Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Active Topics - Programming

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 6 years ago by LANTERN.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Should the active topics include:

Programming - YES [ 11 ]  [68.75%]
Programming - NO [ 5 ]  [31.25%]
Total Valid Votes [ 16 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
Member #5599
July 13, 2004
1185 Posts
Posted: October 24, 2010, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

With the amount of people here do detailed analysis using programs for thier systems, I think it would be great to have a place just for that.

All opinions are welcome. *S*

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

NASHVILLE, TENN
    United States
    Member #33372
    February 20, 2006
    1044 Posts
    Posted: October 24, 2010, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

I know there are several sites elsewhere on the web which help VBA programmers with Excel.  These sites are business oriented and not lotto oriented.  We need our own site; one that can be directed solely toward winning lotto.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19829 Posts
      Posted: October 24, 2010, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

It's the lack of ideas on how to win a lottery that's the problem, not a lack of programming.  If someone comes up with an idea that will win a lottery, someone will put it into a program.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: October 25, 2010, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

With the amount of people here do detailed analysis using programs for thier systems, I think it would be great to have a place just for that.

All opinions are welcome. *S*

I thought we were using the math forum for programming. Clown

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
          Member #5599
          July 13, 2004
          1185 Posts
          Posted: October 25, 2010, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

It's the lack of ideas on how to win a lottery that's the problem, not a lack of programming.  If someone comes up with an idea that will win a lottery, someone will put it into a program.

Hi,

Just for arguments sake consider this...

1) What if all the elements needed to play the lottery profitably are already in the LP archive and it is just a data manipulation/programming problem to get there. How many more ways are there to analyze the lottery than have been presented at the LP?

2) What if the ideal new idea ends up being a programming idea?

3) RJOH, I know you program....wouldn't it be nice to see program snippets that would help you in your anaylysis. And think, you might not have to recreate the wheel that someone else has already created.

4) In addtion, you might find code that takes less lines and runs quicker.

From a Todd point of view...

1) He would be appealling to a larger demographic ..hopefully resulting in more web hits.

2) He would have the now public domain code to incorporate into his website as he sees fit.

In the end, I think having a programming section would do nothing but enhance the capability of the member, and add a new dimension to the LP.

NASHVILLE, TENN
            United States
            Member #33372
            February 20, 2006
            1044 Posts
            Posted: October 26, 2010, 1:14 am - IP Logged

Yes, someone will code your idea in their own good time and, hopefully, pro bono.  So you present your idea and wait until "someone" writes the code.

Let us put your idea to a test.  I have a number, 3947, which I would like to factor.  I want to know all the factors of 3947 from 3 to 39.  After factoring this first number, we go to the second.  There will be 4,633 such numbers.  I want to know the factors of all 4,633.  Computers can do this in a matter of seconds but if I were to use paper and pencil, I would be working for many days.

As I use Excel, I would like this program to be written in VBA with each factor in its own cell.  Thanks.

United States
              Member #93947
              July 10, 2010
              2180 Posts
              Posted: October 26, 2010, 1:35 am - IP Logged

Yes, someone will code your idea in their own good time and, hopefully, pro bono.  So you present your idea and wait until "someone" writes the code.

Let us put your idea to a test.  I have a number, 3947, which I would like to factor.  I want to know all the factors of 3947 from 3 to 39.  After factoring this first number, we go to the second.  There will be 4,633 such numbers.  I want to know the factors of all 4,633.  Computers can do this in a matter of seconds but if I were to use paper and pencil, I would be working for many days.

As I use Excel, I would like this program to be written in VBA with each factor in its own cell.  Thanks.

Click Here to Learn How to Do It Yourself!

Your problem above is a good one to learn with.

Try it - You might like it!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: October 26, 2010, 2:06 am - IP Logged

step 1) type in prime factorization macro into search engine

step 2) click on eHow's How to Use Excel to Find Prime Factors link at the top of the results page

See how fast that was? Big Grin

(Also, plenty of "pro bono" code has been posted on LP.)

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
                  Member #81843
                  October 31, 2009
                  856 Posts
                  Posted: October 26, 2010, 3:40 am - IP Logged

Hi,

Just for arguments sake consider this...

1) What if all the elements needed to play the lottery profitably are already in the LP archive and it is just a data manipulation/programming problem to get there. How many more ways are there to analyze the lottery than have been presented at the LP?

2) What if the ideal new idea ends up being a programming idea?

3) RJOH, I know you program....wouldn't it be nice to see program snippets that would help you in your anaylysis. And think, you might not have to recreate the wheel that someone else has already created.

4) In addtion, you might find code that takes less lines and runs quicker.

From a Todd point of view...

1) He would be appealling to a larger demographic ..hopefully resulting in more web hits.

2) He would have the now public domain code to incorporate into his website as he sees fit.

In the end, I think having a programming section would do nothing but enhance the capability of the member, and add a new dimension to the LP.

Point #1 is where to start. If you dig, you will find it.

There are no doubt proprietary spreadsheets  that will never be shared.

Mr. Excel has some good books, CD's and DVD's, invest in yourself. 

Without serious communication, any programming might be an evasive thing. Not every idea has the worth to be automated.

Get a Gold or Platinum membership and drill with the resources to get an handle what is already available.

DD

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19829 Posts
                    Posted: October 26, 2010, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

I was only referring to ideas that could win a lottery.  Factoring 3947 probably have no value to anyone but you so I doubt if anyone else would have any interest in programming it in VBA for Excel.

Evil Looking       

United States
                      Member #5599
                      July 13, 2004
                      1185 Posts
                      Posted: October 27, 2010, 10:37 am - IP Logged

Point #1 is where to start. If you dig, you will find it.

There are no doubt proprietary spreadsheets  that will never be shared.

Mr. Excel has some good books, CD's and DVD's, invest in yourself. 

Without serious communication, any programming might be an evasive thing. Not every idea has the worth to be automated.

Get a Gold or Platinum membership and drill with the resources to get an handle what is already available.

DD

Hi,

There are members here who have already done and continue to do what you have mentioned. I'm sure there are other members like myself who have already done much, much than you assume

I was hoping to indirectly convince Todd to add this new catagory so that the LP would not be a referral service to Mr Excel and that the members don't have to define thier lives by how many posts they had to dig through to find an answer to a programming question. Hopefully he will realize that it is a niche that will draw more people to the LP and make it a more user friendly site for the needs of some of its members.

An added bonus to adding a programming catagory would be that people could see programming languages in action. If the a member wants to step up thier game by learning programming, they can see and evaluate which language and/or software is best for them. It would also reduce thier learning curve to generate good lottery systems code. I which case, we might all prosper.

Again, I think adding a programming section is a win win for Todd and the members both.

Thanks for you input Delta Draw.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                        Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23273 Posts
                        Posted: October 27, 2010, 11:23 am - IP Logged

Hi,

There are members here who have already done and continue to do what you have mentioned. I'm sure there are other members like myself who have already done much, much than you assume

I was hoping to indirectly convince Todd to add this new catagory so that the LP would not be a referral service to Mr Excel and that the members don't have to define thier lives by how many posts they had to dig through to find an answer to a programming question. Hopefully he will realize that it is a niche that will draw more people to the LP and make it a more user friendly site for the needs of some of its members.

An added bonus to adding a programming catagory would be that people could see programming languages in action. If the a member wants to step up thier game by learning programming, they can see and evaluate which language and/or software is best for them. It would also reduce thier learning curve to generate good lottery systems code. I which case, we might all prosper.

Again, I think adding a programming section is a win win for Todd and the members both.

Thanks for you input Delta Draw.

I have kicked around this idea, and I agree it is a good one.  My main reservation is that many of these types of discussions turn into advertisements for people selling software.  It takes a lot of effort to police the forums and removing all the spam, so I have been hesitant to take on the extra load this would cause.  It's not that I refuse to do it, but I have just never been able to commit to it so far.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                          Member #5599
                          July 13, 2004
                          1185 Posts
                          Posted: October 27, 2010, 11:49 am - IP Logged

I have kicked around this idea, and I agree it is a good one.  My main reservation is that many of these types of discussions turn into advertisements for people selling software.  It takes a lot of effort to police the forums and removing all the spam, so I have been hesitant to take on the extra load this would cause.  It's not that I refuse to do it, but I have just never been able to commit to it so far.

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to consider the progamming idea. As always, I respect your decision.

On the down side, given the mixed response and volume of posts, it appears that the membership is thrilled about the idea. So, even though the idea makes perfect sense to me, its time has not come. Maybe I'll try again in a few years. *S*

Thanks again.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                            Tx
                            United States
                            Member #4570
                            May 4, 2004
                            5180 Posts
                            Posted: October 27, 2010, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to consider the progamming idea. As always, I respect your decision.

On the down side, given the mixed response and volume of posts, it appears that the membership is thrilled about the idea. So, even though the idea makes perfect sense to me, its time has not come. Maybe I'll try again in a few years. *S*

Thanks again.

Maybe those who do programming and also are members here at LP are relatively too few and maybe most of those few do so with Excel, but regardless of what or which "Language" they use, maybe they for the most part like to keep their ideas and code to themselves and their code for sure, this being lottery related the more reason to not want to share their code, even if it was a game or some sort of non lottery application they probably would not share the code, maybe just not too important tidbits every now and then.

------------

At SourceForge maybe the only important lottery application is "WinHunter" and even that is a "One Man" project.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19829 Posts
                              Posted: October 28, 2010, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

Maybe those who do programming and also are members here at LP are relatively too few and maybe most of those few do so with Excel, but regardless of what or which "Language" they use, maybe they for the most part like to keep their ideas and code to themselves and their code for sure, this being lottery related the more reason to not want to share their code, even if it was a game or some sort of non lottery application they probably would not share the code, maybe just not too important tidbits every now and then.

------------

At SourceForge maybe the only important lottery application is "WinHunter" and even that is a "One Man" project.

I think most LP members judge an idea by the results it produces so members may be hesitant to share any ideas that haven't produced a winner.  I've seen several members share their code for Excel when someone asked for something they had and there have been some who actually wrote code for members asking for help.

Andrew, the creator of the WINHunter program, use to be an active LP member but hasn't posted anything in over 6 years so he probably abandon that project.

Evil Looking