered to her in the next school year (10th grade), but she was told there are too many girls in those courses who belong to gangs and start fights with the other girls, so she cannot take advantage of those courses in the field she wanted to pursue for her career because she is afraid of them.

Who wants be to 16 again?   Not me, that's for sure, I probably wouldn't even make it to middle age if I was 16 now, there is too much stress, violence, STD's, etc.

stephi's avatar - winifrid
                      rural lowcountry, south carolina
                      United States
                      Member #31677
                      February 2, 2006
                      196 Posts
                      Posted: May 23, 2010, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

The Jackpot. My age doesn't matter to me. My age only matters to other people who meet me. I am 30 now and I am pretty sure I am over that nonsense age era.

Dump Water Florida
                        United States
                        Member #380
                        June 5, 2002
                        3104 Posts
                        Posted: May 23, 2010, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

Just by coincidence, I was talking to my 15 year old neice this afternoon and she brought up her high school.  She wants to take certain courses offered to her in the next school year (10th grade), but she was told there are too many girls in those courses who belong to gangs and start fights with the other girls, so she cannot take advantage of those courses in the field she wanted to pursue for her career because she is afraid of them.

Who wants be to 16 again?   Not me, that's for sure, I probably wouldn't even make it to middle age if I was 16 now, there is too much stress, violence, STD's, etc.

You wouldn't be 16 now, you'd be 16 when you were 16.  Don't like 16, you could try slipping the time machine tec a grand from your 100 grand to make it 18 or 21, whatever works for you. 

The real question is whether you'd be happier and better off with a hundred grand back when or now with 10 million or whatever.    In the 50-60's you could buy a nice new house and car for around thirty grand in an area that would still be nice today.   If you aren't healthy now, maybe you could avoid whatever made you ill, worth a try dodging that bullet? 

BobP

The future isn't what it used to be.  Yogi

United States
                          Member #171
                          April 7, 2002
                          181 Posts
                          Posted: May 23, 2010, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

No, I wouldn't want to go back to being 16 even when I was 16, even though life was a little better in the 60's for teens than it is now, socially speaking than is, there were too many drugged students, so I had little choice when it came to making quality friends.  I still live in the same house that I grew up in during the 50's, 60's etc.  that cost $32,000, only I had to buy it from my parents in 2003, for many times what they paid for it, and the neighborhood is still wonderful today.

I am still relatively healthy, but I was in a car accident when I was 30 which wasn't my fault, and have had chronic back pain ever since, so if I could go back and avoid the day of the accident I might be tempted, I see what you mean now about going back to the past and changing things like bad health, bad events, etc. some things like good health are worth much more than money.

Good Luck to All