Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

You, your state's lottery director!

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 6 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10348 Posts
Posted: October 4, 2010, 1:42 am - IP Logged

Comgratulations! You've just been made the director or commissioner of the lottery for your state.

What changes would you make, what ideas would you come up with?

You can't change the matrixes, but you can change some payouts.

For example, Illlinois and Missouri both have a 5/39 Pick 5 game.

4 of 5 pays $100 in Illinois and $250 in Missouri, that's a noticeable difference.

Bear in m9ind, you are running a lottery and everything has to be to the advantage of the lottery, not the player.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3300 Posts
    Posted: October 4, 2010, 1:52 am - IP Logged

id change keno to 10c a game to encourage more combo plays although the pot would need to decrease,. although you could still have a $1 min bet and people  could put 10 bets on same number as before; equalling  the same bet as earlier., and still collect the same prize as before.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19825 Posts
      Posted: October 4, 2010, 2:12 am - IP Logged

Comgratulations! You've just been made the director or commissioner of the lottery for your state.

4 of 5 pays $100 in Illinois and $250 in Missouri, that's a noticeable difference.

Bear in m9ind, you are running a lottery and everything has to be to the advantage of the lottery, not the player.

Ohio is even better, 4 of 5 pays $300 and the minimum jackpot is $100,000.  In Missouri it's $50,000, but they both roll if there isn't a winner.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10348 Posts
        Posted: October 4, 2010, 11:07 am - IP Logged

Ohio is even better, 4 of 5 pays $300 and the minimum jackpot is $100,000.  In Missouri it's $50,000, but they both roll if there isn't a winner.

$300 is even better yet!

Yeah, Illinois rolls too, and has been over $1 million a few times.

It used to be 5/30, 2 numbers didn't pay (now they pay $1), but the 4 of 5 , and maybe 3 of 5 was pari-mutuel. But people wanted to get paid for two numbers, so now it's fixed at 2 pays $1, 3 pays $10, and 4 pays $100.

If I remember right, when it was 5/30 the jackpot was locked in at $200,000.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5592 Posts
          Posted: October 4, 2010, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

I would get rid of Cash 5 and bring in a pick 5 game numbers game like PA's Quinto.

Cash 5 has a payout of about $22,000 on average, is paramutuel, and odds of 435,897 to 1. It sucks.

Quinto has a payout of 50K and odds of 100,000 to 1. No paramutuel.

Of course, it's not that easy in Tx. There has to be public comments periods, and discussions and such before they do anything about anything.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
            Member #59354
            March 13, 2008
            3964 Posts
            Posted: October 4, 2010, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

Have fixed jackpot and roll over all 2nd, 3rd, ect.. prize amounts

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10348 Posts
              Posted: October 4, 2010, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

Have fixed jackpot and roll over all 2nd, 3rd, ect.. prize amounts

RL

RL,

If you meant a Pick 5 the lower prizes are hit every drawing, there would be no rolling over.

Here's last night for Illinois, and this is typical. I can't think of any drawing when no one hit 4 of 5.

LITTLE LOTTO PRIZE PAYOUTS FOR SUNDAY, OCTOBER 03, 2010

WINNING NUMBERS: 14 - 27 - 32 - 34 - 35

PLAYERS MATCHING 5 OF 5 NUMBERS
                  INCLUDING SUBSCRIPTION WINNERS            0
               EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE                 $0.00

PLAYERS MATCHING 4 OF 5 NUMBERS             61
               EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE               $100.00

PLAYERS MATCHING 3 OF 5 NUMBERS          1,998
               EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE                $10.00

PLAYERS MATCHING 2 OF 5 NUMBERS         21,548
               EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE                 $1.00

THE LITTLE LOTTO GRAND PRIZE FOR MONDAY, OCTOBER 04, 2010 IS     $200,000

For the Pick 6 and 5+1 a fixed jackpot would probably really decrease interest in the game.

Lep

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                Northern Virginia
                United States
                Member #83350
                December 5, 2009
                1314 Posts
                Posted: October 5, 2010, 12:13 am - IP Logged

Some things I would do:

- Improve the payouts for jackpot games

- If I happen to be in a state that uses computerized drawings, I would switch back to ball and machine drawings. (I am in Virginia, which does ball and machine drawings).

- I would probably run a bunch of promotional advertisements featuring my avatar, the "Lottery Otter" (if you take L and Y off Lottery, you get Otter, that is why I chose an otter).

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

United States
                  Member #75358
                  June 1, 2009
                  5345 Posts
                  Posted: October 5, 2010, 12:21 am - IP Logged

I would immediately stop the multiple pretests, rotation of the tubes, rotation of the 3 or more sets, and stop using the excuse of prevantative maintenance as a justification for these illicit behaviors.

I'd probably get fired for doing this.......lol

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8360 Posts
                    Posted: October 5, 2010, 1:00 am - IP Logged

Maryland's bonus match 5 would either go back to being a tax free jackpot prize or have incremental dollar amounts added to the pot for every day it's not won.

Perks for purchasing pick 3 or 4 games would be year round double your winnings on selected draws, bonus tickets and or matching 2 front or rear numbers.

Make the games more interesting for people to want to play.

Petition mega millions to add the multiplier here.

Re structure all the scratch off games so the monies collected can go to different causes not just to the general fund. Doing it this way would increase customer draw as they would know before hand where their money is going.

More give aways on selected days, functions, and events the Maryland lottery participates in.

Have a raffle at least once a year.

Make available the video drawings for every draw every day in a timely manner on the website.

Reinstate live drawings televised events no matter what the programing except if it involves federal guidelines and the FCC.

Make sure all security measures are followed for every draw no matter what - change tubes, calibrate balls and machines and hold pre test draws in accordance with the by laws written at the time of the lottery's inception.

Review every retailer that sells tickets for the lottery to make sure they are in accordance with the contract they signed and not duping the customers out of any winnings they should have collected.

If i were a newly appointed director i would go through the whole operation from top to bottom and make all necessary changes.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                      Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #86154
                      January 30, 2010
                      1648 Posts
                      Posted: October 5, 2010, 1:01 am - IP Logged

Well, I think I'd raise the payouts on both Pick 3 and 4. This ultimately allows the player to run more numbers for better consistency from one draw to the next while still turning a descent profit. Then, I'd try and implement a way for players to actually play "TRUE ONLINE" with utilizing software to play and validate their numbers. This would require stores to have a database for players to log into, of course, and they wouldn't lose any money at all. Paper tickets should be a thing of the past as most everything is online this day and time and is all about convenience. Hint hint lotto officials that may be reading this...

Then, there are the pre-tests. Hmmmm. I've taken pre-tests results from most of the states, both mechanical and RNG, and they're pretty consistent as they should be. These tests are run to validate the consistency of ball weights, machine pressures, and vacuums. The states must have a STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE  to test the products they use in an effort to provide fairness and quality control. This is all the pre-tests do in addition to providing a baseline for how much money should be made and lost in the process. In the end, it all balances out.

Contrary to even my own popular belief, the pre-tests are our friends...believe it.

L.L.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #55889
                        October 23, 2007
                        5592 Posts
                        Posted: October 5, 2010, 8:23 am - IP Logged

Maryland's bonus match 5 would either go back to being a tax free jackpot prize or have incremental dollar amounts added to the pot for every day it's not won.

Perks for purchasing pick 3 or 4 games would be year round double your winnings on selected draws, bonus tickets and or matching 2 front or rear numbers.

Re structure all the scratch off games so the monies collected can go to different causes not just to the general fund. Doing it this way would increase customer draw as they would know before hand where their money is going.

More give aways on selected days, functions, and events the Maryland lottery participates in.

Make available the video drawings for every draw every day in a timely manner on the website.

Reinstate live drawings televised events no matter what the programing except if it involves federal guidelines and the FCC.

Make sure all security measures are followed for every draw no matter what - change tubes, calibrate balls and machines and hold pre test draws in accordance with the by laws written at the time of the lottery's inception.

Review every retailer that sells tickets for the lottery to make sure they are in accordance with the contract they signed and not duping the customers out of any winnings they should have collected.

If i were a newly appointed director i would go through the whole operation from top to bottom and make all necessary changes.

I saw in the proposed rules for Tx Lottery that they are going to have a comment period regarding the MM megaplier. We have the mega plier here, but it is paid 2x, 3x, or 4x, whichever special number is pulled for that drawing. Now they are looking into having a payout like PB which if a player has the first 5 numbers with the megaplier, the prize will be $1 million.

I am surprised some of the other states don't have megaplier. I like to play it on occasion.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Litebets27's avatar - power
                          Maryland
                          United States
                          Member #10465
                          January 14, 2005
                          6065 Posts
                          Posted: October 5, 2010, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

Find a way to stop putting lottery money in Raven Stadium....Green laugh

Make the Racetrax andd Keno games looser...I'd like to win a more money than $2-$6 @ a time.

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                            Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #56506
                            November 21, 2007
                            6537 Posts
                            Posted: October 6, 2010, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

I'd make all the in state games ball drawn and I would redo the pick 5 game. I would change it to 1 dollar and 1 drawing a night and the payout would start out $100,000 instead of $20,000. I would also add a Pick 4 game.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

four4me's avatar - gate1
                              MD
                              United States
                              Member #1701
                              June 18, 2003
                              8360 Posts
                              Posted: October 18, 2010, 11:20 am - IP Logged

Well somebody must have been reading these posts because MD lottery just added the megaplier option for mega millions.

http://marylandlottery.wordpress.com/2010/10/

Been wating a long time for this

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Big Smile

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.