Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Active Topics - Programming

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 6 years ago by LANTERN.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Should the active topics include:

Programming - YES [ 11 ]  [68.75%]
Programming - NO [ 5 ]  [31.25%]
Total Valid Votes [ 16 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23274 Posts
Posted: October 28, 2010, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to consider the progamming idea. As always, I respect your decision.

On the down side, given the mixed response and volume of posts, it appears that the membership is thrilled about the idea. So, even though the idea makes perfect sense to me, its time has not come. Maybe I'll try again in a few years. *S*

Thanks again.

Don't give up so easily.  Much of the purpose I post my reasoning (on any topic) is to see if there is anyone who could offer suggestions and/or counter-proposals that would address my concerns.  I rarely post anything like this is order to slam the door shut on something, and it is not intended to be the final word on a topic.

In fact, many things I have programmed over the years have come after some good healthy discussion with various members, whether that occurs in private or on the forums.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
    Member #13130
    March 30, 2005
    2171 Posts
    Posted: October 28, 2010, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

Maybe those who do programming and also are members here at LP are relatively too few and maybe most of those few do so with Excel, but regardless of what or which "Language" they use, maybe they for the most part like to keep their ideas and code to themselves and their code for sure, this being lottery related the more reason to not want to share their code, even if it was a game or some sort of non lottery application they probably would not share the code, maybe just not too important tidbits every now and then.

------------

At SourceForge maybe the only important lottery application is "WinHunter" and even that is a "One Man" project.

Maybe consolidate all the code and formulas that have been posted before in to one place ... or a directory of sorts that links to them. That'd probably take a "community" effort. Idea

I think folks don't so much mind helping each other as they mind seeing the same simple "How do I ... ?" asked for the 10th time.
    RTFM .. er .. I mean .. "Search is your friend". Big Smile

-----------------------

The response depends on what, exactly, is being asked....

Easy (like Sunday morning): How do I (some certain action on the data) ? : the simplest reply will be a link to the right thread. If it's "new", someone usually cheerfully answers in a day or two.

Medium rare: Have something I'm working on and am stuck at (code section) ....
    someone trying to learn and may be able to help you back later. Flavors of VBA|BASIC get the quickest reply.

(I did it) My wayCool: What kind of results do you get when you (certain calculations taken on past results) ?
    I usually get quick, on-topic replies and no one has to "share" any code. Language independent. Wink

Shields up!: Any new ideas out there, and can you write the code for me?
    As useful as an out-of-reach (but, not out of smell) dead woodchuck under a porch in mid-summer Texas. Avoid.

Battle Stations!!: I can't code so much as a 'for-next' loop (and can't be bothered to learn) but I'm pulling a new hare-brained idea out of my ... ear... every 2 minutes. Can you write a program for each one of them and for each minor change the voices in my head suggest? Danger, Will Robinson! Time-wasting, Headache-inducing, Energy Vampire! Run! Run!! Sulk Off

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
      Member #5599
      July 13, 2004
      1185 Posts
      Posted: October 28, 2010, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Don't give up so easily.  Much of the purpose I post my reasoning (on any topic) is to see if there is anyone who could offer suggestions and/or counter-proposals that would address my concerns.  I rarely post anything like this is order to slam the door shut on something, and it is not intended to be the final word on a topic.

In fact, many things I have programmed over the years have come after some good healthy discussion with various members, whether that occurs in private or on the forums.

Hi,

Because you have assumed all the risks and responsibilities that come with running the LP, I always have and always will respect your decisions. It’s also the reason that I don’t push you for an idea that I have put out there.

If you’re looking for additional rational as to why you might want to add another category, consider the growth of the site. By using the simple Disney ploy of incorporating new visible change members will want to return more often just to see what it’s about or to just find out what else you might have done (more hits). To help equalize your work load, drop a category with low activity ( hmmm, would the lottery gadget qualify? *S*)

So when it comes to the programming category, beta test. Base its longevity as a category based on activity and interest. If all the negative what ifs materialize, drop and try another idea/category. Regardless, you will have generated more interest in the LP and better definition of what your membership really responds to.

For those who have posted comments…Thanks

I enjoy the comments even if we agree to disagree. *S*

As with trying anything new there are a lot of what if , how will it play, and can it work scenarios. But , the fact is, you really don’t know till you jump in. When it comes to trying a programming category, it made sense to me on a lot of different levels. Enough, that it was worth submitting a posting on the LP.

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23274 Posts
        Posted: October 28, 2010, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

Because you have assumed all the risks and responsibilities that come with running the LP, I always have and always will respect your decisions. It’s also the reason that I don’t push you for an idea that I have put out there.

If you’re looking for additional rational as to why you might want to add another category, consider the growth of the site. By using the simple Disney ploy of incorporating new visible change members will want to return more often just to see what it’s about or to just find out what else you might have done (more hits). To help equalize your work load, drop a category with low activity ( hmmm, would the lottery gadget qualify? *S*)

So when it comes to the programming category, beta test. Base its longevity as a category based on activity and interest. If all the negative what ifs materialize, drop and try another idea/category. Regardless, you will have generated more interest in the LP and better definition of what your membership really responds to.

For those who have posted comments…Thanks

I enjoy the comments even if we agree to disagree. *S*

As with trying anything new there are a lot of what if , how will it play, and can it work scenarios. But , the fact is, you really don’t know till you jump in. When it comes to trying a programming category, it made sense to me on a lot of different levels. Enough, that it was worth submitting a posting on the LP.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, it's just that it's not addressing my primary concern about the additional spam it will bring, with every response being peppered with "my software solves this problem", rather than a discussion of programming.  I could certainly delete such posts, but my fear is that it will add a ton of new delete requirements on my part, and the constant moderation will bring lots of negative remarks about the moderation.  (i.e., sour grapes by people who get their posts deleted.)

If there was a way to address this concern, that would help.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: October 28, 2010, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

I was looking at a post a few days ago and noticed the member number was like 99,5##.

At some point the amount of traffic is going to be more than one person can moderate.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
            Tx
            United States
            Member #4570
            May 4, 2004
            5180 Posts
            Posted: October 28, 2010, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

Maybe consolidate all the code and formulas that have been posted before in to one place ... or a directory of sorts that links to them. That'd probably take a "community" effort. Idea

I think folks don't so much mind helping each other as they mind seeing the same simple "How do I ... ?" asked for the 10th time.
            RTFM .. er .. I mean .. "Search is your friend". Big Smile

-----------------------

The response depends on what, exactly, is being asked....

Easy (like Sunday morning): How do I (some certain action on the data) ? : the simplest reply will be a link to the right thread. If it's "new", someone usually cheerfully answers in a day or two.

Medium rare: Have something I'm working on and am stuck at (code section) ....
            someone trying to learn and may be able to help you back later. Flavors of VBA|BASIC get the quickest reply.

(I did it) My wayCool: What kind of results do you get when you (certain calculations taken on past results) ?
            I usually get quick, on-topic replies and no one has to "share" any code. Language independent. Wink

Shields up!: Any new ideas out there, and can you write the code for me?
            As useful as an out-of-reach (but, not out of smell) dead woodchuck under a porch in mid-summer Texas. Avoid.

Battle Stations!!: I can't code so much as a 'for-next' loop (and can't be bothered to learn) but I'm pulling a new hare-brained idea out of my ... ear... every 2 minutes. Can you write a program for each one of them and for each minor change the voices in my head suggest? Danger, Will Robinson! Time-wasting, Headache-inducing, Energy Vampire! Run! Run!! Sulk Off

Yes, all the code already posted should be in 1 place and things easy to find.

I guess that lottery programming is harder to find than other kinds.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
              Member #5599
              July 13, 2004
              1185 Posts
              Posted: October 28, 2010, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

I don't disagree with what you're saying, it's just that it's not addressing my primary concern about the additional spam it will bring, with every response being peppered with "my software solves this problem", rather than a discussion of programming.  I could certainly delete such posts, but my fear is that it will add a ton of new delete requirements on my part, and the constant moderation will bring lots of negative remarks about the moderation.  (i.e., sour grapes by people who get their posts deleted.)

If there was a way to address this concern, that would help.

HI,

To answer your question...No, I do not have any suggestions or solutions for your concerns. I totally understand that handling all the potential start up problems might not be appropriate at this particular time. To be honest with you, I don't understand how you can currently handle what you do. As I said before, I will not push the issue. Why don't we just mull it around, leave the topic for another day, and lock the thread?

I really appreciate you taking your time for this.

For all of you reading this thread...Until you've started up and maintained a very successful website please respect his rational and decisions...as I do.

Thanks.

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                Tx
                United States
                Member #4570
                May 4, 2004
                5180 Posts
                Posted: October 28, 2010, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

I think most LP members judge an idea by the results it produces so members may be hesitant to share any ideas that haven't produced a winner.  I've seen several members share their code for Excel when someone asked for something they had and there have been some who actually wrote code for members asking for help.

Andrew, the creator of the WINHunter program, use to be an active LP member but hasn't posted anything in over 6 years so he probably abandon that project.

Yes, some people have been helped.

As to Andrew and WinHunter, Yes, nothing new in a long while, but maybe he has not quite abandoned it, just not updated it, maybe he has no new ideas for it, I wonder why he didn't make other lottery programs, it is like Marco maybe they think that there is only one "Right Way" or it is the only way that they know of, but "Many ways lead to Rome"

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."