Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 10:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you win the jackpot on the lotto and were to give

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Delta Draw.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
victorl3ichiban's avatar - georgemichael
san jose
United States
Member #53761
July 20, 2007
277 Posts
Posted: September 21, 2010, 3:00 am - IP Logged

let say you win 10 million dollar and wants to give 2 million dollar to your parents. would you claim all 10 million and right 2 million check to your parents are let them come with you and let them claim at the office? would they still tax you on gift tax when your family member come with you and get the money with your or they will be tax seperately? I am always confused abou this. I know that the government would be chasing your ass once your write check of 2 million dollar to your parents and eventually tax you on gift tax so what is the best way?

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
    Texas
    United States
    Member #92330
    June 5, 2010
    887 Posts
    Posted: September 21, 2010, 3:29 am - IP Logged

You could probably say that y'all bought the tickets together. That's what pools do. Of course in that scenario it would probably be split 50/50 (you and them as a couple), saying y'all went in as a group but then not divide the winnings evenly may look fishy to either the lottery or the government.

I've read some members on here mention creating a trust or LLC and you can add whoever you want as a part of that group and you won't have to pay the gift tax. I believe you could still claim with those entities as long as you appear at a press conference (for those states that don't allow you to stay anonymous with a blind trust). I've only read a small bit about this on here though so I may be completely off.

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      51120 Posts
      Posted: September 21, 2010, 10:58 am - IP Logged

let say you win 10 million dollar and wants to give 2 million dollar to your parents. would you claim all 10 million and right 2 million check to your parents are let them come with you and let them claim at the office? would they still tax you on gift tax when your family member come with you and get the money with your or they will be tax seperately? I am always confused abou this. I know that the government would be chasing your ass once your write check of 2 million dollar to your parents and eventually tax you on gift tax so what is the best way?

Consult a Tax Professional!

Lottery Post Forums Search is Your Friend: When it comes to looking up previous discussions on the same Topic!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

johngreek's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
        Patras,Achaia,Greece
        Greece
        Member #91329
        May 15, 2010
        42 Posts
        Posted: September 22, 2010, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

i would claim the money for my self

then i would withdraw 2 millions in cash and put the other 8 in high yield banking functions..

i would give my parents the 2 million in cash which they would put in their safe or under matress Big Smile

tax would be no problem of course anymore but inflation would be the major problem Cool

san jose
          United States
          Member #53761
          July 20, 2007
          277 Posts
          Posted: September 22, 2010, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

true, but you live in greece. Most of the Asian country or the East have no probelm having a lot of cash at home but in America, you could only have max of $10,000 otherwise it is illegal.

Honduras
            Member #20982
            August 29, 2005
            4715 Posts
            Posted: September 22, 2010, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

rare ailments/conditions/diseases the ones that rarely get support or publicity, stuff that are not common...That´s where i will go....rare causes...

sorry thought you meant charities...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

United States
              Member #61232
              May 16, 2008
              126 Posts
              Posted: September 22, 2010, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

true, but you live in greece. Most of the Asian country or the East have no probelm having a lot of cash at home but in America, you could only have max of $10,000 otherwise it is illegal.

It's not illegal to have more than $10,000 cash in your home.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: September 22, 2010, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

It's not illegal to have more than $10,000 cash in your home.

Yeah, I didn't think that sounded right either.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #92330
                  June 5, 2010
                  887 Posts
                  Posted: September 23, 2010, 12:57 am - IP Logged

Yea, it may not be illegal but if they came across the average person with that kind of cash in their home they would be pretty suspicious. I'm sure their first thought would be that you have it from illegal activities and then they may investigate.

If you want to keep large sums of money at your house and you withdrew it from your bank, I would hang on to the bank receipt just incase. It would really help out in explaining why you have $50,000 in cash at your house.

san jose
                    United States
                    Member #53761
                    July 20, 2007
                    277 Posts
                    Posted: September 23, 2010, 1:42 am - IP Logged

it is illegal in CA. If a police came into your house and found out if you have more that $10,000, they will easily cease it and freeze the money and you would have a lot of answering to do. Also think bout how your house might get caught up in fire. You don't want all those cash to burn away.

Colt45ML's avatar - 4eyes
                      Jawja
                      United States
                      Member #87469
                      February 25, 2010
                      109 Posts
                      Posted: September 23, 2010, 1:54 am - IP Logged

Yea, it may not be illegal but if they came across the average person with that kind of cash in their home they would be pretty suspicious. I'm sure their first thought would be that you have it from illegal activities and then they may investigate.

If you want to keep large sums of money at your house and you withdrew it from your bank, I would hang on to the bank receipt just incase. It would really help out in explaining why you have $50,000 in cash at your house.

They could, and probably would, sieze it under the RICO statutes.  All the cops have to say is that they suspect that you got this money through illigal means, such as selling drugs.  You would go through hell trying to get it back, and you still probably wouldn't be able to.  I'm sure they have some Patriot Act statute that they can use to rob you too.  This kind of stuff makes my blood boil.

Be sassy and be happy.

United States
                        Member #83701
                        December 13, 2009
                        225 Posts
                        Posted: September 23, 2010, 3:31 am - IP Logged

In my opinion, the best way would be to get the money into an offshore trust or corporation.   Your parents can be employed by the corporation and have expense accounts for whatever they need as well as drive a corporate car, live in a corporate house etc.   Perhaps have the family sail around the Mediterranean for a while to disentangle yourself from taxes as much as possible.

If you claimed the 10 million and then wrote a check to your parents for 2 million, the taxman will ask you for another 1.1 million for gift taxes, that $2 million dollar check will cost you $3.1 million.   Gift taxes isn't just a little tax, it's a big tax.

OwlCreekBridge's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                          lottoville
                          United States
                          Member #95474
                          August 11, 2010
                          132 Posts
                          Posted: September 23, 2010, 6:07 am - IP Logged

it is illegal in CA. If a police came into your house and found out if you have more that $10,000, they will easily cease it and freeze the money and you would have a lot of answering to do. Also think bout how your house might get caught up in fire. You don't want all those cash to burn away.

this doesn't sound right at all. To my knowledge, there is no law written in any book or any legal document that limits the amount of money someone can legally keep in their home in California or in any US state. If there is such a law (which I highly doubt), provide me with the link to this law or its article number and I will gladly eat my words. In the meantime I would say the claim there is a $10,000 limit on cash kept in someones home in California is an old wives tale.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: September 23, 2010, 7:59 am - IP Logged

In my opinion, the best way would be to get the money into an offshore trust or corporation.   Your parents can be employed by the corporation and have expense accounts for whatever they need as well as drive a corporate car, live in a corporate house etc.   Perhaps have the family sail around the Mediterranean for a while to disentangle yourself from taxes as much as possible.

If you claimed the 10 million and then wrote a check to your parents for 2 million, the taxman will ask you for another 1.1 million for gift taxes, that $2 million dollar check will cost you $3.1 million.   Gift taxes isn't just a little tax, it's a big tax.

"If you claimed the 10 million and then wrote a check to your parents for 2 million, the taxman will ask you for another 1.1 million for gift taxes, that $2 million dollar check will cost you $3.1 million.   Gift taxes isn't just a little tax, it's a big tax."

Isn't it amazing how we've come to accept that we owe the government part of our money every time we give someone a large cash gift? They demand that if we give family members a gift of $2 million, that we also give them a million or so. And if we don't cooperate, they'll throw us in jail.

How did we come to accept being robbed like this?

Here's an even better one. Obama is putting the death tax back on us January 1st. So if you give a family member a million dollars and they die, the government will tax that money again. Yes, they will confiscate half of that money before anybody family member sees a nickel of it. Why? Because they say you owe it to them!

How long have we put up with this - this practice of allowing ourselves to be robbed by our own elected government?

And that begs the question:  How long will we put up with it?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

johngreek's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
                              Patras,Achaia,Greece
                              Greece
                              Member #91329
                              May 15, 2010
                              42 Posts
                              Posted: September 23, 2010, 8:48 am - IP Logged

i didn't know that victor

but even if it is illegal how can one now how much money you have stashed in hidden house spots or safes?