Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What Prize Do You Focus On?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Delta Draw.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Which wins do you focus on the most?

My focus is on Jack Pot Wins. [ 10 ]  [25.00%]
My focus is on Lower Tier Wins. [ 9 ]  [22.50%]
Any win is ok with me. [ 21 ]  [52.50%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Monkey Butt, USA
United States
Member #54569
August 23, 2007
1124 Posts
Posted: July 4, 2010, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

Because............

Monkey Butt, USA
    United States
    Member #54569
    August 23, 2007
    1124 Posts
    Posted: July 4, 2010, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

Because............

My focus is on the lower tier prizes because:

All wins less than $600 are tax free and I can receive cash from my local retailer.

All wins a million dollars or less I can go to my local office and get a check for the full amount.

It's the lower tier wins that pulls our perverbial irons out of the fire. It's the lower tier wins that bridges the gap of check to check. It's the jackpot wins that seems to bring grief and headaches to the forefront.

When you get those lower tier wins the odds of a someone expecting you to pay their bills are low because one of the first things we do with that money is pay on our bills or treat ourselves.

But get a jackpot win, now you have to make changes in your life that may not make you too happy.

msbkny's avatar - 527216 3989976104265_80892509_n.jpg
      brooklyn, ny
      United States
      Member #89790
      April 15, 2010
      2344 Posts
      Posted: July 4, 2010, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

All wins less than $600 are tax free and I can receive cash from my local retailer.

All wins a million dollars or less I can go to my local office and get a check for the full amount.

It's the lower tier wins that pulls our perverbial irons out of the fire. It's the lower tier wins that bridges the gap of check to check. It's the jackpot wins that seems to bring grief and headaches to the forefront.

When you get those lower tier wins the odds of a someone expecting you to pay their bills are low because one of the first things we do with that money is pay on our bills or treat ourselves.

But get a jackpot win, now you have to make changes in your life that may not make you too happy.

I Agree!

CA
        United States
        Member #84266
        December 26, 2009
        410 Posts
        Posted: July 4, 2010, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

Bring on the jack pot!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: July 4, 2010, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

Of course I focus on winning, but I am happy when I win anything. Especially, if I at least get my money back.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
            Texas
            United States
            Member #92330
            June 5, 2010
            887 Posts
            Posted: July 4, 2010, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

While I spend more time thinking about winning the jackpot, any win would be nice.

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
              Illinois
              United States
              Member #82001
              November 3, 2009
              890 Posts
              Posted: July 4, 2010, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

I 'll be happy with lower tier as well.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19826 Posts
                Posted: July 4, 2010, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

The only way you can be sure you won't mess up and win a prize that's more than $600 is to only play pick3 combinations one time per ticket.  If you are playing any of the other games while it's not likely players have been known to win more than $600.  If that happens then you can either choose to accept the prize and pay the taxes, give the winning ticket to someone who doesn't mind paying the taxes or just throw the winning ticket away and continue on as if it never happened.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

New York,
                  Panama
                  Member #73078
                  April 4, 2009
                  3490 Posts
                  Posted: July 4, 2010, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

Because............

any win is a win, however everyone knows, I have a Love thing going with Pick 3 and Pick 4,  I am also just working on Pick 5 with a friend!  so that's it

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #86154
                    January 30, 2010
                    1648 Posts
                    Posted: July 4, 2010, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

The only thing I focus on is hitting on Pick 3 & 4 when the opportunity is definitely there. When I can't find what I need on one, I start looking around for the other. In my honest opinion, the lower tier games are best when the goal is generating consistent money.

L.L.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: July 4, 2010, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

My goal is the Jackpot but failing that, a secondary win is always nice.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10351 Posts
                        Posted: July 5, 2010, 1:02 am - IP Logged

To me the idea is to win a jackpot.

Exept for the 5 + 0 and 4 + 1 prizes in Powerball and Mega Millions, the rest of the lower tier prizes come close to being insults.

The 5 of 6 prizes in Pixk 6 games are jokes. As an example, the odds against 4 + 0 in Powerball are 1:19,030 and it pays a whopping $100.

The lotteries know that most of the lower tier prizes except for 5 + 0 and 4 + 1 go right back into the lottery.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

New York,
                          Panama
                          Member #73078
                          April 4, 2009
                          3490 Posts
                          Posted: July 5, 2010, 7:40 am - IP Logged

To me the idea is to win a jackpot.

Exept for the 5 + 0 and 4 + 1 prizes in Powerball and Mega Millions, the rest of the lower tier prizes come close to being insults.

The 5 of 6 prizes in Pixk 6 games are jokes. As an example, the odds against 4 + 0 in Powerball are 1:19,030 and it pays a whopping $100.

The lotteries know that most of the lower tier prizes except for 5 + 0 and 4 + 1 go right back into the lottery.

Coin, with all due respect, sir!! I love to be insulted like that!! The more often the better!Hyper

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                            Member #59354
                            March 13, 2008
                            3970 Posts
                            Posted: July 5, 2010, 8:53 am - IP Logged

Because............

PERDUE

Only the $$$(BIG ONE)$$$,   but hope for enough smaller ones so that my playing cost me nothing. 

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

Raven62's avatar - binary
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #17843
                              June 28, 2005
                              49725 Posts
                              Posted: July 5, 2010, 9:33 am - IP Logged

Question: Do I Have to Pay Taxes on Lottery Prizes Worth Less Than $600?

Answer: Yes. It's a common Lottery myth that prizes worth less than $600 are exempt from taxes. In the United States you have to pay taxes on all prizes, no matter what the value.

www.lotterypost.com/news/79646

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!