Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 1:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A National Lottery During Our Lifetime

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19902 Posts
Posted: October 31, 2010, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

Our state lotteries are substantial and rewarding, depending upon which lottery is being played and the payout. However, do you forsee a national lottery in our lifetime -- 10 or 20 years from now? Who knows, a national lottery could generate billions of dollars (imagine someone winning a billion dollar lottery)?  The majority of us are impressed when a person wins 100 million dollars or more, of course, that's enough money to retire -- even after taxes.

Quite frankly, I don't think I'll live long enough to see no taxation on lottery winnings: maybe the next generation will be the recepient of that gift.

With the two multi state lotteries having odds of 1:175M and 1:195M never generating a jackpot over $400M, it would probably have to be a lottery with twice those odds and $5 a play to generate a billion dollars jackpot.  If it used a format like today's lotteries with weekly drawings and players willing to continue playing and losing while the jackpot builded up, it would probably fail unless all other lotteries with jackpots of $10M or more were discontinued.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10392 Posts
    Posted: November 9, 2010, 12:52 am - IP Logged

Why not something more like the El Gordo in Spain with lots of winners.

I'm not sue if there is any one big jackpot winner but I think the prizes get split a lot of ways.

Anyone familiar with how it's set up?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
      Member #75358
      June 1, 2009
      5345 Posts
      Posted: November 9, 2010, 1:05 am - IP Logged

Why not something more like the El Gordo in Spain with lots of winners.

I'm not sue if there is any one big jackpot winner but I think the prizes get split a lot of ways.

Anyone familiar with how it's set up?

Too many winners may defy the whole purpose of a National Lottery. Folks from different states will win and it will be like regular individual state lotteries.

The goal is for me to win like a billion bucks. The odds will be 317 billion to one.

Pick a combo from 72.4 billion combinations and cross my fingers....lol

Honduras
        Member #20982
        August 29, 2005
        4715 Posts
        Posted: November 9, 2010, 1:33 am - IP Logged

Too many winners may defy the whole purpose of a National Lottery. Folks from different states will win and it will be like regular individual state lotteries.

The goal is for me to win like a billion bucks. The odds will be 317 billion to one.

if powerball/MegaMillions reach: $400 Million dollars twice a year all you got to do is increase the price of each ticket from: $1 to $3 it will reach: $400 Million x 3 = $1.2 Billion...so it will reach: $1.2 Billion twice a year and that´s just Powerball alone, not counting Mega Millions...

Powerball will eventually reach: $1 Billion or $900 Million with the passage of time and inflation the ticket will go up from: $1 to $2 or $3....Stuff dont cost the same as they did in the, 90´s and that´s just a 20 or 15 year difference...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10392 Posts
          Posted: November 9, 2010, 10:18 am - IP Logged

joker17,

Within 25 seconds after the announcement of such a lottery coming into being there would be people claiming they have a system to beat it.

Green laugh

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.