Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

You, your state's lottery director!

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 6 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
pcurtis's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
fayetteville tn
United States
Member #68983
January 3, 2009
1829 Posts
Posted: October 18, 2010, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

I would immediately stop the multiple pretests, rotation of the tubes, rotation of the 3 or more sets, and stop using the excuse of prevantative maintenance as a justification for these illicit behaviors.

I'd probably get fired for doing this.......lol

I Agree!

pcurtis's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
    fayetteville tn
    United States
    Member #68983
    January 3, 2009
    1829 Posts
    Posted: October 18, 2010, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

If i was CEO of TN lottery first thing i would do is throw the computers in the cumberland river.

Start the mechanical ball drawings right away with no pretest draws

Make sure Rebecca never gets another job as CEO of any state lottery.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10348 Posts
      Posted: November 9, 2010, 1:40 am - IP Logged

Occassionally Illinois has a "Green ball double draw" for the Pick 3. It goes on for a few weeks if I remember right.

Along with the number drawing, there's a drawing of white balls and a green one (maybe more than one green). If green comes up, there's another three numbers drawn so you have a shot at winning again with the same ticket.

I'd do a promo something like this but completely unannounced until the drawing - AND A SPECIAL BONUS DRAW TOMIGHT!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: November 9, 2010, 3:44 am - IP Logged

I'd do some kind of promotion which involved girls, bikinis and trampolines.

I'd commit all available resources to that immediately and work out the details as we go along.

Of course I'd conduct tryouts and auditions personally just to show my dedication.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5591 Posts
          Posted: November 9, 2010, 9:19 am - IP Logged

I'd do some kind of promotion which involved girls, bikinis and trampolines.

I'd commit all available resources to that immediately and work out the details as we go along.

Of course I'd conduct tryouts and auditions personally just to show my dedication.

Well ridge,

I think we just saw the definition of a "dirty old man". LOL.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: November 9, 2010, 10:58 am - IP Logged

Well ridge,

I think we just saw the definition of a "dirty old man". LOL.

I'm shocked and appalled at the very notion!

--Edmund Burke

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
              A long and winding road
              United States
              Member #17084
              June 10, 2005
              4524 Posts
              Posted: November 9, 2010, 11:49 am - IP Logged

1: ALL Drawings- Thru Ball machines .

2: Create a  Promo on Pick 3 and Pick 4. Pay fifty cents extra and if the number drawn is the date then you win double! (must be exact order!) Such as March 17 draws 317...you win normal plus another double! SO its triple win!!! But it must be in that exact order and stated at time of order play.... IT would have its own software key for ease of punching...Instead of SUPERSTRAIGHT" youd have a KEY OF "DOUBLE DATE" for the Operators... (Just an idea to get folks enthused!) Same with the pick four..it would have to come in exact...like 0317...not 3017 or 3710....

3: Instants would go back to the old system in PA- 5$ tickets would have the 100,000 grand prize instead of them knocking it down to 50k and 75 k . Not so many different tickets ..maybe four sets for each type: 1 dollars, 2$, 5$ 10$ and 20 Dollar ...This way you can have a better idea of whats out there and what is claimed...This searching thru  out the year is ridiculous....

4: My biggest change and most happy for players- EACH YEAR- ALL UNCLAIMED AWARDS would go in a raffle drawing and a tier drawing would take place.....Maybe 5 people would win 5k and another 5 would win 20 k...at least it gives the money back that the players put into these games thru out the year...and two 1 million cash payout tax exempt state/federal.

5: Limit the amount of roll overs ...For Match 6...Make it the Bakers Dozen roll over...Once the 13th draw plays out (without a grand prize winner claimed)...the ones who hit five out of six split the pot! (since its usually 6 or less players in PA) and then paramutal the rest of the winnings....More players means more stayers in the game!

6: Discontinue these lame second chance drawings with losing tickets....not everyone has time to fill, mail and then have there supposed ticket placed in a supposed cannister to be drawn 6 weeks later. No one has ever seen this second chance drawing really from start to finish...Sorry I think they have a dumpster and toss your mailing out the back side of the building and if one falls to the side...thats the supposed winner

7: Make PICK 4 with SuperBox option...would have to do the research on price though as we'd have to compensate for loss and gains....

8: Get rid of our lame Gopher for promotions...Instead Use Spokespersons in ad's , Like maybe the seniors who can attest they receive these Lottery supported programs.

9: Create online or mail in play for those who are housebound.....You would need to legally register for your home state of residency .

10: Be able to buy Lottery Gift cards.....this way you can recharge it each week or give as a gift for someone to play ....Money upfront is a good thing....

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                Northern Virginia
                United States
                Member #83350
                December 5, 2009
                1314 Posts
                Posted: November 9, 2010, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

1: ALL Drawings- Thru Ball machines .

2: Create a  Promo on Pick 3 and Pick 4. Pay fifty cents extra and if the number drawn is the date then you win double! (must be exact order!) Such as March 17 draws 317...you win normal plus another double! SO its triple win!!! But it must be in that exact order and stated at time of order play.... IT would have its own software key for ease of punching...Instead of SUPERSTRAIGHT" youd have a KEY OF "DOUBLE DATE" for the Operators... (Just an idea to get folks enthused!) Same with the pick four..it would have to come in exact...like 0317...not 3017 or 3710....

3: Instants would go back to the old system in PA- 5$ tickets would have the 100,000 grand prize instead of them knocking it down to 50k and 75 k . Not so many different tickets ..maybe four sets for each type: 1 dollars, 2$, 5$ 10$ and 20 Dollar ...This way you can have a better idea of whats out there and what is claimed...This searching thru  out the year is ridiculous....

4: My biggest change and most happy for players- EACH YEAR- ALL UNCLAIMED AWARDS would go in a raffle drawing and a tier drawing would take place.....Maybe 5 people would win 5k and another 5 would win 20 k...at least it gives the money back that the players put into these games thru out the year...and two 1 million cash payout tax exempt state/federal.

5: Limit the amount of roll overs ...For Match 6...Make it the Bakers Dozen roll over...Once the 13th draw plays out (without a grand prize winner claimed)...the ones who hit five out of six split the pot! (since its usually 6 or less players in PA) and then paramutal the rest of the winnings....More players means more stayers in the game!

6: Discontinue these lame second chance drawings with losing tickets....not everyone has time to fill, mail and then have there supposed ticket placed in a supposed cannister to be drawn 6 weeks later. No one has ever seen this second chance drawing really from start to finish...Sorry I think they have a dumpster and toss your mailing out the back side of the building and if one falls to the side...thats the supposed winner

7: Make PICK 4 with SuperBox option...would have to do the research on price though as we'd have to compensate for loss and gains....

8: Get rid of our lame Gopher for promotions...Instead Use Spokespersons in ad's , Like maybe the seniors who can attest they receive these Lottery supported programs.

9: Create online or mail in play for those who are housebound.....You would need to legally register for your home state of residency .

10: Be able to buy Lottery Gift cards.....this way you can recharge it each week or give as a gift for someone to play ....Money upfront is a good thing....

I was looking at your idea #2 and would be interested to see what you would do if the date could not possibly be written as a 3-digit number (e.g. November 21). I came up with my own solution for this years ago, but I would just be interested to see what yours would be.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

Northern Virginia
                  United States
                  Member #83350
                  December 5, 2009
                  1314 Posts
                  Posted: November 10, 2010, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

I was looking at your idea #2 and would be interested to see what you would do if the date could not possibly be written as a 3-digit number (e.g. November 21). I came up with my own solution for this years ago, but I would just be interested to see what yours would be.

Here is what I do: for October, November, and December dates with a single digit date, I do what most people would do and just remove the 0 (e.g. December 9 = 129, November 3 = 113, etc.)

For October, November, and December dates with a double digit date, I take off the first 1 to make the month a single digit number (e.g. October 10 = 010, November 21 = 121, December 31 = 231). 

Thus, 119 could stand for January 19 (1/19), November 9 (11/9), or November 19 ((1)1/19).

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

Northern Virginia
                    United States
                    Member #83350
                    December 5, 2009
                    1314 Posts
                    Posted: November 10, 2010, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

I would get rid of Cash 5 and bring in a pick 5 game numbers game like PA's Quinto.

Cash 5 has a payout of about $22,000 on average, is paramutuel, and odds of 435,897 to 1. It sucks.

Quinto has a payout of 50K and odds of 100,000 to 1. No paramutuel.

Of course, it's not that easy in Tx. There has to be public comments periods, and discussions and such before they do anything about anything.

I wish Georgia Five would be structured like the Pennsylvania Quinto rather than have completely arbitrary win patterns and payouts that are unacceptably and obscenely unfair to the player. To cite an extreme case, the odds of matching the first three and the last digit are 1 in 11,111, but the payout is $21! I felt like writing a letter of complaint to the Georgia Lottery about the payouts for that game.

Northern Virginia
                      United States
                      Member #83350
                      December 5, 2009
                      1314 Posts
                      Posted: November 14, 2010, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

I would consider adding a 7-digit numbers game, with a top prize of $500,000, and a payout scheme similar to Pick-3. This game would draw twice a week.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10348 Posts
                        Posted: November 14, 2010, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

Illinois has an occassional "Green Ball Double Draw" and if a green ball is drawn in a drzwing after the Pick 3, another Pick 3 is drawn. That's afreebie, but rare.

We were in Missouri last week and played a Pick 3. Out of nowhere comes a free ticket for a raffle to be entered to win a Cadillac Escalade or $500 cash.

Nice touch.

I know Florida does stuff like this, kicks out a free ticket for the Florida 5 I think it is....and a lot of those fre tickets have won jackpots.

I think if I ws a lottery director I'd do more of those kind of promos.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: November 14, 2010, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

Illinois has an occassional "Green Ball Double Draw" and if a green ball is drawn in a drzwing after the Pick 3, another Pick 3 is drawn. That's afreebie, but rare.

We were in Missouri last week and played a Pick 3. Out of nowhere comes a free ticket for a raffle to be entered to win a Cadillac Escalade or $500 cash.

Nice touch.

I know Florida does stuff like this, kicks out a free ticket for the Florida 5 I think it is....and a lot of those fre tickets have won jackpots.

I think if I ws a lottery director I'd do more of those kind of promos.

Yeah CT, that's called the "Grouper" in Florida.

You give them $5 and you get 6 Quick Pick tickets for their state games.

You don't get to choose numbers or add multipliers though.

I kinda like that deal though I wish you could add the multiplier.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: November 14, 2010, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

If i was CEO of TN lottery first thing i would do is throw the computers in the cumberland river.

Start the mechanical ball drawings right away with no pretest draws

Make sure Rebecca never gets another job as CEO of any state lottery.

You got my vote pcurtis!   Thumbs Up

--Edmund Burke

Monkey Butt, USA
                              United States
                              Member #54569
                              August 23, 2007
                              1124 Posts
                              Posted: November 14, 2010, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

Comgratulations! You've just been made the director or commissioner of the lottery for your state.

What changes would you make, what ideas would you come up with?

You can't change the matrixes, but you can change some payouts.

For example, Illlinois and Missouri both have a 5/39 Pick 5 game.

4 of 5 pays $100 in Illinois and $250 in Missouri, that's a noticeable difference.

Bear in m9ind, you are running a lottery and everything has to be to the advantage of the lottery, not the player.

These are the following changes to be made in TX by the new TX Lottery Director, Perdue effective immediately:

Every scratch off ticket would have a second chance drawing.

TX would start having Pick 3-Pick 4- and Cash 5 drawings on Sunday.

The TX Lotto rollover jackpots would be set up like EuroMillions. If no jackpot winner by the 10th drawing, the jackpot trickles down to the lower tiers.

The TX Cash 5 would have day and night drawings just like Pick 3 and Pick 4.