Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much do you have to win in order to be...

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 6 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
victorl3ichiban's avatar - georgemichael
san jose
United States
Member #53761
July 20, 2007
277 Posts
Posted: September 14, 2010, 1:49 am - IP Logged

content??? satisfy? For me 20 or 30 million is enough.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3300 Posts
    Posted: September 14, 2010, 11:49 am - IP Logged

hell my purchase cost id be happy, now content, im human, ill never be content.  from the pension planner i looked at about $3.5mill would mean $50k a year  till im 85, indexed to inflation. of course thats counting on no more massive financial disasters. so maybe another mill to stuff under my bed incase of financial collapse.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
      Member #85338
      January 13, 2010
      143 Posts
      Posted: September 14, 2010, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

I think about this in the context of my life.....

It would pay off all of my debt, but it wouldn't bring back people I care about and if I'm not careful with any amount, I could lose those that I love (think Whitaker's granddaughter).  There are things in my life that I wish I could have done differently and can't go back to change that will always haunt me, so no amount would make up for that.

With that said, the amount would have to be enough for me to live off of, do things that are fulfilling without cutting into important times with family.

Time is money, but money can't always buy you time.

"It's not a matter of 'if,' but a matter of 'WHEN!!!'  "

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
        Member #32537
        February 12, 2006
        698 Posts
        Posted: September 15, 2010, 7:02 am - IP Logged

well it have to be able to buy me a gigantic mansion

and  at least 10 vehicles of my choosing.

plus being able to invest a large fortune for future generations

possibly several million travel the world over

on all said I've prefer 200+ million dollars cash

and even then,I think it's very much possible, I can always find the latest toy to buy

it's really never ending cycle of finding stuff to waste money on

I mean, frankly, I guess I would only need enough to live off the interest of ,at least enough for  food and small stuff like entertainment

besides that it's just spending money for fun and when it comes the fun. I'm never content

there can be end for the pursuit of fun

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
          Member #52345
          May 21, 2007
          2657 Posts
          Posted: September 15, 2010, 7:44 am - IP Logged

I think about this in the context of my life.....

It would pay off all of my debt, but it wouldn't bring back people I care about and if I'm not careful with any amount, I could lose those that I love (think Whitaker's granddaughter).  There are things in my life that I wish I could have done differently and can't go back to change that will always haunt me, so no amount would make up for that.

With that said, the amount would have to be enough for me to live off of, do things that are fulfilling without cutting into important times with family.

Time is money, but money can't always buy you time.

Roll Eyes and with that being said ......

http://www.cracked.com/article_17061_reminder-5-things-you-think-will-make-you-happy-but-wont.html

adelaide sa
            Australia
            Member #37136
            April 11, 2006
            3300 Posts
            Posted: September 15, 2010, 9:40 am - IP Logged

cool article, i liked the porcupine eating a bananna.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
              Member #52345
              May 21, 2007
              2657 Posts
              Posted: September 15, 2010, 10:19 am - IP Logged

cool article, i liked the porcupine eating a bananna.

took me a bit of time to re-locate and post the link to the article .....

but wealth isn't all its cracked up to be ...I just hope that who ever of us here @ LP actually gets that lucky

will be smart enough to put the money to good use and leave a lasting legacy behind

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: September 15, 2010, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

took me a bit of time to re-locate and post the link to the article .....

but wealth isn't all its cracked up to be ...I just hope that who ever of us here @ LP actually gets that lucky

will be smart enough to put the money to good use and leave a lasting legacy behind

"leave a lasting legacy behind"

I don't know if a Legacy would last that long.

But then, I've never been a big fan of Nissan anyway.

I'm sure a Mercedes would probably last a lot longer though.

But whatever the choice is, I'd make sure to get it rust-proofed.

And keep it in a garage.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3300 Posts
                  Posted: September 15, 2010, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

yeah some interesting facts in the article like the avg nigerian was happier than the avg westerner.

hehe i would be happy to if I was  scaming all that money from stupid rich westerners.

but really the point about adjusting you contentedness level based on how content you are.

and being biased by how well off you compatriots seem.

it  means when you win lotto move into a trailer park.

you will be feel more content than if you move into a luxuarious gated compound, where everyone owns a merc 500SL.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10348 Posts
                    Posted: September 15, 2010, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

joshuacloak,

To each their own but I never will understand the desire for a small fleet of cars. You can only be in one at a time. I figure that and a back up would do it.

hearsetrax,

Excellent point and link.

I forget who said it, but someone here once posted that when you ein a jackpot or come into any large sum of money by whatever means you just trade one set of problems for another......but we all want that chance, don't we.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #92330
                      June 5, 2010
                      887 Posts
                      Posted: September 16, 2010, 3:33 am - IP Logged

When it comes to people saying that money can't make someone happy I say "give me some millions and let me prove you wrong". I don't care what info they bring to the table whether it's studies, "facts" or random opinions. Millions plus me equals happy.

As for the amount I would need to be content... having $10 million after all taxes would be perfect.

And not sure about that article saying every rich person will always try to outdo their rich friends. I know some rich people and they aren't like that. The article seems to have some pretty poor thoughts (not just from the article linked but others on there). If I won $25+ million and moved to a really upscale neighborhood and hung out with all the rich people, there's no part of me that would go out and buy 2 Bugatti Veyron's if my neighbor had just bought one. I'd probably have the cheapest car of all of them and wouldn't care.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10348 Posts
                        Posted: September 16, 2010, 10:21 am - IP Logged

ttech10,

Some rich people look at lottery winners as a very low rung on the ladder of the noveau riche (new rich, new money). They figure the lotteryt winners didn't do anything to earn the money and will probably blow it.

While their conversations are about what they made their fortunes in - real estate, a product, manufacturing, investing, etc....the lottery winner is a total outsider.

I think we can say that the amount of money a jackpot winner wins takes a back seat to the amount of it they have held on to a few years down the road.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #92330
                          June 5, 2010
                          887 Posts
                          Posted: September 17, 2010, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

ttech10,

Some rich people look at lottery winners as a very low rung on the ladder of the noveau riche (new rich, new money). They figure the lotteryt winners didn't do anything to earn the money and will probably blow it.

While their conversations are about what they made their fortunes in - real estate, a product, manufacturing, investing, etc....the lottery winner is a total outsider.

I think we can say that the amount of money a jackpot winner wins takes a back seat to the amount of it they have held on to a few years down the road.

I had meant to quote hearsetrax, so my post probably didn't come across as I meant for it to. It was about the article he posted, I only read the part of wealth and it annoyed me. It just stereotyped rich people saying all they do is buy stuff to one up their friends. The website also used data that noted Nigeria as having a big increase in happiness as meaning Nigerians are happier than people anywhere else in the world. In reality they weren't even shown on the list of places with the happiest citizens. It used that "data" to imply that the poorer you are the happier you are (which they also said the average income in Nigeria was $300 when it's really $2300, they were using 3-4 year old data). Sure the site is a "humor and video site" but I'd expect that actual thought would go into writing an article, it's shows pretty poor journalism on their part.

Yea, I know most rich people wouldn't look at a lottery winner the same way they look at someone else who worked hard for their money. What I was saying is that it doesn't make sense that the article makes it out like every rich person (who earned their money) has the undying need to out-do other rich people (who earned their money as well). There are plenty of rich people out there that don't go around buying a golf course because their neighbor was bragging about playing on it. I know quite a bit of people that are wealthy due to being in the oil, land or wind energy business out here in West Texas. It may be because they're not the suit type, but they associate and are friendly with everyone, don't bring up their wealth in their conversations and don't try to out do their friends in purchases.

Even if I got rich through a business venture I wouldn't feel the need to out-do anybody else. I would move to a very nice neighborhood where even if everyone drove around in Lamborghini's, Aston Martin's, Bentley's and Bugatti Veyron's I would be fine with a sub $80,000 BMW. It really wouldn't bother me that someone has a better car that makes mine look like junk.

Agree that the amount they hold onto means more than the amount they win. Dennis Sanfilippo is a good example of that, he won $30 million in 1992 (I believe that amount is before taxes) and now he is worth much more than that (his publicist has said $100 million). 

Sorry for my rant on that website, I can get caught up in my thoughts pretty easily. I'd still be good with $10 million after taxes to be satisfied/content, but I would definitely take the $27,000,000 in the MegaMillions tonight. That would allow me to go out Monday and go into talks about getting a place at the W Residences in Austin.

TeAl*888's avatar - octa feathers.jpg
                            Ontario
                            Canada
                            Member #97475
                            September 17, 2010
                            69 Posts
                            Posted: September 17, 2010, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

I am content!

but I'll be glad if I can solve this puzzle

Chaos has always been my favorite subject

There's no Chaos , just complex order that we don't understand ..yet!

Cheers

Fractal

" Truth is a Pathless Land " Krishnamurti

Sacramento, CA
                              United States
                              Member #96354
                              August 28, 2010
                              159 Posts
                              Posted: September 28, 2010, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

Twenty Million is a nice round figure. To be honest, I'd just like to win $50,000.00, and pay-off my bills! (Of course, with enough left over to buy a new car and a boat...)