Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Considering the possibility of winning a major jackpot, do you think the rich should pay more taxes?

Topic closed. 47 replies. Last post 6 years ago by ttech10.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Would you gladly pay more taxes because you think it's the right thing to do after you're rich?

Yes, the rich should pay more [ 11 ]  [29.73%]
No, the rich already pay enough [ 20 ]  [54.05%]
Other (explain) [ 6 ]  [16.22%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: October 1, 2010, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

Considering that the top 10% of income earners already pay about 70% of all taxes paid in this country, would you agree with the current administration's plan to raise taxes on the rich Jan. 1st if you won millions?

Keep in mind that this doesn't include just income tax but taxes on virtually everything a rich person does including dying.

Yes, after Jan. 1st, if you die and leave over a million dollars, the government will confiscate 55% of it. Your family will get to split the remaining 45%.

My personal opinion is that the rich already pay enough, what's yours?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

CutlassBob's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
    Harrison Township Michigan
    United States
    Member #90088
    April 21, 2010
    4265 Posts
    Posted: October 1, 2010, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

I'm with ya ridge! The rich already pay enough. Alot of the rich folks own businesses and employee many people. Tax the rich more and they will leave the country. Thus increasing the unemployment rate.

Pres Obama just does not get it!

I could go on but, "Don't get me started"

Cutla$$Bob

"You can't handle the truth!" Nicholson.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19816 Posts
      Posted: October 1, 2010, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

Considering that the top 10% of income earners already pay about 70% of all taxes paid in this country, would you agree with the current administration's plan to raise taxes on the rich Jan. 1st if you won millions?

Keep in mind that this doesn't include just income tax but taxes on virtually everything a rich person does including dying.

Yes, after Jan. 1st, if you die and leave over a million dollars, the government will confiscate 55% of it. Your family will get to split the remaining 45%.

Where did you get your information?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: October 1, 2010, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

Conventional Wisdom, pretty much the same as the 80% - 20% numbers thrown around here about QP's and PP's.

Those are the numbers repeatedly used on news shows and debates concerning taxes.

I've never seen their veracity challenged even by the most vociferous opponents of any issue they were used to support.

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10344 Posts
          Posted: October 1, 2010, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

I went with Other.

There should be no taxes at all on gambling wins. We are one of the only, if not the only country that does it.

I think for the sake of the poll, that most people who would vote the rich should pay more taxes would quickly change their mind about that right after winning a jackpot!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Honduras
            Member #20982
            August 29, 2005
            4715 Posts
            Posted: October 1, 2010, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

you might dislike me, but to me more important than who pays more taxes who who doesnt is: making people lose weight, helping people in debt also if the government created a company that was huge where they provide a service to the public the money people will spend on that product is the same as: TAXES you will be generating the same income as taxes would specially if the company is a: 60 Billion dollars a year industry or more...Create a Forex, a second stock market something...and this way there will not be any more taxes...

fatness is a bigger problem than the, USA GOVERNMENT or Taxes, then they complain why there is racism or discrimination or why people hate each other or cheat on each other, or family get disintegrated, or wife beating OR A WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHER PROBLEMS....IS all because of FATNESS OR IS MOSTLY BECAUSE OF FATNESS....EVEN BULLYING IS CONNECTED TO FATNESS...I THINK EVEN AUTISM IS RELATED TO FATNESS...YOU MIGHT BE SKINNY BUT YOU COULDL HAD FAT GRANDPARENTS OR GREAT GRANDPARENTS...IS DISCUSTING...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19816 Posts
              Posted: October 1, 2010, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

Conventional Wisdom, pretty much the same as the 80% - 20% numbers thrown around here about QP's and PP's.

Those are the numbers repeatedly used on news shows and debates concerning taxes.

I've never seen their veracity challenged even by the most vociferous opponents of any issue they were used to support.

That 70%-80% of all combinations played are QP's were posted on the PowerBall website Q&A.  I assumed they used more than conventional wisdom to come up with their information.

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: October 1, 2010, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

According to this 2004 Treasury document the top ten percent pays 64.8%, the top 25% pays 83.0% and the top 50% pays 96.4% of all taxes.

The bottom 50% of wage earners paid 3.6% of all taxes.

http://www.ustreas.gov/press/releases/js1287.htm

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

--Edmund Burke

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  40295 Posts
                  Posted: October 1, 2010, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

I am with you also.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19816 Posts
                    Posted: October 1, 2010, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

According to this 2004 Treasury document the top ten percent pays 64.8%, the top 25% pays 83.0% and the top 50% pays 96.4% of all taxes.

The bottom 50% of wage earners paid 3.6% of all taxes.

http://www.ustreas.gov/press/releases/js1287.htm

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The US treasury department is a better source than conventional wisdom.  Thank you.

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: October 1, 2010, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

I forgot to add that the top 5% of wage earners paid 53.3% of all taxes.

I can't believe that some want to put even more of a burden on our economic engine and job provider.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: October 1, 2010, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

The US treasury department is a better source than conventional wisdom.  Thank you.

No problem RJOh, thanks for responding.

--Edmund Burke

Honduras
                          Member #20982
                          August 29, 2005
                          4715 Posts
                          Posted: October 1, 2010, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

you might dislike me, but to me more important than who pays more taxes who who doesnt is: making people lose weight, helping people in debt also if the government created a company that was huge where they provide a service to the public the money people will spend on that product is the same as: TAXES you will be generating the same income as taxes would specially if the company is a: 60 Billion dollars a year industry or more...Create a Forex, a second stock market something...and this way there will not be any more taxes...

fatness is a bigger problem than the, USA GOVERNMENT or Taxes, then they complain why there is racism or discrimination or why people hate each other or cheat on each other, or family get disintegrated, or wife beating OR A WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHER PROBLEMS....IS all because of FATNESS OR IS MOSTLY BECAUSE OF FATNESS....EVEN BULLYING IS CONNECTED TO FATNESS...I THINK EVEN AUTISM IS RELATED TO FATNESS...YOU MIGHT BE SKINNY BUT YOU COULDL HAD FAT GRANDPARENTS OR GREAT GRANDPARENTS...IS DISCUSTING...

if you study medicine you will know there is like: 600 ailments/illnesses related to obesity...600...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: October 1, 2010, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

I don't dislike you, pumpi.

I think you just take me too serious sometimes when I'm joking.

--Edmund Burke

four4me's avatar - gate1
                              MD
                              United States
                              Member #1701
                              June 18, 2003
                              8359 Posts
                              Posted: October 1, 2010, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

How rich does one have to be in order for them and their family to be independently wealthy for the rest of this century. The taxes the rich pay is a mere penitence to what they claim as deductions. These people have tax layers and accountants that make their monies make money. Many of the rich could adopt 10 family's or more and support them for ever.

So why shouldn't they pay more taxes.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.