Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 11:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Poll: Luck

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Delta Draw.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Do you believe in luck?

Definitely [ 8 ]  [21.62%]
It's unlucky not to [ 1 ]  [2.70%]
Have seen things that make me say yes [ 8 ]  [21.62%]
No, things are what they are [ 9 ]  [24.32%]
Some people are luckier than others [ 2 ]  [5.41%]
The luck factor counts more than anything else [ 1 ]  [2.70%]
We thrive on it: Lucky 7, Lucky Dog, black cats... [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
For others ues, for me no [ 2 ]  [5.41%]
For me yes, for others no [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Other [ 6 ]  [16.22%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10390 Posts
Posted: June 5, 2010, 12:53 am - IP Logged

Do you believe in luck?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
    Member #47420
    November 4, 2006
    3930 Posts
    Posted: June 5, 2010, 1:12 am - IP Logged

Do you believe in luck?

Let tiggs think about this one..Does tiggs believe in luck...aaaaaaaahhhh YES!..Lottery is nothing but luck be it good or bad..Next question...

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: June 5, 2010, 2:03 am - IP Logged

Do you believe in luck?

Yes, I do. I also think that some people are luckier then others.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        51095 Posts
        Posted: June 5, 2010, 9:14 am - IP Logged

Luck: Favors the Prepared Mind!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: June 5, 2010, 9:28 am - IP Logged

Yes, I do. I also think that some people are luckier then others.

I Agree!

There are people who seem to be born with a horseshoe stuck where the sun don't shine. I have known a few of them and the funny thing is that these people don't seem that interested in taking advantage of that trait. Another trait they seem to share is frugality. The ones I have known have ranged from frugal to outright miserly.

For the rest of us I believe luck comes sporadically. The trick is to be there and receptive of it and available to it's bestowal on its timing which takes no heed of and pays no respect or even attention to ours.

That is part of the reason I don't wait for the jackpot to rise above a certain level before I buy a ticket. Because that day the Mega is starting at 12 Million might be the day my luck comes around and I wanna make sure I'm there to receive it.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

CutlassBob's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
            Harrison Township Michigan
            United States
            Member #90088
            April 21, 2010
            4265 Posts
            Posted: June 5, 2010, 9:45 am - IP Logged

I don't believe in luck, i do believe lucky folks are just in the right place at the right time. Something to do with that whole space-time continuum thingy.

CutlassBob

"You can't handle the truth!" Nicholson.

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
              Member #88435
              March 16, 2010
              397 Posts
              Posted: June 5, 2010, 10:02 am - IP Logged

I have seen things that make me say yes.

I read you can make your own luck by changing your routine, reading books you normally wouldn't, going with your gut instinct and just making yourself available for opportunities.

$1,000,000

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                51095 Posts
                Posted: June 5, 2010, 10:49 am - IP Logged

I don't believe in luck, i do believe lucky folks are just in the right place at the right time. Something to do with that whole space-time continuum thingy.

CutlassBob

Luck: Good or Bad Fortune in life caused by chance, and happens beyond a person's control.

Luck Happens: Whether One Believies in Luck or Not!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

New York,
                  Panama
                  Member #73078
                  April 4, 2009
                  3490 Posts
                  Posted: June 5, 2010, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

Do you believe in luck?

The Harder I Pray and work, the more Blessed and Highly Favored I Get, some call that  "Luck" If it works for them ok.

So as for me, do I rely on, or believe "Luck"???  No! No! NO!!!  I have SOMEONE that is GREATER than  "Luck"!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

NASHVILLE, TENN
                    United States
                    Member #33372
                    February 20, 2006
                    1044 Posts
                    Posted: June 5, 2010, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

Luck: Favors the Prepared Mind!

I agree.  Luck and being prepared or educated seem to go hand in hand. 

Bill Gates had both.  He was lucky in that IBM asked him if they could use his operating system for their PC Junior line.  He was prepared because he had an operating system that he was using on his personal computer.

Usually we say "That man was in the right place at the right time!" and let the matter go.  What we don't consider is the fact he (whoever "he" might be) put himself there, had the education to see the potential in front of him, and knew what needed to be done to be successful.

CutlassBob's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
                      Harrison Township Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #90088
                      April 21, 2010
                      4265 Posts
                      Posted: June 5, 2010, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

Luck: Good or Bad Fortune in life caused by chance, and happens beyond a person's control.

Luck Happens: Whether One Believies in Luck or Not!

Luck Happens: Ya it's Called Instinct, No Definition Needed.

CutlassBob

"You can't handle the truth!" Nicholson.

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                        Santa Ana
                        United States
                        Member #71159
                        February 20, 2009
                        651 Posts
                        Posted: June 5, 2010, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

Do you believe in luck?

Yes, I believe in luck as well as positive thinking; although lately, I've been put to the test when it comes to playing the lottery, especially with the CA Lottery.  It's all about timing and being in the right place, at the exact right time and I know my time is coming very soon to win the big jackpotBanana

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                          Member #47420
                          November 4, 2006
                          3930 Posts
                          Posted: June 5, 2010, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

There are people who seem to be born with a horseshoe stuck where the sun don't shine. I have known a few of them and the funny thing is that these people don't seem that interested in taking advantage of that trait. Another trait they seem to share is frugality. The ones I have known have ranged from frugal to outright miserly.

For the rest of us I believe luck comes sporadically. The trick is to be there and receptive of it and available to it's bestowal on its timing which takes no heed of and pays no respect or even attention to ours.

That is part of the reason I don't wait for the jackpot to rise above a certain level before I buy a ticket. Because that day the Mega is starting at 12 Million might be the day my luck comes around and I wanna make sure I'm there to receive it.

Don't be scared ridge but tiggs agrees with your post 100%..YIKES!!!...

United States
                            Member #75358
                            June 1, 2009
                            5345 Posts
                            Posted: June 5, 2010, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

I agree.  Luck and being prepared or educated seem to go hand in hand. 

Bill Gates had both.  He was lucky in that IBM asked him if they could use his operating system for their PC Junior line.  He was prepared because he had an operating system that he was using on his personal computer.

Usually we say "That man was in the right place at the right time!" and let the matter go.  What we don't consider is the fact he (whoever "he" might be) put himself there, had the education to see the potential in front of him, and knew what needed to be done to be successful.

Bill gates actually stole the idea  from Xerox when he was at a computer fair in the 80s I believe, maybe late 70s, I forget.

Xerox had a monitor display showing a raw version of Windows, little cubicle Icons.

I get this info from a movie made years ago, which I watched, about his life. Whether it's true to the fact, I don't know, but I believe it was true. Every other aspect of his life portrayed in the movie was pretty close.

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
                              Member #88435
                              March 16, 2010
                              397 Posts
                              Posted: June 5, 2010, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

Bill gates actually stole the idea  from Xerox when he was at a computer fair in the 80s I believe, maybe late 70s, I forget.

Xerox had a monitor display showing a raw version of Windows, little cubicle Icons.

I get this info from a movie made years ago, which I watched, about his life. Whether it's true to the fact, I don't know, but I believe it was true. Every other aspect of his life portrayed in the movie was pretty close.

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=A_Rich_Neighbor_Named_Xerox.txt

"You're ripping us off!", Steve shouted, raising his voice even higher. "I trusted you, and now you're stealing from us!" 

But Bill Gates just stood there coolly, looking Steve directly in the eye, before starting to speak in his squeaky voice. 

"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Computer,_Inc._v._Microsoft_Corporation

Midway through the suit,  Xerox filed a lawsuit against Apple claiming Apple had infringed copyrights Xerox held on its GUIs. Xerox had invited the  Macintosh design team to view their GUI computers at the  PARC research lab (the story that Apple had given Xerox Board members stock in exchange for access to the research performed at PARC is a legend because the truth is that Xerox did, at one time, own stocks in Apple but they were purchased as an investment and sold later)[3]; these visits had been very influential on the development of the Macintosh GUI. Xerox's lawsuit appeared to be a defensive move to ensure that if Apple v. Microsoft established that "look and feel" was copyrightable, then Xerox would be the primary beneficiary, rather than Apple. The Xerox case was dismissed because the three year  statute of limitations had passed.[2]

No good guys here with Apple & Microsoft.

$1,000,000