Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 7:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

retailers not validating sratch offs

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 6 years ago by jwhou.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
fieldysgrl98's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
cincinnati, ohio
United States
Member #79621
September 5, 2009
269 Posts
Posted: August 22, 2010, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

i was wondering are retailers suppost to validate lottery scratch offs before you buy them??  i buy sratch offs from a guy who doesn't validate them before you buy them so you HAVE to go back to his store to get your money.  and sometimes when you take them back he doesn't even scan them, he just asks you how much you won and gives you the money.  i think the guy might be running a scam.

grandmadec's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg
    Ohio
    United States
    Member #29819
    January 7, 2006
    1248 Posts
    Posted: August 22, 2010, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

He will have to validate them soon or when someone takes a winner elsewhere to cash in during the week the place you take it can call the lottery if it is not validated and the lottery will call him and tell him to validate it so winners can be cashed in.

Also retailers settle up time for ticket books sold for the week ends Sat at midnight and they have to pay for these books sold the beginning of the week with the lottery so he might be trying to delay payment until the next week for the tickets he has sold out because if he doesnot sell out the book until Sunday he does not have to pay for these tickets until the next week.  So that might be the case and he can sell the new book of tickets but he cannot cash them or validate the prize amount on lottery machine until he then validates this new book.

United States
      Member #83701
      December 13, 2009
      225 Posts
      Posted: August 29, 2010, 3:28 am - IP Logged

i was wondering are retailers suppost to validate lottery scratch offs before you buy them??  i buy sratch offs from a guy who doesn't validate them before you buy them so you HAVE to go back to his store to get your money.  and sometimes when you take them back he doesn't even scan them, he just asks you how much you won and gives you the money.  i think the guy might be running a scam.

That's a very clever scam.   Selling lottery tickets is a sure way to make money but only the government is allowed to sell lottery tickets.   By not activating the tickets, those tickets were never sold and he pockets the sales revenue, small prizes are not a big deal for him to cover and should the win be big enough that he couldn't cover it, he could still activate the ticket.   He is taking a risk because if he's doing this systematically then the lottery commission will detect that his sales are less than expected and should they investigate, there would be far fewer unsold stock on hand then there should be.   Of course, just like money laundering, if he keeps it to a small fraction of his overall sales, they may be none the wiser.

Some lottery commissions avoid this by having the delivery service scan the packs so that it's a two step activation process, the delivery man activates to indicate that it has reached the store and the retailer activates for sale, plus when the games close, the retailer is obliged to account for and return all outstanding tickets.

You should report him to the lottery commission.   A simple inquiry as to why winning the tickets purchased at that specific store can only be redeemed at that store should suffice.