Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 2:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Quantum Physics affecting the lottery?

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 6 years ago by taxijohn.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
CA
United States
Member #84266
December 26, 2009
410 Posts
Posted: August 15, 2010, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

Yeah...being attached to your set of numbers is not a good idea because if you ever forget to play and your numbers get drawn, you'll feel like shooting yourself and you would have to change your numbers since the old ones will probably never show up again.

Luminus's avatar - ouskuu

United States
    Member #51269
    April 3, 2007
    529 Posts
    Posted: August 15, 2010, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

Yeah...being attached to your set of numbers is not a good idea because if you ever forget to play and your numbers get drawn, you'll feel like shooting yourself and you would have to change your numbers since the old ones will probably never show up again.

That would suck big time.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19903 Posts
      Posted: August 15, 2010, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Well it is possible that every decision we make changes things and we will never know otherwise. I would be out driving and often times I would pass by a liquor store or a gas station and think about buying a ticket when I already have one but end up not buying. And when I check my losing ticket I would wonder if I would have won if I had bought the ticket that I passed up.

Probably someone was in that liquor store or gas station buying the tickets that you didn't buy and if they didn't win then you wouldn't have either. 

I use to buy ticket misprints thinking they might be a winner.  Well guess what?  Those tickets were no more a winner than the tickets I bought.  Now when a clerk tells me about some misprints for sale, I say thanks but no thanks and never worry if I missed out on a winner.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

CA
        United States
        Member #84266
        December 26, 2009
        410 Posts
        Posted: August 15, 2010, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

Another thing is timing. Say if a machine hasn't been used for the day yet and someone chose a QP at 2 pm, would the numbers be the same if it happened at 4 pm and no one else used the machine??

konane's avatar - wallace
          Atlanta, GA
          United States
          Member #1265
          March 13, 2003
          3351 Posts
          Posted: August 15, 2010, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

I think this is true.  That's one of the reasons I play QP's now.  I don't want to be 'attached' to the numbers in any way.

You're 'attached' to them when you're concentrating on or 'observing' them.  When you discard them you *release* them and in doing so they show up in draws because you'd previously been 'observing' them thinking they might show up.  It's a quantum thing that happens to me frequently in Maddog's Challenges.  Big Grin

Good luck to everyone!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19903 Posts
            Posted: August 15, 2010, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

Another thing is timing. Say if a machine hasn't been used for the day yet and someone chose a QP at 2 pm, would the numbers be the same if it happened at 4 pm and no one else used the machine??

I read once that a new seed number is entered every time the terminal computer generates a combination.  If that seed number is generated by the internal clock like regular computers can do then it wouldn't make any difference.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
              Member #93947
              July 10, 2010
              2180 Posts
              Posted: August 16, 2010, 12:27 am - IP Logged

I read once that a new seed number is entered every time the terminal computer generates a combination.  If that seed number is generated by the internal clock like regular computers can do then it wouldn't make any difference.

RJOh,

I would guess most states are doing as you describe, which is good.  What I'm more concerned about are the computer generated results. If the winning Draws are truly random, it doesn't matter much how the tickets are generated.  I only seed my RNG (A Pseudo Random Sequencer) once at the beginning of a run, but I call it internally a random number of times using the system clock (as you suggested above) before returning the current RN to the calling program.

Have you checked out my latest backtester run showing a side by side comparison of buying the Winning Pick-3s from 1, 2, and 3 Draws ago?

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/218174/1743213

--Jimmy4164

United States
                Member #51269
                April 3, 2007
                529 Posts
                Posted: August 16, 2010, 12:40 am - IP Logged

It happened again.  For the Take 5 in NY for August 15, I removed the number 39 out of my group and guess what number came out?  Frakkin' quantum physics!

CA
                  United States
                  Member #84266
                  December 26, 2009
                  410 Posts
                  Posted: August 16, 2010, 1:40 am - IP Logged

It happened again.  For the Take 5 in NY for August 15, I removed the number 39 out of my group and guess what number came out?  Frakkin' quantum physics!

Try doing the opposite then. If your first instinct is to remove a number, don't. Lol

United States
                    Member #51269
                    April 3, 2007
                    529 Posts
                    Posted: August 16, 2010, 2:03 am - IP Logged

Try doing the opposite then. If your first instinct is to remove a number, don't. Lol

I thought about that, but I'm removing the number for a reason.  I'll resist the urge next time and see what happens.

CA
                      United States
                      Member #84266
                      December 26, 2009
                      410 Posts
                      Posted: August 16, 2010, 4:12 am - IP Logged

I thought about that, but I'm removing the number for a reason.  I'll resist the urge next time and see what happens.

Then why not do both? Get 2 tickets 1 with the number(s) and 1 without.

wheeltowin's avatar - bee
                        Peoria IL
                        United States
                        Member #94520
                        July 21, 2010
                        63 Posts
                        Posted: August 16, 2010, 8:27 am - IP Logged

I have that odd thought once in a while, like maybe if I'd played the same combo's that I came up with for the previous draw, instead of using the current number workout, I would have nailed it. I no longer torture myself in such a manner, I refuse to even look at my previous playslips. Could've, Should've, Would've, when the alien upstairs that seeded the human race determines that I've learned enough humilty living in the trenches of middle class america and shows his mug, BAM! Right in the kisser.

Seriously though, second guessing yourself will drive you nuts. See above statement.Surrender

Luck is when opportunity knocks and you answer.

United States
                          Member #51269
                          April 3, 2007
                          529 Posts
                          Posted: August 16, 2010, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

I can't do both.  My games are $40 and better.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3502 Posts
                            Posted: August 17, 2010, 11:00 am - IP Logged

You're obviously not removing it for the right reason. Of course that doesn't mean you're removing it for the wrong reason.

United States
                              Member #51269
                              April 3, 2007
                              529 Posts
                              Posted: August 17, 2010, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

You're obviously not removing it for the right reason. Of course that doesn't mean you're removing it for the wrong reason.

Well, if it really is Quantum Physics at work, no matter what group of numbers I remove, that group will have one of the winning numbers in it.