Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 1:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you win the jackpot on the lotto and were to give

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Delta Draw.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7344 Posts
Posted: September 23, 2010, 9:54 am - IP Logged

it is illegal in CA. If a police came into your house and found out if you have more that $10,000, they will easily cease it and freeze the money and you would have a lot of answering to do. Also think bout how your house might get caught up in fire. You don't want all those cash to burn away.

Is there really a California legal statute prohibiting the citizens of that state of having more than $10,000 in their home or are you just making an assumption?

"If a police came into your house and found out if you have more that $10,000, they will easily cease it and freeze the money and you would have a lot of answering to do."

California is still part of the U.S. and Constitution says the police or FBI need a search warrant to search your house. Did you forget your topic is "if you win the jackpot" because even if the police had just cause to search your home, it would be simple to prove where the money came from?

"Also think bout how your house might get caught up in fire."

$10,000 isn't really a large sum of cash for a multi-millionaire to have in their home and a good fireproof safe costs under $500.

If you're so concerned about the police coming to your house and finding cash or hiring a lawyer from your other thread, maybe the first thing you should do "if you win the jackpot" is move out of California.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: September 23, 2010, 11:00 am - IP Logged

it is illegal in CA. If a police came into your house and found out if you have more that $10,000, they will easily cease it and freeze the money and you would have a lot of answering to do. Also think bout how your house might get caught up in fire. You don't want all those cash to burn away.

They freeze the money?

Man, then if you get it back, do they pay you in cold cash?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

OwlCreekBridge's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
      lottoville
      United States
      Member #95474
      August 11, 2010
      132 Posts
      Posted: September 23, 2010, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

i didn't know that victor

but even if it is illegal how can one now how much money you have stashed in hidden house spots or safes?

If it was illegal to keep over $10,000 in your home, which I doubt. I suggest you stay on the right side of the law. I don't know what Greece is like but the US government don't play.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
        Texas
        United States
        Member #92330
        June 5, 2010
        887 Posts
        Posted: September 23, 2010, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

They could, and probably would, sieze it under the RICO statutes.  All the cops have to say is that they suspect that you got this money through illigal means, such as selling drugs.  You would go through hell trying to get it back, and you still probably wouldn't be able to.  I'm sure they have some Patriot Act statute that they can use to rob you too.  This kind of stuff makes my blood boil.

That's why I suggested having it withdrawn from a bank and keeping the bank receipts with the money. That way if, for whatever reason, a cop searches your home and finds tens of thousands they would at least have some clue that it did in fact come from a bank. Also if they questioned how you came about so much money you could probably mention the lottery (if you didn't claim anonymously/with a blind trust) or have them speak to your lawyer which could likely settle it.

Of course I would still feel pretty iffy about leaving so much money in my house. Even if it was in the best safe, 30 feet underground or whatever. I may have a few thousand around the house but nothing major.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
          The Ville, FL
          United States
          Member #95879
          August 19, 2010
          1708 Posts
          Posted: September 23, 2010, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

if you are going to give your parents $2 Million then just accept the check from the lottery office and then setup a seperate account with your Mom/Dad/You as owners of that account. Then just let your parents use the account in which the $2 Million is deposited in.

You would still have a "Main" account that has all of your money and then you just transfer $2Mil to your Joint account with your parents =) that way no gift tax & your parents only have access to the joint account

I did this with my wife, but I deposited far less than $10 Milion =)

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
            adelaide sa
            Australia
            Member #37136
            April 11, 2006
            3316 Posts
            Posted: September 23, 2010, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

i think in greecs cash transactions over $1400 euro are now illegal

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

victorl3ichiban's avatar - georgemichael
              san jose
              United States
              Member #53761
              July 20, 2007
              277 Posts
              Posted: September 23, 2010, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

USA government don't play with regular citizen but celebrity now a day seem to get away with everything just look at Lindsay and Paris.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: September 23, 2010, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

If it was illegal to keep over $10,000 in your home, which I doubt. I suggest you stay on the right side of the law. I don't know what Greece is like but the US government don't play.

What do you mean you don't know what Greece is like? Didn't you see "300"?

I wish Leonidis and the Spartans were still around to deal with them Persians again.

Our leader is far too sensitive.

--Edmund Burke

CutlassBob's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
                  Harrison Township Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #90088
                  April 21, 2010
                  4265 Posts
                  Posted: September 23, 2010, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

let say you win 10 million dollar and wants to give 2 million dollar to your parents. would you claim all 10 million and right 2 million check to your parents are let them come with you and let them claim at the office? would they still tax you on gift tax when your family member come with you and get the money with your or they will be tax seperately? I am always confused abou this. I know that the government would be chasing your ass once your write check of 2 million dollar to your parents and eventually tax you on gift tax so what is the best way?

The estate-tax laws changed markedly as of 1 Jan 2010, and further change is expected. The recipient of a gift made by a U.S. citizen has nothing to worry about, no matter the size of the transfer, because gifts are not taxable income. No estate tax at all is imposed in 2010 because that tax was repealed for 2010. Contrast this with 2009, when an estate of less than US$3,500,000 was not taxed, depending on prior gifts; then in 2011 the current law restores a limit of US$1,000,000.

Read the rest of this here...http://invest-faq.com/cbc/tax-estate-gift.html

Cutla$$Bob

"You can't handle the truth!" Nicholson.

OwlCreekBridge's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                    lottoville
                    United States
                    Member #95474
                    August 11, 2010
                    132 Posts
                    Posted: September 23, 2010, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

What do you mean you don't know what Greece is like? Didn't you see "300"?

I wish Leonidis and the Spartans were still around to deal with them Persians again.

Our leader is far too sensitive.

"300" took place over 2,000 years ago. I'm sure quite a few things have changed since then

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: September 23, 2010, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

"300" took place over 2,000 years ago. I'm sure quite a few things have changed since then

Surely there are a few good Spartans left. They're probably down by the Hot Gates.

I'll have to ask that guy from Greece when I see him.

--Edmund Burke

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19903 Posts
                        Posted: September 26, 2010, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

If I won $10M in a lottery and wanted to give $2M to family member of anyone else I would  fill out a IRS form 5754 showing them as 20% owner of the winnings, that way they would get $2M along with the responsibility of paying all taxes on it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                          Member #81843
                          October 31, 2009
                          856 Posts
                          Posted: September 27, 2010, 12:56 am - IP Logged

rare ailments/conditions/diseases the ones that rarely get support or publicity, stuff that are not common...That´s where i will go....rare causes...

sorry thought you meant charities...

Pumpi! You live with your dad, don't you think he is a good cause after all these years?

DD

United States
                            Member #81843
                            October 31, 2009
                            856 Posts
                            Posted: September 27, 2010, 1:10 am - IP Logged

Surely there are a few good Spartans left. They're probably down by the Hot Gates.

I'll have to ask that guy from Greece when I see him.

Oh poo!.

What difference does it make if Caesar wants his toll?

Nothing new about taxes, Ridge Runnicuss-Maximus.

It is the product of government!

Go down to see our master and ask him about his rotted rye seed for his reply. He got the idea from that seaside loafer who talked about riding on waves with a plank carved of wood. He never paid taxes because he did not work.

DD

Ahh, Socrates, the original party animal!