Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 2:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Dealing with Past Drawings

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 6 years ago by TeAl*888.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
garyo1954's avatar - garyo
Dallas, Texas
United States
Member #4549
May 2, 2004
1848 Posts
Posted: October 6, 2010, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

I was looking at the past draws in the Texas Lotto this morning and became aware it has undergone several major changes through the years.

It began in November, 1992 as a 6 of 50 drawing.

In July, 2000 it morphed into a 6 of 54, but kept the same name.

Then in May, 2003 it morphed again, becoming a 5 of 44 with a 1 of 44 (bonus ball). It was still called the Texas Lotto.

The latest change was April, 2006 when it reverted back to a 6 of 54. This remains the current version, still named the Texas Lotto.

WHAT I AM SEEING:

These changes are going to produce flaws in the historical analysis if we include all the data back to 1992 (since numbers above 50 were not in the matrix).

Likewise drawings between May, 2003 and April, 2006 will not produce hits above 44. And the bonus ball will, at times, match a number drawn in the 5 of 44 (inflating a numbers hit total).

MY QUESTIONS:

How does one go about determining the necesssary data to use?

Do we throw out everything before April, 2006? Or include the data between July 2000 and May 2003?

Thoughts?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10392 Posts
    Posted: October 6, 2010, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

I would say the game as ity is now could only be referred to the same game as it was then, meaning the same matrix. Anything with a different matrix can only produce skewed data.

Think if a state took their Pick 3 and eliminated the zero. Looking at past results from then on wouldn't do much good, would it?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
      Member #75358
      June 1, 2009
      5345 Posts
      Posted: October 6, 2010, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

I would say the game as ity is now could only be referred to the same game as it was then, meaning the same matrix. Anything with a different matrix can only produce skewed data.

Think if a state took their Pick 3 and eliminated the zero. Looking at past results from then on wouldn't do much good, would it?

With all the multiple pretests they do before a drawing, and with the rotation of the tubes and rotation of sets of tubes, it really doesn't matter. It's skewed from the getgo....Mad

Monkey Butt, USA
        United States
        Member #54569
        August 23, 2007
        1124 Posts
        Posted: October 6, 2010, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

I was looking at the past draws in the Texas Lotto this morning and became aware it has undergone several major changes through the years.

It began in November, 1992 as a 6 of 50 drawing.

In July, 2000 it morphed into a 6 of 54, but kept the same name.

Then in May, 2003 it morphed again, becoming a 5 of 44 with a 1 of 44 (bonus ball). It was still called the Texas Lotto.

The latest change was April, 2006 when it reverted back to a 6 of 54. This remains the current version, still named the Texas Lotto.

WHAT I AM SEEING:

These changes are going to produce flaws in the historical analysis if we include all the data back to 1992 (since numbers above 50 were not in the matrix).

Likewise drawings between May, 2003 and April, 2006 will not produce hits above 44. And the bonus ball will, at times, match a number drawn in the 5 of 44 (inflating a numbers hit total).

MY QUESTIONS:

How does one go about determining the necesssary data to use?

Do we throw out everything before April, 2006? Or include the data between July 2000 and May 2003?

Thoughts?

When I do any number crunching for TX Lotto I use all of the pick 6 history. I do not include the drawings when it was a pick 5 plus bonus ball.

CA
          United States
          Member #84266
          December 26, 2009
          410 Posts
          Posted: October 6, 2010, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

Just look at all the 6/54 results as if it never changed.

bobby623's avatar - abstract
            San Angelo, Texas
            United States
            Member #1097
            January 31, 2003
            1405 Posts
            Posted: October 6, 2010, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

If your are looking for guidance, I suggest you start with latest 6/54 game starting in April, 2006.

Like all states, Texas introduces new drawing equipment and ball sets from time to time for all of the games.

The Texas Lotto machines and ball sets were replaced on Feb. 1, 2009, which could be a good starting point when analyzing past
            drawings.

Personally, I wouldn't use any of the draw results prior to April 2006  when different machines and ball sets were in use.

Some folks don't think changing machines and ball sets makes a difference, but I think it does.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19903 Posts
              Posted: October 6, 2010, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

It's no different with PowerBall.

until Nov 1, 1997 - 5/45+1/42
              Nov 5,1997 - 5/49+1/42
              Oct 9,2002 - 1/53+1/42
              Aug 31,2005 - 5/55+1/42
              Jan 7,2009 - 5/59+1/39

For tonight drawing, I used the last 182 drawings to predict my picks but I check them against the whole history to make sure I wasn't using any repeat combinations.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                Dallas, Texas
                United States
                Member #4549
                May 2, 2004
                1848 Posts
                Posted: October 7, 2010, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

*Pirate Arrrrgh*

Editing requires more grog.  *moan*

*Looks at 3 of 6 winning ticket*

Me knowest now by which we was waylaid.

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                  Northern Virginia
                  United States
                  Member #83350
                  December 5, 2009
                  1322 Posts
                  Posted: October 11, 2010, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

When I used to analyze Mega Millions, I just extrapolated. I came up with a ratio to determine how many times 53-56 would have won when the highest ball was 52. Now I analyze just the Pick-3 and I am pleased to say that I have not encountered this problem. (Only problem I have come up with was when, after 18 years, Virginia finally introduced Sunday drawings).

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

TeAl*888's avatar - octa feathers.jpg
                    Ontario
                    Canada
                    Member #97475
                    September 17, 2010
                    69 Posts
                    Posted: October 13, 2010, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

The Lotto Draw Equipment usually undergoes changes at least once every year or two

if you're going to factor in the Draw Equipment in your pattern recognition system, I'd say don't go back further than 2 years at most!

lm

Fractal

" Truth is a Pathless Land " Krishnamurti