Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New Lottery

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 6 years ago by johnb73.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kingston Ontario
Canada
Member #100367
November 10, 2010
10 Posts
Posted: November 10, 2010, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

How about a lottery that picked its winner out of the pool of players who actually purchased a ticket. Kind of like a super 50/50 draw. Any interest?

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: November 10, 2010, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

How about a lottery that picked its winner out of the pool of players who actually purchased a ticket. Kind of like a super 50/50 draw. Any interest?

I thought all Lotteries picked it's winners out of a pool of players that purchased a ticket. What?

emerald64's avatar - 8ball
      suffolk county, Long Island, NY
      United States
      Member #56449
      November 19, 2007
      1508 Posts
      Posted: November 10, 2010, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

I thought all Lotteries picked it's winners out of a pool of players that purchased a ticket. What?

huh ?  lol 

Kingston Ontario
        Canada
        Member #100367
        November 10, 2010
        10 Posts
        Posted: November 10, 2010, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

In most traditional lotteries you try and match radomly drawn numbers. If they picked from the pool of players that purchased, there would never be a carry over, someone would win every draw.

United States
          Member #75358
          June 1, 2009
          5345 Posts
          Posted: November 10, 2010, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

In most traditional lotteries you try and match radomly drawn numbers. If they picked from the pool of players that purchased, there would never be a carry over, someone would win every draw.

You mean they would pick a player instead of drawing numbers? How would they do that? They'd have to randomly pick the serial numbers on the back of your ticket? I don't understand. Or is it that you give them your name and they randomly pick a name?

I don't get it....lol

Kingston Ontario
            Canada
            Member #100367
            November 10, 2010
            10 Posts
            Posted: November 10, 2010, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

Yes, they would ramdomly pick your name or they could assign a number to your name. Say 10 million people buy a ticket worth $10. Thats $100 million dollars. The lottery administrator would keep $25 million, have a grand prize of $50 million and 25 secodary prizes of a $1 million each. Your odds of winning at least $1 million would be 26 out of 10,000,000 or 1 in 384,615. Our odds now in the traditional game of 6/49 are 1 in 13,900,000! I like 1 in just under 400 thousand better than 1 in just under 14 million!

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
              Northern Virginia
              United States
              Member #83350
              December 5, 2009
              1313 Posts
              Posted: November 10, 2010, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

This sounds similar to many state raffles, except they have more than one top prize winner.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

United States
                Member #75358
                June 1, 2009
                5345 Posts
                Posted: November 10, 2010, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

Yes, they would ramdomly pick your name or they could assign a number to your name. Say 10 million people buy a ticket worth $10. Thats $100 million dollars. The lottery administrator would keep $25 million, have a grand prize of $50 million and 25 secodary prizes of a $1 million each. Your odds of winning at least $1 million would be 26 out of 10,000,000 or 1 in 384,615. Our odds now in the traditional game of 6/49 are 1 in 13,900,000! I like 1 in just under 400 thousand better than 1 in just under 14 million!

OK, I got it now.

Yeah, Id go for it. Still, 400,000 is a lot of possibilities to beat. That's like trying to beat the p-3 straight, but 400 times harder. I have a hrad time already with only a 1000 to 1, imagine 400,000 to 1....lol That's why I don't playing the big games, except for once in a blue moon, I'll get a ticket or two. If i can try to beat the p-3 or p-4 on a regular basis, then I can make a comfortable living. I think that is a more reasonable approach and a more realistic goal for me. I'm just about there, so that's my take on it. The JP games are just too high in odds for me.

But why would the lottery administrator get so much money? 25 million dollars is too much for one person to have. There would have to be an investigation there. At 25 million a week, that's a hundred million a month. He'd be a billionairre in 10 months. I'd like to have his job....

Raven62's avatar - binary
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  49642 Posts
                  Posted: November 10, 2010, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

OK, I got it now.

Yeah, Id go for it. Still, 400,000 is a lot of possibilities to beat. That's like trying to beat the p-3 straight, but 400 times harder. I have a hrad time already with only a 1000 to 1, imagine 400,000 to 1....lol That's why I don't playing the big games, except for once in a blue moon, I'll get a ticket or two. If i can try to beat the p-3 or p-4 on a regular basis, then I can make a comfortable living. I think that is a more reasonable approach and a more realistic goal for me. I'm just about there, so that's my take on it. The JP games are just too high in odds for me.

But why would the lottery administrator get so much money? 25 million dollars is too much for one person to have. There would have to be an investigation there. At 25 million a week, that's a hundred million a month. He'd be a billionairre in 10 months. I'd like to have his job....

Thud See Ya!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Kingston Ontario
                    Canada
                    Member #100367
                    November 10, 2010
                    10 Posts
                    Posted: November 10, 2010, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

The lottery administrator is usually the government and they usually take 50% not 25%! Or if no one wins, closer to 75%! I think this game would appeal to the Powerball players or Mega Millions players, correct me if I'm wrong. And just think, if enough people played, we could make a billionaire over night!

United States
                      Member #75358
                      June 1, 2009
                      5345 Posts
                      Posted: November 10, 2010, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

The lottery administrator is usually the government and they usually take 50% not 25%! Or if no one wins, closer to 75%! I think this game would appeal to the Powerball players or Mega Millions players, correct me if I'm wrong. And just think, if enough people played, we could make a billionaire over night!

Just because the administratore works for the government doesn't justify him making 25 million or more every week. That's simply too much for such a job. They should pay him something like 50,000 a year, not 25 million a week. That's just rediculous.

Maybe this whole idea of the NEW LOTTERY isn't such a good idea afterall.

New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #17843
                        June 28, 2005
                        49642 Posts
                        Posted: November 10, 2010, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

A phantasm of phantom phantasmagoria for sure...

United States
                          Member #75358
                          June 1, 2009
                          5345 Posts
                          Posted: November 10, 2010, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

A phantasm of phantom phantasmagoria for sure...

What chart is this one?

New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #17843
                            June 28, 2005
                            49642 Posts
                            Posted: November 10, 2010, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

What chart is this one?

It's the one that's going to Win You all that Money!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: November 10, 2010, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

I like the concept.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke