Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Poll: Luck

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Delta Draw.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Do you believe in luck?

Definitely [ 8 ]  [21.62%]
It's unlucky not to [ 1 ]  [2.70%]
Have seen things that make me say yes [ 8 ]  [21.62%]
No, things are what they are [ 9 ]  [24.32%]
Some people are luckier than others [ 2 ]  [5.41%]
The luck factor counts more than anything else [ 1 ]  [2.70%]
We thrive on it: Lucky 7, Lucky Dog, black cats... [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
For others ues, for me no [ 2 ]  [5.41%]
For me yes, for others no [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Other [ 6 ]  [16.22%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  

United States
Member #75358
June 1, 2009
5345 Posts
Posted: June 5, 2010, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

I don't believe in luck. There have been good times and bad times in my life, mostly bad in the early stages. Now as I grow older, other problems may rear their ugly heads. It never ends....

The people you read about winning multiple times are just caught in the stats that represent unique wins. You can divide the stats department into many ways, but there are 3 major groups you can classify them into. At one end of the spectrum, you have losers who couldn't win If they tried. Then you have a middle ground type who wins enough to keep him or her interested to keep going. Then you have the lucky dog, who can't lose If they intentionally went out of their way. Of course there are gray areas in between those 3 groups.

I guess the 20,000 children who die in 3rd world countries everyday, fall into category 1. They lost the lottery of life before the age of 10. This group doesn't even have a clue what a lottery is.

The middle of the road are blue collar folks who won't go broke if they spend 5 to 10 bucks a week, or more...

The last category only have to play a QP in the middle of a tornado on Friday the 13th, and 17 rhinos stampeding thru his livingroom, and still hit it big.

Luck to me involves all 3 components.The good, bad and the ugly...lol

It's like a thunderstorm in Florida. When they say scattered thunderstorms in the news, all it means is that you may get rained on, depending on what part of town you were in. Luck?

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: June 5, 2010, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=A_Rich_Neighbor_Named_Xerox.txt

"You're ripping us off!", Steve shouted, raising his voice even higher. "I trusted you, and now you're stealing from us!" 

But Bill Gates just stood there coolly, looking Steve directly in the eye, before starting to speak in his squeaky voice. 

"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Computer,_Inc._v._Microsoft_Corporation

Midway through the suit,  Xerox filed a lawsuit against Apple claiming Apple had infringed copyrights Xerox held on its GUIs. Xerox had invited the  Macintosh design team to view their GUI computers at the  PARC research lab (the story that Apple had given Xerox Board members stock in exchange for access to the research performed at PARC is a legend because the truth is that Xerox did, at one time, own stocks in Apple but they were purchased as an investment and sold later)[3]; these visits had been very influential on the development of the Macintosh GUI. Xerox's lawsuit appeared to be a defensive move to ensure that if Apple v. Microsoft established that "look and feel" was copyrightable, then Xerox would be the primary beneficiary, rather than Apple. The Xerox case was dismissed because the three year  statute of limitations had passed.[2]

No good guys here with Apple & Microsoft.

You seem well versed on this subject.

Interesting, after all that, the statue of limitations won the day. I never knew about that part.

So was Bill lucky, or he just happened to use his wits and be in the right place?

Good thread...

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
      Member #88435
      March 16, 2010
      397 Posts
      Posted: June 5, 2010, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

You seem well versed on this subject.

Interesting, after all that, the statue of limitations won the day. I never knew about that part.

So was Bill lucky, or he just happened to use his wits and be in the right place?

Good thread...

^

At the end of the day you just have greedy people being greedy...some say greed is good...guess it is if you are Bill Gates & Steve Jobs. LOL

$1,000,000

victorl3ichiban's avatar - georgemichael
        san jose
        United States
        Member #53761
        July 20, 2007
        277 Posts
        Posted: June 6, 2010, 1:07 am - IP Logged

If Luck do really exist, I want to feel how luck feels like.

United States
          Member #10532
          January 16, 2005
          58 Posts
          Posted: June 6, 2010, 3:01 am - IP Logged

no i believe in skills and hard work

Norfolk,VA
            United States
            Member #83225
            December 2, 2009
            757 Posts
            Posted: June 6, 2010, 4:28 am - IP Logged

I have seen things that make me say yes.

I read you can make your own luck by changing your routine, reading books you normally wouldn't, going with your gut instinct and just making yourself available for opportunities.

I Agree!

''YOU CAN PAY FOR SCHOOL BUT, YOU CAN'T BUY CLASS''Thumbs Up

NASHVILLE, TENN
              United States
              Member #33372
              February 20, 2006
              1044 Posts
              Posted: June 6, 2010, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

Bill gates actually stole the idea  from Xerox when he was at a computer fair in the 80s I believe, maybe late 70s, I forget.

Xerox had a monitor display showing a raw version of Windows, little cubicle Icons.

I get this info from a movie made years ago, which I watched, about his life. Whether it's true to the fact, I don't know, but I believe it was true. Every other aspect of his life portrayed in the movie was pretty close.

Gates, IMHO, did steal the Windows idea (if ideas could be copyrighted) but he did not steal the DOS.  That was all his own.  He was smart enough to ask for a royalty rather than a one time payment.  IBM figured they would sell about 400 units a year.  Gates figured that once the public discovered the computer, there would be a whole lot more sold than IBM thought.  Gates was right.  IBM was wrong.

I firmly believe if IBM knew how popular the Personel Computer would be, they would have used proprietry parts and not off-the-shelf parts, thereby mantaining a firm stranglehold on the PC market.  Because IBM used common, easily available parts, anyone can build a PC.

United States
                Member #81843
                October 31, 2009
                856 Posts
                Posted: June 6, 2010, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

Luck is for people who never understand cause and effect that is often not perceived, but rather hidden.

It is a unharnessable power to it’s subscribers and though they follow acts to improve their luck, consistent results from their belief fail them. Most observations are after the fact and luck is attributed as the unseen, uncontrollable whim of fate. It is not unlike a Greek myth in trying to explain events to goat hearders by the unlearned. It is one of those things you take on faith but it cannot be applied for daily results with repeatability. A dumb idol.

DD

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10351 Posts
                  Posted: June 7, 2010, 12:36 am - IP Logged

DD

"....consistent results from their belief fail them."

OK, I'll say the same thing about lottery systems for jackpot games.

By the way, those who truly understand luck know that there is not a thing you can do to improve it, you have it or you don't.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                    Member #81843
                    October 31, 2009
                    856 Posts
                    Posted: June 7, 2010, 4:07 am - IP Logged

DD

"....consistent results from their belief fail them."

OK, I'll say the same thing about lottery systems for jackpot games.

By the way, those who truly understand luck know that there is not a thing you can do to improve it, you have it or you don't.

Cointoss,

True Systems are not a belief but action based on whatever information one uses to make decisions. Not a whim, not a wish and based on facts like statistics which BTW is from the science of event observation. The Greeks used observation found in our modern scientific method do describe nature and events. They filled in the unknown with stories and superstition. So Mr. Modern man, why be subject to old wives tales and fables? You talk in absolutes about the topic yet it is purely BS. Unfounded except for the fools that still blindly follow it.

Mega thinktank has more sense than you because he is not using your flawed belief. You truly understand luck? I doubt that, but what it has taught you is learned helplessness. You are subject to a power you do not understand because you believe in it. Get a new God. Events happen and you can be confident that because of the odds, anyone expressing a positive on winning is part of the statistics and you can poo-poo them. You know as well as any that luck has nothing to do with saying "you will likely lose because the odds are not in your favor". The odds CT, not the gods.

How’s your luck holding up , BTW? I would say you are unlucky because your belief system fails you, but I know better than to say that. Why try to understand something that cannot be harnessed?

If your luck is so well understood, then go and use it and show us all how your system/BELIEF is superior to MTT. It makes no sense that you are lucky because you have not won a jackpot. So why not abandon it and try to be a doer and not a wisher? Face it, you are unlucky. You are resined to being a loser.

DD

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10351 Posts
                      Posted: June 7, 2010, 10:21 am - IP Logged

There are no true systems for lottery jackpots, only shysters who try to convince people they have one, and peddle it, trying to raise funds to play more.

As for all your personal attacks, that's only proof you have no real points to make and are taking stabs in the dark with your examples.

Most people who win a jackpot played a QP. Those numbers are drawn. Thus they win millions. Luck, nothing else.

If it's not a QP the fact that the selected numbers are drawn is still luck.

I really do hope you hit a jackpot with a QP so you can tell us all about how nuck skill went into it.

I doubt that you know what a sniper is on a discussion board but you're doing a pretty good job of being one.

Good Bye.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                        Member #47420
                        November 4, 2006
                        3930 Posts
                        Posted: June 7, 2010, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

There are no true systems for lottery jackpots, only shysters who try to convince people they have one, and peddle it, trying to raise funds to play more.

As for all your personal attacks, that's only proof you have no real points to make and are taking stabs in the dark with your examples.

Most people who win a jackpot played a QP. Those numbers are drawn. Thus they win millions. Luck, nothing else.

I really do hope you hit a jackpot with a QP so you can tell us all about how nuck skill went into it.

I doubt that you know what a sniper is on a discussion board but you're doing a pretty good job of being one.

Good Bye.

tiggs has said this many many times but you put it into words so we can understand it..tiggs seconds this post...

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19828 Posts
                          Posted: June 7, 2010, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

Good Bye.

The fact that no one has ever proved they help players win more than players buying QP doesn't mean systems don't exit.  Wheeling and playing a group of numbers, over due, hot or other wise are systems.  The fact that there are shysters selling them is proof that players are looking for easy short cuts for winning a lot of money and are willing to pay for them even though common sense should tell them if they worked that way they wouldn't be for sale.  Systems can allow players to cover only the numbers they chose within parameters they chose.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10351 Posts
                            Posted: June 7, 2010, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

The fact that no one has ever proved they help players win more than players buying QP doesn't mean systems don't exit.  Wheeling and playing a group of numbers, over due, hot or other wise are systems.  The fact that there are shysters selling them is proof that players are looking for easy short cuts for winning a lot of money and are willing to pay for them even though common sense should tell them if they worked that way they wouldn't be for sale.  Systems can allow players to cover only the numbers they chose within parameters they chose.

RJOh,

And if those chosen numbers within those chosen parameters are drawn it's still luck.

Lep

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19828 Posts
                              Posted: June 7, 2010, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

RJOh,

And if those chosen numbers within those chosen parameters are drawn it's still luck.

Luck is just a word to describe the fortunes or circumstances of players after a drawing, it doesn't describe the drawings or the process of winning and is only used if someone has the good fortune of winning.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking